Platform oddness

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Post Jun 6th '09, 14:14

While I was trying to make a room with a complex platform trick, I think I have found a bug. I've been testing it thoroughly and haven't been able to find too much of a pattern. I'm uploading the room I made for anyone who's interested and ill explain the little pattern I have found.

[attachment=2797:Platformtest.zip]

When you stand on polygon 8, poly 20 is activated and a chain reaction should happen so all polygons move. When done, the room should look like it has been diagonal flipped.
However, poly 18 doesnt activate its neighbours. When I made it contract from ceiling, initially extended or "activate adjacent platform" on activation or at each level, instead of on deactivation, it all works fine. However, when you go to polygon 20 and check initially non-extended, it doesnt work either, while it does contract from ceiling. When you make it contract from floor, it does work in all cases. So for polygon 20 it's the other way around.

I suppose I can get around this bug but i thought it was worth mentioning anyway.

PS: I've only done the thorough testing in forge, but i noticed that in aleph one something wasnt working properly either, so i assume aleph one has a similar bug.
PPS: the room was made in rubicon textures. If your opening it with your infinity shapes, you might want to nuke&pave it first.
PPPS: mostly @treellama: should I report this on sourceforge? I dunno if its something you actually want to fix. Since forge has it too, older maps may count on it...
Attachments
Platformtest.zip
(4.49 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Last edited by Drictelt on Jun 6th '09, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Jun 6th '09, 16:20

I fixed it by giving platform 18 a definite floor height of -1.5 wu and a definite ceiling height of 2.0 wu.
The same is true for platform 14. You've missed to fill in the floor and ceiling height for the platform.

I think the problem has to do with when you auto calc. the floor and ceiling height of a platform.
Last edited by goran on Jun 6th '09, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Jun 6th '09, 16:47

Now that's peculiar.

You specify floor and ceiling height for every platform?
Last edited by Drictelt on Jun 6th '09, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Jun 6th '09, 16:51

Yes, since many years ago when I first discovered that auto calc. wasn't reliable.

goran

Post Jun 6th '09, 20:15

goran wrote:Yes, since many years ago when I first discovered that auto calc. wasn't reliable.

Ditto.

For whatever reason, auto-calc is massive fail.
Kurinn

Post Jun 7th '09, 14:23

Aleph One just reads the heights Forge writes into the map file, so there's no need to file a bug :)

treellama
Pittsburgh

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera