Importing sounds, text to speech?

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Importing sounds, text to speech?

Post Aug 27th '15, 21:48

I've found that ShapeFusion does sound export, but I can't find anything not tied to MacOS Classic that can import sounds. I don't know what I myself might be able to do. I'd need some soundfile-reading libraries, though I might be able to do the rest with ShapeFusion's source code. I'd also have to do a user interface for importing sounds.

I've half-thought of doing new female-Bob sounds, but I've wanted to do that with text-to-speech software. Although it's easy to find text-to-speech readers, there are some problems:

* Laughter. I can't figure out how do it in TTS systems.

* Legal problems. Some TTS voices have "personal" pricing that only permits use on one's machines, without "broadcast rights". That's also apparently true of Apple's voices. Some others have "personal" pricing that is more ambiguous about that, saying "persona" use only, as opposed to "commercial" use. I'd want distribution over the Internet with generating only on my home machine, and free distribution at that.

lpetrich

Post Aug 27th '15, 21:59

Why do you want TTS for the female Bob sounds? Don't have a female friend who could read a few lines for you? Seems like a natural human voice would be better if you can find one.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 27th '15, 22:34

I'd imagine Loren doing his own versions in a high pitched voice would be best of all.

Wrkncacnter

Post Aug 28th '15, 10:59

The latest ShapeFusion should be able to import sounds as well.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 30th '15, 03:26

treellama wrote:The latest ShapeFusion should be able to import sounds as well.

Indeed it is able to do so.

You open a sounds file, and you select a sound class to replace the sounds in. On the bottom right is a listing of the ID's of the individual sounds in that class. Double-click to play one of those sounds.

To import a sound, select its destination, either 8-bit Sounds or 16-bit Sounds. Then do
Sounds > Import sound
and select the soundfile to import, either AIFF or WAV. AIFF files must have filetype .aif to be recognized -- ShapeFusion is not currently set to recognize .aiff

To delete a sound, select its ID and then do
Edit > Delete

To avoid going past the 5-sound limit, one may delete old sounds before adding new ones.

I've successfully tested all these instructions.

lpetrich

Post Sep 8th '15, 18:48

Hi,

One quick question: When you create a new class and import a sound, how do you use it? I noticed it comes in as Sound 215, 216, etc...

But where can you assign these sounds? They don't show up anywhere else in dropdown menus when you edit monsters in the physics file?

Thanks.

dustu

Post Sep 8th '15, 18:51

I don't think ShapeFusion will let you select new sound classes. You'll probably have to re-use existing ones.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 9th '15, 12:36

Ok.

Is this a planned feature in the future though? I only ask because ShapeFusion allows you to create a new class and assign sounds to it - but then you can't use it anywhere?

Thanks!

treellama wrote:I don't think ShapeFusion will let you select new sound classes. You'll probably have to re-use existing ones.

dustu

Post Sep 9th '15, 12:40

No, I don't think ShapeFusion has any planned features in the future.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 9th '15, 12:45

Ok. Thanks!

treellama wrote:No, I don't think ShapeFusion has any planned features in the future.

dustu

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera