Mouse cursor a bit off in Forge, Sheepshaver

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Post Aug 4th '08, 14:19

Technical specifications:
  • MacBook Pro with 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, and 2GB of RAM
  • Mac OS 10.5.4
  • Sheepshaver 2.3
  • Mac OS 8.5
  • 512mb RAM given to OS 8.5
  • 800mb HD for OS 8.5

Sheepshaver has been running very nicely for me (except for few occasional and understandable crashes) but the only thing that really affects my work is that the other than default cursors in Forge seem to have their "target/click point" (or whatever it's called) a bit off. It seems like the point is always defaulted in the upper left corner of the cursor, no matter what cursor it is. So the + that you use when drawing lines/polygons is used the actual target point is still in the upper left corner.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if there is a fix for this or something?
My first idea was to replace all the cursors with a default cursor via ResEdit but it has been ages since I used ResEdit and I couldn't find the + cursor, although I did find all the other cursors.

thanks in advance

JohannesG

Post Aug 4th '08, 23:48

Everyone experiences this and there is no fix (unless you want to fix it in the code). Use basilisk?

Wrkncacnter

Post Aug 5th '08, 00:32

W wrote:Everyone experiences this and there is no fix (unless you want to fix it in the code). Use basilisk?

I guess I'll look into Basilisk then, or try replacing the custom cursors with the default one in forge via Res Edit.
thanks

JohannesG

Post Aug 5th '08, 00:32

I spent a day trying to track this down and fix it once, and failed. The reason you don't see the + cursor in ResEdit is it's a hardware cursor: it's actually part of the ROM. Unfortunately, the ROM toolbox cursors don't seem to contain hotspot information, which really puzzles me how real Macs get it right!

Do people on other platforms using Basilisk II see the cursor with the right hot spot? Last time I tried BII on a Mac, the cursor was always an arrow.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 5th '08, 00:52

I've never tried it on a mac, but for me, it's always been the crosshair in the right spot.

Wrkncacnter

Post Aug 5th '08, 08:03

W wrote:Everyone experiences this and there is no fix (unless you want to fix it in the code). Use basilisk?

I can confirm: I have the same problem, but I can't offer a solution. In lieu of changing the cursors themselves, if you could circumvent SheepShaver from changing the cursor to anything other than the pointer in the first place, it would be considerably more usable.

Crater Creator

Post Aug 5th '08, 10:52

found this just a minute ago.
http://www.nomicro.com/SheepShaver.html

That might be a solution, although he does say that his fixes have been implemented into the main build by now.

JohannesG

Post Aug 5th '08, 11:47

Crater Creator wrote:In lieu of changing the cursors themselves, if you could circumvent SheepShaver from changing the cursor to anything other than the pointer in the first place, it would be considerably more usable.

This is exactly what I ended up doing. But it looks like Johannes is onto something, it's time for me to check CVS again.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera