Using Vasara in a Repair map

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
dustu
Cyborg

Hi,

I have a repair map I'm working on and I'd like to create 3 'wire' switches that I need to repair to exit the level successfully. Unfortunately, no matter what I do I end up always getting the opposite result. In other words, I have to take a healthy looking switch with wires and make it look mangled - then I can teleport out.

I keep thinking it'd be easy to fix just by doing the opposite but honestly, Vasara and the options "repair' and tag is active don't make sense to me when I specify a type of 'wire'. It seems to logically work when you insert chips, but I don't want users to insert a chip to 'repair' a wire switch.

I have attached my latest work-in-progress map. I'd be grateful if someone could look at this and tell me what I'm doing wrong. :)

By the way, Vasara kicks butt! Very nice.
Attachments
Plague.sceA.zip
(8.22 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

Without looking at your map, and doing a quick test in Forge, you need to start with a broken looking wire texture. Make sure to check the "repair switch" option. And make it a "platform", "light", or "trigger" switch; don't select the "wires" option.
dustu
Cyborg

Thanks Philtron.

I'll try this. Using the 'wires' option might be my problem. I'll report back here with my results. :)
philtron wrote:Without looking at your map, and doing a quick test in Forge, you need to start with a broken looking wire texture. Make sure to check the "repair switch" option. And make it a "platform", "light", or "trigger" switch; don't select the "wires" option.
dustu
Cyborg

Ok. As promised, I'm reporting back with my findings. It seems like there might be a bug with Vasara. I can only get Vasara to actually save the 'broken wire look' as the default look in 'Tag' and 'Chip Insertion' modes. All others revert back to 'normal looking wires' even if you specify the default as 'broken wire look'. This drove me crazy for hours today.

However, when I used 'Tag Switch' mode, it works perfectly. When I specify 'broken wire' as the default look, it stays as default look so I am able to adequately 'repair' the switch during game play.

I think this is a bug in Vasara. I'll alert Hopper.

Thanks for the tips Philtron.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

That's interesting. It might be a bug, but it also might be how it's supposed to work: I think even in Forge a switch will automatically switch to the "off" texture at the start, and in the case of the wires the "off" texture is the "broken wires" texture.

I'm betting that a solution would be this: if you set the wires to be a "light" or "platform" switch then also make sure that the light or platform it controls is initially active; by making the controlled light/platform initially active this should automatically set the switch texture to the "on" position (normal wires) and when you hit the wires they'll turn "off" (broken texture) and the light/platform will deactivate.
dustu
Cyborg

Actually, that's my problem currently. I can only get it to default to on (normal wires). I want to be able to find a broken wire setup and click it to 'repair' it and then teleport out. Right now this only works in 'Tag Switch' mode or 'chip insertion' mode. Other modes all fail b/c default is always normal wires no matter how I specify it when I save the level. :)
philtron wrote:That's interesting. It might be a bug, but it also might be how it's supposed to work: I think even in Forge a switch will automatically switch to the "off" texture at the start, and in the case of the wires the "off" texture is the "broken wires" texture.

I'm betting that a solution would be this: if you set the wires to be a "light" or "platform" switch then also make sure that the light or platform it controls is initially active; by making the controlled light/platform initially active this should automatically set the switch texture to the "on" position (normal wires) and when you hit the wires they'll turn "off" (broken texture) and the light/platform will deactivate.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

Well then maybe it is Vasara. It works in forge, although the sound when you hit the wires is that of a switch and not the electrical sound of wires.

By the way. Why are you putting the quotes at the bottom of your posts. It's a little strange, and it doesn't chronologically make sense to put the quote you're replying to <i>after</i> your actual reply. Typically people reply after the quoted part.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

philtron wrote:By the way. Why are you putting the quotes at the bottom of your posts. It's a little strange, and it doesn't chronologically make sense to put the quote you're replying to <i>after</i> your actual reply. Typically people reply after the quoted part.
Thank you, that's been driving me nuts and I was about to say the same thing.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Infinity manual, page 43 wrote: Repair
If the Map Parameters indicate that the level is a repair mission, this switch has to be activated before the player can exit the level.
The story for your map can call it whatever you want of course, but as far as the engine is concerned, that's all that "repair" means. Can't you just do a tag switch and then align the texture so the wires part is showing?
dustu
Cyborg

philtron wrote:Well then maybe it is Vasara. It works in forge, although the sound when you hit the wires is that of a switch and not the electrical sound of wires.

By the way. Why are you putting the quotes at the bottom of your posts. It's a little strange, and it doesn't chronologically make sense to put the quote you're replying to <i>after</i> your actual reply. Typically people reply after the quoted part.
Hmmmm. I guess I never really thought about it. This is how my email works by default so I was just used to that. I'll avoid it in the future since it seems to bug people. :)
dustu
Cyborg

Crater Creator wrote:
Infinity manual, page 43 wrote: Repair
If the Map Parameters indicate that the level is a repair mission, this switch has to be activated before the player can exit the level.
The story for your map can call it whatever you want of course, but as far as the engine is concerned, that's all that "repair" means. Can't you just do a tag switch and then align the texture so the wires part is showing?
I do do that but it does not work with wires. "messed up' wires show up but then 'good wires' are automatically the default when I save the level...no matter what I do.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

That happens when the switch type is "wires"; all that switch type does is make the switch use the opposite textures for on/on, and be "only activates once" and "only triggered by weapons" no matter what.

If you set the switch type to "tag" (or anything else but "wires"), and then align the texture so that you see the wires, then you will see the broken wires when the switch is off, and they will become healthy wires when the switch turns on.

Basically, just make it a switch, not wires, and then "misalign" the texture so that the wires part of it shows instead of the switch part of it.
dustu
Cyborg

Pfhorrest wrote:That happens when the switch type is "wires"; all that switch type does is make the switch use the opposite textures for on/on, and be "only activates once" and "only triggered by weapons" no matter what.

If you set the switch type to "tag" (or anything else but "wires"), and then align the texture so that you see the wires, then you will see the broken wires when the switch is off, and they will become healthy wires when the switch turns on.

Basically, just make it a switch, not wires, and then "misalign" the texture so that the wires part of it shows instead of the switch part of it.
I have it working now. Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the helping hand. :)