Glow mapping... help!

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Is there a simple, easy way to do glow maps, and how do they look in-game?
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

Fishman92 wrote:Is there a simple, easy way to do glow maps, and how do they look in-game?
I believe that Aorta, a tool treellama wrote, handles these; if I'm mistaken, you can bundle the various texture layers together with MML. Rubicon X uses glow maps inside of the first couple levels, the first new one with the big dark ship you run around and the flood of enemies you evade. The Chimera door texture has a glow map applied to the red/green light on it. The main effect is that it doesn't fade out if the wall is darkly lit and your miner's light isn't close enough to illuminate it, while the rest of the wall does.

More briefly, so that you can answer these questions for yourself in the future:
1) read the engine documentation, and
2) examine preexisting graphically-intensive scenarios.
dude, seriously. dude.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

thermoplyae wrote:2) examine preexisting graphically-intensive scenarios.
I can't play rubicon at hi-res.... so i've never seen it in action

also, for the glow masks, what do you actually do? i read the guide to glow mapping, but it really isn't that clear
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

Whether or not you can see the glow masks in game, surely you can open the Rubicon textures with MSPaint and see for yourself how it's done.
dude, seriously. dude.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

I won't be able to open in paint, i'm on a mac lol, but i'll download rubicon.

Don't worry, all is working bwahaha
Last edited by Fishman92 on Oct 21st '09, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.