Partial transparency in textures

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Partial transparency in textures

Post Jan 6th '15, 08:05

Is there a trick I'm forgetting about how to make partially transparent textures, or is it simply not possible? I've got a texture and a transparency mask and they're being merged together by Aorta into DDS files, but when I go in-game, the transparency mask seems to have been reduced to 1-bit color depth (e.g. things are either totally opaque or totally transparent). I seem to recall having had difficult with this before but I don't remember what the solution was or if there even was one at all.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jan 6th '15, 08:20

We definitely had partially transparent textures in EMR. So I know they're possible, but the specific pipeline escapes me. I don't think we used Aorta, as EMR's textures were jpgs (which I don't recommend): one image for the color, and one for the mask.

Crater Creator

Post Jan 6th '15, 09:11

did you check the opac_type settings in the mml script for said texture? opac_type="1" should be the correct setting iirc.

thedoctor45

Post Jan 6th '15, 23:06

That did it. Thanks!

Also fixed a problem I had been having with partial transparency in the Pfhor media, too.

Pfhorrest
California

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera