ShapeFusion sound editing bug

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

ShapeFusion sound editing bug

Post Sep 15th '19, 00:48

I’m using the latest (to my knowledge) Windows build from a few months ago, and adding a new sound to a slot that started out empty seems to result in Aleph One not playing the sound. So, for instance, if I add a new sound to the “unused 1” slot in the Infinity sounds file, Aleph One won’t play it. If I add one to the “unused 1” slot in Eternal’s sounds or the old Chronicles sounds file, it’s fine, since both games have a “breathing” sound there.

Is there any chance of this being fixed? As it stands, I’m strictly limited in the number of sounds I can use, which is disappointing.

For the record, I’ve also tested this going in with
Code: Select all
Player[0]:play_sound(6)
in the console. Silence. This only appears to be a problem with sound slots that were blank in the original Infinity sounds, though I will admit to not having tested all 214 of them.

ETA: wrkncacnter thought the sound ID numbers not being set was the problem, and so did I at first… but setting them doesn’t seem to have had any effect.

My sounds file is part of this release of Chronicles. If someone needs it uploaded separately I can do that as well.

…never mind, apparently Aleph One was continuing to load my old sounds file, even though I renamed it. The class ID was the issue after all. I’ll leave this up as a record of the solution, just in case anyone else has the same issue: If you want to add new sounds, they need a class ID other than -1 (probably a unique one).
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera