Crouching/Jumping?

The best of the Pfhorums.

Post Oct 2nd '06, 05:29

Because you're new I won't get on your case too much...
http://www.pfhorums.com/index.php?automodu...9&showentry=105
Godot = Irons

RyokoTK wrote:I'd just appreciate it if people would read topics in the past. DI comes up at least once every other month, and the topic lasts forever.

If you want, PM or message me some of the stuff you notice people keep asking, and I'll add it to the FAQ.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Oct 2nd '06, 06:27

Grayswandir wrote:Because you're new I won't get on your case too much...
http://www.pfhorums.com/index.php?automodu...9&showentry=105
Godot = Irons
If you want, PM or message me some of the stuff you notice people keep asking, and I'll add it to the FAQ.

LOL!, my bad. Sorry bout that then. I used to be on a while ago but I had a break during the period when Irons "left" , i read the posts about him leaving but i didn't know he returned. You had me fooled. God i look like a retard. Any way. I did the script myself and found out it is pretty cool, providing you ignore the crappy stuff such as no ambient sounds etc... I recorded it on snaps pro X but it is a lil laggy (hey im on a G3)

Ok, the upload tool is broken so Ill post link to my site dwnld 1mb: http://www.freeibforums.com/forums/index.p...type=post&id=35
ignore the "I haven't F**ken Registered Snaps Pro X covering it" trust me. Also it looks best at the end in lara croft view, you cant tell whats happening in 1st...:D
Yay I proved you wrong it works (not at what I would have liked but YAY)

Drake if you want the script just ask?
Last edited by Samus on Oct 2nd '06, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
Samus

Post Oct 2nd '06, 07:26

The best thing about Online marathon gaming is, Nobody leaves the games unless absolutely neccesary.

You'll think of that someday when you played Warcraft III (DOTA) on Thaicybergames.com.

"First blood" the victim leaves.
"GODLIKE!"a player of the opposing sides leaves.

Let's keep it that way with no-nonsense/modernizing-marathon scripting.

assassingao

Post Oct 2nd '06, 11:59

My apologies for the late response. I will go visit the link now.

Also I would appreciate the script. The jumping looks awesome.
John Drake
The world's retirement home. (Florida)

Post Oct 2nd '06, 11:59

For God's sake, how is it negative to, when people say "I want to change everything about this game that makes it special and fun so that it's just like all the other boring first person shooters out there" say to them "Why don't you just go play one of those other boring shooters out there then because they already do all that crap?"

We welcome seeing *new* stuff, but head shots and sniper rifles and jumping have been done so many times and we're so sick of them. They don't work right in Marathon, they're not fun, they never will be, just trust us instead of wasting all the time discovering it for yourself.
Last edited by treellama on Oct 2nd '06, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Oct 2nd '06, 12:03

Well you have convinced me of the uselessness of headshots and sniper rifles, but jumping just seems like it would be an actual improvement.
John Drake

Post Oct 2nd '06, 13:36

Ok, so you want to turn Marathon into some new game, like UT. Why? Why not just play UT? If you feel the need to make so you can jump, etc, don't give it to the public, for aforementioned reasons. The number of hosts that don't know what they're doing is pretty large. They would host any map, any script, anything. Especially if you use MML don't release it. It's asking for large numbers of people going OOS. It's quite pointless to create these things unless you want them for single player. I know that when I go on meta, I don't want to play some crazy game where you jump around, etc. It may be fun for one time, but not for more than that.
Mordekai

Post Oct 2nd '06, 13:41

Why is this topic more popular than the TGI one?

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Oct 2nd '06, 13:42

Marathon: Aleph One isn't alone in the problem of bad hosts. I remember back in UT days being nearly unable to find a server that didn't have instagib, low G, only one map in rotation, or some combination of the above. Blech.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Oct 2nd '06, 14:24

Well i dont plan to host online games with it. I happen to have a netmap with aliens on it so i can use it there and not force other people to play with jumping on it.
John Drake

Post Oct 2nd '06, 22:22

RyokoTK wrote:Why is this topic more popular than the TGI one?

because jupming and crouching is so awsome
the Bungie god

Post Oct 2nd '06, 22:42

Why is there all these halo fans wanting marathon to be just like other FPS? If you want to entertain yourself just get the SMG with four shots and a long recovery time and press F7 to zoom, like what Gray said beforeâ?¦
P-System

Post Oct 2nd '06, 22:55

I dont know why... but ALL fps games feature jumping and crouching...

GO PLAY HL2 SH#$ HEAD!

(personaly, i think jumping and croutching is more nescesary than headshot sniping etc script)
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Oct 2nd '06, 23:26

A jumping worked well in DI but I never really found a use to crouch in DI or any FPS for that matter only if its needed... So a jumping may work but like what Irons said it gets complicatedâ?¦
P-System

Post Oct 2nd '06, 23:55

yah, actualy... In theory, Crouching would bring up many complex issues that would put the developers 193% way out of their way to do somthing that isnt realy worthwhile... (ecsept for taking cover). Issues like... new sprite and shape keys to install for crouched positioned, new "hitspots" etc...

but jumping might be easyer... but might look like crap at the same time...
I do agree that jumping is also somewhat useless also
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Oct 2nd '06, 23:56

What about ruining maps because people can access areas that aren't intended to be accessed?

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Oct 3rd '06, 00:02

That would be a problem tooâ?¦ With the maps out there right now Jumping may add to angry or confused players. Crouching may work in something like house of pain or king of pain so players wont see their enemies heads go byâ?¦
P-System

Post Oct 3rd '06, 00:06

just follow Hamish's tips on how to introduce new textures into your set and slap no-jumping allowed signs on the respective areas
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Oct 3rd '06, 00:14

Yes, I'll just retcon The Gray Incident so I don't have to deal with stupid fucking jumping scripts.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Oct 3rd '06, 00:21

now that's what I call support. Glad you've changed your standards compared to what was in your readme
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Oct 3rd '06, 00:33

Bobwithkeycard wrote:just follow Hamish's tips on how to introduce new textures into your set and slap no-jumping allowed signs on the respective areas

With my way to jump, It only works if you submerge the map in water 1WU (any higher makes it unrealistic and if capslock is on you stay centerd in the air) higher the ground. So if you want an unjumpable place dont fill it with water. Also you would have to remake a map if you want to jump in it, so making from scratch would be better...
Samus

Post Oct 3rd '06, 00:50

Bobwithkeycard wrote:now that's what I call support. Glad you've changed your standards compared to what was in your readme

Thanks, asshole, but it's kind of hard to continue working on a scenario without the proper tools.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Oct 3rd '06, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Oct 3rd '06, 01:05

Bobwithkeycard wrote:just follow Hamish's tips on how to introduce new textures into your set and slap no-jumping allowed signs on the respective areas

One of many things wrong here: everyone else who was playing would need the new shapes.
Godot

Post Oct 3rd '06, 01:43

LOL! look what happened to this topic, it started off with someone asking a "stupid" question and now it has turned into a violent bloodbath. Every word said here is rebutted with insults :D Maybe we should change the topic title to stress relief and any one can come here and fire away any bad things they have to say!
Last edited by Samus on Oct 3rd '06, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.
Samus

Post Oct 3rd '06, 02:09

I dont know... lol
I kinda like this developer punching blood bath game thing we got here... its a creative way of thinking issues through! [MLaugh]
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

PreviousNext

Return to Legends