Charge-up jitter

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Post Feb 23rd '09, 00:20

I'd like the secondary trigger on my gauss rifle to charge up and release a particularly powerful shot on second trigger. However, the weapon starts to jitter absurdly when charged up, defeating the purpose of this sniper-type attack.

Is there any way to suppress or vary the jitter amplitude with scripts? There doesn't seem to be a field for that in Anvil.
Catharsis

Post Feb 25th '09, 06:51

Sounds like a Sniper Rifle in need of some Diazepam.

Anyways, since you seem to be using the Charged shot, which always does that charged shaking animation, I'm not sure how you would avoid the shaking, rather than just using a regular shot type with a large downtime between shots and charging the secondary bullet to a charged variety. (like The Assault Rifle's grenades) (atleast in Anvil)

You do know that the shot fires straight regardless of the shaking correct? So although the rifle would look like it is absurdly shaking, it still fires a perfect line.

You could probably add some frames/sounds that make it look more like the person is taking steady aim when charging. (heavy breathing perhaps instead of beeping?)
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Feb 26th '09, 01:58

Zott wrote:You do know that the shot fires straight regardless of the shaking correct? So although the rifle would look like it is absurdly shaking, it still fires a perfect line.

That could be read the wrong way. To clarify: the projectile isn't affected by the shaking effect on the weapon-in-hand. Where it goes depends on the inaccuracy and other flags/numeric values in the physics model.

Crater Creator

Post Feb 26th '09, 09:10

Zott wrote:You do know that the shot fires straight regardless of the shaking correct? So although the rifle would look like it is absurdly shaking, it still fires a perfect line.

Except that it's rather difficult to aim the accurate shot if the screen is shaking.

I will just use a non-charging shot with a large recovery time. Too bad, I wanted the downtime to take place before the shot rather than afterwards (to allow immediate follow-up fire by the primary trigger).
Catharsis

Post Feb 27th '09, 04:00

If you ask nicely, treellama or another developer might be willing to add an mml setting to disconnect the shake effect from charged weapons in a future version of Aleph One. Another possibility is there's already some way to do this we don't know about.

If your only concern is aiming the shot, have you considered enabling the crosshairs? It's F8 by default.

Crater Creator

Post Feb 27th '09, 11:50

Catharsis wrote:I'd like the secondary trigger on my gauss rifle to charge up and release a particularly powerful shot on second trigger...

FINAL FLASH!
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Feb 27th '09, 12:01

Crater Creator wrote:If you ask nicely, treellama or another developer might be willing to add an mml setting to disconnect the shake effect from charged weapons in a future version of Aleph One. Another possibility is there's already some way to do this we don't know about.

OK, I'll just work around it for now.

If your only concern is aiming the shot, have you considered enabling the crosshairs? It's F8 by default.

It's hard to focus on your little crosshairs if there's a giant SMG sprite bobbing around in the image...

@Moppy: ?
Catharsis

Post Feb 27th '09, 12:28

Catharsis wrote:@Moppy: ?

Look up Final Flash on YouTube.

If your charged shot was anything like what you find in the search results, I'm sure anybody would get a real kick out of your new weapon.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Feb 28th '09, 02:29

Catharsis wrote:It's hard to focus on your little crosshairs if there's a giant SMG sprite bobbing around in the image...

Aha. I think we're getting to the root of the problem. I'll bet the magnitude of the shaking is proportional to the size of the sprite. On another note, you can adjust the size of the crosshair, but not dynamically.

Crater Creator

Post Feb 28th '09, 23:30

Sounds like you aren't changing the sprite like I originally thought.

If so, I was going to say that it would be very difficult to aim through the gun using a sprite. Heck, the SMG doesn't even fire to precisely where the sprite shows it aiming towards.

If you did charge the sprite, you could do what some people did for the original Marathon and add a crosshair/laser to the sprite which would show at the center of the screen. You could even make it look really cool with transparencies in Aleph One.

Too bad, I wanted the downtime to take place before the shot rather than afterwards (to allow immediate follow-up fire by the primary trigger).

You could always do the Assault Rifle Method where the charged shot and the normal shot are delayed separately (IE, like the grenades), though it would let you fire the powered up version at the same time as the regular shot, and would not have an animation associated with it...
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera