M!A1 sounds/physics/shapes issues

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
riserobotrise
Cyborg

okay, there are some issues I have that I'm trying to solve between the original Marathon 1 program and the M1A1 that I haven't yet expressed in my previous post.

Aside from thinks like gravity, game play pause while reading terminals, etc ... I have a few small issues that I like to see if I can modify just a bit, and for further intreast.

From what I remember, the player in Marathon didn't make any sounds when they died. I looked into the phyiscs model with the physics model editor (I believe this is called "PhysicsEditorOne") and saw that the player was already set to produce no sound at all.

while the first one is minor, the second one is a little more significant

All the civilian characters, no matter how they are killed (grenades, fist, pfhor staff) all have the "hard death" type of death. I don't know why this would be, but I looked in the shapes, physics editor etc, and couldn't figure out how to change it.

thanks
-rrr
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

riserobotrise wrote:okay, there are some issues I have that I'm trying to solve between the original Marathon 1 program and the M1A1 that I haven't yet expressed in my previous post.

Aside from thinks like gravity, game play pause while reading terminals, etc ... I have a few small issues that I like to see if I can modify just a bit, and for further intreast.

From what I remember, the player in Marathon didn't make any sounds when they died. I looked into the phyiscs model with the physics model editor (I believe this is called "PhysicsEditorOne") and saw that the player was already set to produce no sound at all.

while the first one is minor, the second one is a little more significant

All the civilian characters, no matter how they are killed (grenades, fist, pfhor staff) all have the "hard death" type of death. I don't know why this would be, but I looked in the shapes, physics editor etc, and couldn't figure out how to change it.

thanks
-rrr

Tip one: stop using Anvil.

Tip two: stop using anvil and try again.
Last edited by zero on Jan 23rd '11, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: THREAD NECROMANCY <3
"Escape will make me God"
goran
Vidmaster

riserobotrise wrote:From what I remember, the player in Marathon didn't make any sounds when they died. I looked into the phyiscs model with the physics model editor (I believe this is called "PhysicsEditorOne") and saw that the player was already set to produce no sound at all.
In the shapes file, go to the marine's sequences and bring up dying soft and dying hard. Set their last frame sound to -1.

MML guide
In the player element you can specify the death sound the marine makes.
riserobotrise wrote:All the civilian characters, no matter how they are killed (grenades, fist, pfhor staff) all have the "hard death" type of death. I don't know why this would be, but I looked in the shapes, physics editor etc, and couldn't figure out how to change it.

thanks
-rrr
IN THE PHYSICS EDITOR

The obvious thing, which I suspect you have already tried, is to clear always dies a hard death in behavior settings. Now, if that doesn't do it, bring up the sequences tab. Look for these sequences:

soft dead
hard dead
soft dying
hard dying

They effect how the bob look when he dies and is dead. If the bob appear to always die a soft death, then it is possible the soft and hard sequences are the same. Illustrating example:

soft dead = 6
hard dead = 6
soft dying = 7
hard dying = 7

Should this be the case, you'll have to look up the right sequences in the shapes file, and enter their IDs in the physics file.
Last edited by goran on Jan 23rd '11, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.