Making liquids invisible?

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Post Aug 21st '09, 07:35

I wonder, is it possible to make liquids invisible so that it seems like the player can fly by pressing the Run/Swim button?
Toshiba Dynabook Satellite PAG4510PME
Windows XP Home Edition + Service Pack 3 (Japanese)
40GB HDD
512MB RAM

Still in full working condition....
User avatar

Comokanu

Post Aug 21st '09, 08:43

Comokanu wrote:I wonder, is it possible to make liquids invisible so that it seems like the player can fly by pressing the Run/Swim button?


Return to Marathon did it.
Changed the underwater sound to creepy ass outer space noise.
There was also no color.
So yes it can be done. I personally do not know how.

However, you can download that scenario and look into the physics, shapes, and other stuff and find something out of the ordinary that may be responsible for the removal of that shade of color you see when you jump into an ocean in game.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Aug 21st '09, 09:53

MoppyPuppy wrote:Return to Marathon did it.
Changed the underwater sound to creepy ass outer space noise.
There was also no color.
So yes it can be done. I personally do not know how.

However, you can download that scenario and look into the physics, shapes, and other stuff and find something out of the ordinary that may be responsible for the removal of that shade of color you see when you jump into an ocean in game.


I downloaded Chapter One of the Scenario, but it was one of those .sit files and I couldn't open it.... can someone else look inside?
Last edited by Comokanu on Aug 21st '09, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
Toshiba Dynabook Satellite PAG4510PME
Windows XP Home Edition + Service Pack 3 (Japanese)
40GB HDD
512MB RAM

Still in full working condition....
User avatar

Comokanu

Post Aug 21st '09, 12:15

I believe with the faders element of mml (otherwise it's the liquids element), you can change the color of underwater faders. Making the color white should make the liquid 100% transparent. If you give the liquid's texture a layer mask so that it has 0% opacity, your liquid is invisible. The only thing you'd have to do then is change the map colors (probably with mml's automap element), the liquid's sounds and toggle "fires under media" for all weapons.
Last edited by Drictelt on Aug 21st '09, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate
User avatar

Drictelt

Post Aug 21st '09, 12:19

Drictelt wrote:I believe with the faders element of mml (otherwise it's the liquids element), you can change the color of underwater faders. Making the color white should make the liquid 100% transparent. If you give the liquid's texture a layer mask so that it has 0% opacity, your liquid is invisible. The only thing you'd have to do then is change the map colors (probably with mml's automap element), the liquid's sounds and toggle "fires under media" for all weapons.


OK, but I'm no good with MML, can you give me the line of code I need to do this in MML?
Toshiba Dynabook Satellite PAG4510PME
Windows XP Home Edition + Service Pack 3 (Japanese)
40GB HDD
512MB RAM

Still in full working condition....
User avatar

Comokanu

Post Aug 21st '09, 14:28

Code: Select all
<marathon>
 <faders>
  <liquid index="0" opacity="0.00"/>
 </faders>
</marathon>

liquid index (0 in example) should be:
0: Water
1: Lava
2: Sewage
3: Jjaro
4: Pfhor

I haven't tested it, but normally this should work.
If you'd want to learn mml, all you have to do is open a big mml script somewhere, put the mml guide next to it and it will explain itself. That's how I learned it. (but mind the use of the slashes)
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate
User avatar

Drictelt

Post Aug 21st '09, 15:18

Drictelt wrote:
Code: Select all
<marathon>
 <faders>
  <liquid index="0" opacity="0.00"/>
 </faders>
</marathon>

liquid index (0 in example) should be:
0: Water
1: Lava
2: Sewage
3: Jjaro
4: Pfhor

I haven't tested it, but normally this should work.
If you'd want to learn mml, all you have to do is open a big mml script somewhere, put the mml guide next to it and it will explain itself. That's how I learned it. (but mind the use of the slashes)

OK, I'll test it later, and is there a way to stop the oxygen meter decreasing underwater?
Toshiba Dynabook Satellite PAG4510PME
Windows XP Home Edition + Service Pack 3 (Japanese)
40GB HDD
512MB RAM

Still in full working condition....
User avatar

Comokanu

Post Aug 21st '09, 17:35

comokanu wrote:OK, I'll test it later, and is there a way to stop the oxygen meter decreasing underwater?


As far as I know you can't 'turn off' oxygen decreasing under liquids, but you can make the player regain that oxygen instantly using a simple lua script.
User avatar

$lave

Post Aug 21st '09, 18:52

This MML removes the fader you see under the liquid, prevents any liquid from depleting oxygen, prevents lava/goo damage if you change the liquid from water to one of those liquids, takes away the sounds effects related to liquid entry etc., removes splash effects, and removes the ambient water sound that plays in the same polygon as that liquid. There is one number you must change if you want to adapt the script to another kind of medium: <liquid index="0" .../>. Refer to the MML document included with your download of Aleph One to find the proper replacement values.

EDIT: Fixed two things and made only one variable necessary.

EDIT 2: I think it might be possible prevent specific liquids from depleting oxygen while allowing others to do their thing. However, in a zero-g environment, would pools of liquid still exist? If you want me to try this, let me know. It also prevents vacuum levels from depleting oxygen. The best way I can see to work around this is to do what $lave suggested and resort to Lua. Until then, here you go.

Code: Select all
<marathon>

  <!-- Prevents any liquid from depleting oxygen -->
  <player oxygen_deplete="0" oxygen_replenish="0"/>
  
  <liquids>
    <!-- Modifying the "Water" medium. Change index="0" to the
     correct index you're adjusting -->
    <liquid index="0" submerged="0">
      <!-- Remove splash effects -->
      <effect type="0" which="-1"/>
      <effect type="1" which="-1"/>
      <effect type="2" which="-1"/>
      <effect type="3" which="-1"/>
      <!-- Remove sounds -->
      <sound type="0" which="-1"/>
      <sound type="1" which="-1"/>
      <sound type="2" which="-1"/>
      <sound type="3" which="-1"/>
      <sound type="4" which="-1"/>
      <sound type="5" which="-1"/>
      <sound type="6" which="-1"/>
      <sound type="7" which="-1"/>
      <sound type="8" which="-1"/>
      <!-- Nullify damage -->
      <damage type="-1" flags="0" base="0" random="0" scale="0"/>
    </liquid>
  </liquids>

  <!-- Remove screen tint under liquid -->
  <faders>
    <liquid index="0" opacity="0"/>
  </faders>

</marathon>
Last edited by irons on Aug 21st '09, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
User avatar

irons
(.Y.)

Post Aug 21st '09, 19:09

Oh yes, seems I haven't thought of everything.

Also, when adapting this script to another liquid, mind that the liquid index occurs twice (in the liquids and the faders element)
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate
User avatar

Drictelt

Post Aug 21st '09, 19:13

Drictelt wrote:Oh yes, seems I haven't thought of everything.

Also, when adapting this script to another liquid, mind that the liquid index occurs twice (in the liquids and the faders element)

I knew you were going to say this! [MTongue] I included the submerged atrribute in <liquid> so it would point to the fader we specified for "water." Which means no matter what liquid you have chosen, it will always point to the water fader, which is in turn blank. So there is only one index to adjust. In fact, messing with the <fader> stuff in my version will mess the script up and your liquid will have the blue tint while you're submerged.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
User avatar

irons
(.Y.)

Post Aug 21st '09, 19:23

Then again, if you put the script for lava, your water will still have lost its tint.
Last edited by Drictelt on Aug 21st '09, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate
User avatar

Drictelt

Post Aug 21st '09, 19:27

Yeah, but see what I said about pools of liquid in a zero-gravity environment. I was just trying to make it as simple as possible to edit. Newbies have a magical way of doing things not-quite-right ;)
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
User avatar

irons
(.Y.)

Post Aug 21st '09, 23:44

I think it is also possible to "fly" by just changing the gravity you are affected by when you run/walk in the physics model, but I've never really tried this.
User avatar

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Aug 21st '09, 23:49

It's kind of sucky. You can't go in any direction you'd like, which is probably what the original poster wanted. And, trust me, getting the idea of separate physics for run and walk into players' heads is really hard, especially since a lot of them have "always run" checked in their preferences. The invisible liquid idea is more versatile, even if it's also a lot more trouble.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
User avatar

irons
(.Y.)

Post Aug 22nd '09, 13:52

irons wrote:It's kind of sucky. You can't go in any direction you'd like, which is probably what the original poster wanted. And, trust me, getting the idea of separate physics for run and walk into players' heads is really hard, especially since a lot of them have "always run" checked in their preferences. The invisible liquid idea is more versatile, even if it's also a lot more trouble.


And also, you can only 'fly' if you have gravity acting on you right now for example, you can't just start flying upwards off the ground so you need to be moving upwards or downwards to make the player fly by using negative gravitational acceleration, so that's why I thought of this 'invisible liquid' thing.
Toshiba Dynabook Satellite PAG4510PME
Windows XP Home Edition + Service Pack 3 (Japanese)
40GB HDD
512MB RAM

Still in full working condition....
User avatar

Comokanu


Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users