Weland

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Post Oct 15th '09, 04:33

Amazing question: Weland also lets us use the M1 Ouch and Major ouch, but "Glue" does nothing, even when I put a "glue trigger", am I doing something wrong or is this just not actually implemented into Aleph One?
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Oct 15th '09, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Oct 15th '09, 12:16

Glue doesn't do anything. I don't think it did in M1 either?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Oct 15th '09, 13:02

then why is it there?
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Oct 15th '09, 13:06

There is lots of stuff in the map format that doesn't do anything in the engine. We already mentioned the "Locked Door" checkbox in this thread.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Oct 15th '09, 13:28

Though clever people can write Lua to accommodate all of these unused polygon types and such, which is likely why they're in Weland in the first place.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Oct 15th '09, 14:15

EDIT: Here's what they actually do, taken from the Pfhorte Guide.

[attachment=3153:Finder001.png]

If you're like me (and in this case, you probably are), you thought glue polygons made people stick to the ground or something. Nope.
Attachments
Finder001.png
Finder001.png (8.39 KiB) Viewed 3666 times
Last edited by irons on Oct 15th '09, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Oct 15th '09, 14:28

Huh, I had no idea either. So they're like another version of zone borders.

Damn, that'd be nice if they worked.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Oct 15th '09, 14:46

I don't think they're any more useful than monster triggers / invisible monster triggers.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Oct 15th '09, 14:49

Treellama wrote:I don't think they're any more useful than monster triggers / invisible monster triggers.

It's like glue activates all, monster/invis triggers activate all but what's in the glue.

I think. My logic may be flawed, I'm not feeling well at the moment.
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Oct 15th '09, 17:00

Aside from the obvious, what do major/minor ouch do?
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Map badly if you must, but MAP.
Pfheil

Post Oct 15th '09, 18:20

WastdJamacan wrote:It's like glue activates all, monster/invis triggers activate all but what's in the glue.

I think. My logic may be flawed, I'm not feeling well at the moment.

That's the impression I got from the description, that they worked independently of each other.

But, the world may never know.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Oct 15th '09, 19:06

Monster triggers in Aleph One activate monsters regardless of the polygon type they're on, so they would activate glue monsters too without special coding.

There were no regular monster triggers in Marathon from what I understand, so saying they work independently of each other is only correct in that they work in different games :)

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Oct 15th '09, 19:29

Well I certainly wasn't trying to be the authority on the matter since I hadn't heard of Pfhorte until well after Marathon Infinity (and Forge) came out, so M1 mapping is beyond me. The best I can say is that they don't work.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Oct 15th '09, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Oct 15th '09, 21:05

i think the major and minor ouch were the substitute for lava in m1. im not sure tho.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Post Oct 15th '09, 21:18

Pfhor goo and lava, yep. That's all they do, is damage the player like a liquid would.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Oct 15th '09, 22:21

Unlike liquid polygons, major/minor ouch damage a player no matter where he is in the polygon. Even if he's jumping across it an never touches the ground. This is why these poly types are great for really obnoxious levels.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Oct 15th '09, 22:25

Or making lava that actually generates heat.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Oct 16th '09, 02:02

Yeah, like Irons said; obnoxious levels.
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Map badly if you must, but MAP.
Pfheil

Post Oct 16th '09, 02:25

do they work in infinity?
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Post Oct 16th '09, 05:50

Minor Bug Report: Lava Trash Cans seem to be reversed... I placed a big one and got a little one (and a little and got a big)

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Oct 16th '09, 07:43

Other Problem: I told the map to randomly place Green Fighters, Orange Fighters, Sewage Yetis, Minor Drones, and Minor Big Drones, but instead I get Invisible Compilers, Explodabobs, MOAHS, and Major Drones.

I think the problem might be that the Monster Parameters window might be reading all of the data one line too low or something. I don't think this is a problem with the Item Parameters window though, because I told it to make me a random invisibility powerup and I got one.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Oct 16th '09, 13:08

Shadowbreaker wrote:Minor Bug Report: Lava Trash Cans seem to be reversed... I placed a big one and got a little one (and a little and got a big)

Are you playing on Kindergarten/Total Carnage, maybe? The engine will downgrade/upgrade scenery to make it more difficult.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Oct 16th '09, 16:16

Really? I thought that only enemies were enhanced/dehanced by changing difficulty levels. Does a Weland-made map, then, use difficulty level dependent scenery? Maps I made with Forge and Pfhorge both had difficulty level indifferent scenery.

Vale,
Dugit
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Oct 16th '09, 17:00

You have to mark the scenery "Is Alien" in the physics file.

treellama
Pittsburgh

PreviousNext

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera