What will bungie do next?

For stupid topics only.
riserobotrise
Cyborg

upon reading the bungie wikipedia page, I came across this tidbit of information:
While Bungie planned on revealing a new game at E3 2008, Bungie studio head Harold Ryan announced that the unveiling was canceled. Bungie announced the project originally meant for E3 in October, a prequel and expansion to Halo 3 titled Halo 3: ODST. Bungie and Microsoft revealed the company was developing another Halo-related game, Halo: Reach, for release in 2010. Reach will be Bungie's last game in the Halo franchise.
which make me beg the question, what game will bungie develop next?

If its a marathon remake, I really hope they do it right. I can see bungie delivering a product that doesn't do very much justice to the original game.

No one from the original Marathon development team is left, aside from Jason Jones, but even he isn't very hands on anymore.

If that is the case however, we can only hope that a former hardcore marathoner somehow works for bungie now and becomes to project lead.
L'howon
Vidmaster

riserobotrise wrote:upon reading the bungie wikipedia page, I came across this tidbit of information:

If its a marathon remake, I really hope they do it right. I can see bungie delivering a product that doesn't do very much justice to the original game.

No one from the original Marathon development team is left, aside from Jason Jones, but even he isn't very hands on anymore.

If that is the case however, we can only hope that a former hardcore marathoner somehow works for bungie now and becomes to project lead.
What in any of that quote made you jump to the inference of a marathon remake. Even assuming we neglected the fact that it's a quote from a wiki page, there is nothing to substantiate the discussion of a remake. Can we move past the stage of a rejected child still pleading and hoping (15 years later) they'll be accepted back?
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
NXF
Cyborg

Bungie will likely create a whole new series and not go back to Marathon. Let's face it, not many people know about Marathon (unfortunately).

Personally, Bungie should create a new series because, well, we don't want them to lose any creativity or anything.
Horkeldorf
Cyborg

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24578

Well, they're up to something when they're finally finished with Halo. According to this anyway.
riserobotrise
Cyborg

Lh wrote:What in any of that quote made you jump to the inference of a marathon remake.
Lh wrote:What in any of that quote made you jump to the inference of a marathon remake.
IF its a marathon remake, I really hope they do it right.
I was stating a hypothetical, not as a guarantee.

but yeah, I kinda agree with what other people have said. They might make a new series, but there's also a chance they might go back to remaking a tried and proven success of a series like marathon. Its possible that the release of Marathon 2 on the xbox was thrown out there to see how bungie fans would react.

Although it also entirely possible that bungie might even step away from the first person shooter genre and do something completely different, like a 4x strategy game, or maybe their own version of a rhythm game like guitar hero (that would be interesting).

Bungie has already proven that it could make good game outside the FPS genre (as they did with myth: TFL), if there were to go into a different FPS series, or do a remake or sequel of marathon, most people wouldn't see it being too different from Halo.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

I think they'll make a game where you are a poo throwing monkey fighting an alien race that attacks Earth and wants to blow up the galaxy using floating circles. The alien race will be the Covenant, and the humans will all be united under the UNSC. Basically, it will be Halo, but you're a monkey, and you die on the first level every time because poop doesn't do any damage and takes 2 hours to reload. And instead of Halo, it will be called "Jim the Monkey and his Trusty Sidekick, Space-Pac."

No, but seriously, Bungie better do something that isn't Marathon or Halo related. In fact, it shouldn't even be an FPS. They should make a horror-based puzzle game. Or something.
Dugit
Vidmaster

I don't really care what Bungie does next. Just as long as people enjoy playing it.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
irons
Vidmaster

Dugit wrote:I don't really care what Bungie does next. Just as long as people enjoy playing it.
HINT: THEY WONT
gmanyo wrote:Basically, it will be Halo, but you're a monkey, and you die on the first level every time because poop doesn't do any damage and takes 2 hours to reload.
First, holy shit, what are you eating.

Second, straight from The Ultimate Fanfiction Writer's mouth:

QUOTE(Macsforever)Jason Newitt, hopping out of the Puma-looking vehicle, singing "If bats were blind" -- he'd picked it up for a song at a Warthog rally -- he felt this weird pain, first in his arm then radiating to his chest. Oh no, hadn't he read about this somewhere on the Internet? Those fucking Boulder drivers! They'd be the death of him yet, he thought, just before keeling over into one of those cute little purple covenant computers they like to place with all sorts of antennas and shit to make you think you're not really in a war zone in some ring world in some random ratsass alien community for the idle rich.

Now the weather here has been particularly fine of late, like spring almost, which is why, when Jason went down clutching his heart, his head landed only inches from some sort of shrubbery that had been fooled by this latest evidence of a fake world into prematurely flowering. "Well, will you look at that," Jason thought to himself, dying there on the ground and noticing how the colors of the petals blended delicately into one another at the margins. The sun was golden, the air was clear, the sky was bluer than on earth with only wispy clouds up very, very high. A pelican was going over at the moment, his last he figured, heading west. On second thought, it could be east. Who knew? Voices drifted across the lot in fragments, something about a year-end white sale.

Then a fugue from early childhood unfurled itself across his inner vision. He was standing on an overpass, idly dropping dirt clods onto the windshields of passing cars, and wondering where they were all headed off to in such an awful hurry. When I grow up, he thought, I'll have somewhere to go too. He tried to guess what he'd be and where he might be going then. Maybe a fireman, or a cowboy, or an advertising executive. Maybe to Bangladesh or Arizona. Then the scene shifted to somewhere in a deep wood, with birds calling to each other as the light faded and night came on. Where is everybody, he wondered, and why is it getting dark so soon? He tried to remember whether Daylight Savings was still in effect.

That was pretty much all the onboard recorder in his helmet picked up. The rest was just static with the occasional odd image of various dead marines he must have seen at one time or another, plus at one point, the face of some girl looking at him oddly from a relocation Pelican speeding past in the opposite direction...

Later, at the medical canopy, they said he'd been legally dead for 13 minutes when all of a sudden he sat bolt upright and asked if he'd gotten any new email. A moment later, noticing the medical environment for the first time, he stopped mid-sentence and looked around, confused. "OK, where are my purple hearts, you fuckers!" he demanded.

When Reggie got there he'd learned Jason been accusing everyone on the hospital staff of ripping him off ever since his nothing-less-than-miraculous revival. Finally, after soaking up two liters of a heavily morphinated IV drip, he calmed down a little, but still seemed out of it, distracted. Well, shit, no wonder.

"I had this weird dream," Jason said at length. "It was like I was in this huge white room and everyone I knew was there, but one guy was clearly in charge and everybody was looking at him with this kind of awe-struck wonderment. It was really creepy." "Who was the guy?" Reggie asked. "That was the creepy part," he said, looking down at his hands and then back up at Reggie. "It was Lou Gerstner."

Jason was lucky. This time. And the experience has clearly changed him. He was more reflective -- introspective and withdrawn. The team all noticed he had been spending a lot more time in the headquarters these days, catching up on the work he used to denigrate so vocally. Also, he was much calmer in combat situations.

A few days later Jason stopped Lou Gerstner, the Fire-team leader in the hallway and said, "Listen, I think we'd better come up with an idea for a new insertion plan rather than just come in there with our guns firing."

"Well, sure, OK I guess" Lou stammered. "But what makes you say that now?"

Jason got a faraway look for several minutes. Lou thought He'd lost him again into one of those comatose reveries he'd been given to slipping into ever since the incident by the covenant control room. But just as Lou was about to walk away Jason said, "I think we need to focus on the larger issues."

"Yeah, like...?"

"Oh, I dunno, hunters, trip mines, camouflaged guerilla . Something like that."

"Covenant with trip mines?" Lou asked. It was just a suggestion, but from the way Jason looked at him, Lou could tell right away that wasn't what he had in mind.

"No," Jason said pointedly, getting right up nose-to-nose and looking straight into Lou's eyes. "No, that's not the ticket at all." Lou suddenly felt dirty. Guilty. As if he'd just been called somehow on a life that hadn't measured up to its God-given potential.

"Hey, back up a bit there pal. Jesus H. Christ on a Crutch! Just because you had some near-death thing doesn't give you the right to go around laying trips on people!" Lou was livid. "How dare he? The ungrateful little turd." "It was as if Jason looked right through me, though -- clearly he hadn't heard a single word I said!" And then Jason was off down the hall again, stopping staffers here and there to ask if they'd ever read any Barbara Tuchman.

Deeply disturbing. But it had gotten Lou thinking. They had originally started the team to test a sort of working hypothesis. The Internet on Halo was relatively new and it looked to everyone back then as if it was a fundamentally different kind of medium from, say, television and the major metropolitan newspapers. One thing everyone liked about it in those days was that the only people who seemed to know how it worked were mainly using it to screw around. However, Lou read something much deeper into that simple observation. He thought it was important to fuck off.

Maybe he'd been wrong though. Lou had to admit it was possible. With the prospect of the new Internet attracting a mass audience, the marketing boys had been rubbing their hands in anticipation of the rank-and-file sheep that would soon be here, fat first for the shearing, then the slaughter. But hold the phone, he thought, not everyone's as stupid as you'd like to think, and the options inherent in the medium will bear them out on this. Given the choice of alternative voices, The People will not choose your bread-and-circus lies, your blatherous blandishments, your empty entertainments. But what they'd do instead, Lou wasn't quite sure. He'd wait and see. Whatever it was, it surely would not be More Of The Same. The magic was way too strong this time around to ever be co-opted.

That was before the banner ads, of course. And Pointcast and the Major News Sites. And the websites of the great technical magazines from Ziff-Davis and CMP and Mecklermedia. Not to mention Harper Collins, TCI, Heinz 57 Varieties and Carter's Little Fucking Pills. Hey, kids, welcome to the revolution!

Resistance with covenant is still strong in the mountain regions, though, in the cultural backwaters, wastelands, along the fringes of empire. Lou could tell by the intelligence demonstrated in message board postings and chat room repartee, by the penetrating insight that's passed back and forth via online mailing lists, and the high humor of innumerable not-for-profit websites. Yeah sure.

Never has mechanism managed to pass so successfully for subject matter. If word processing made us into unwilling typesetters, the Halo Web and all its multifarious attachments have transformed us into some high-tech analog of the traveling vacuum cleaner salesperson. We are all selling to each other, constantly. Encouraging our mutually pointless traffic back and forth across a digital landscape more frightening than those that cradle Dali's melting watches, cluttered with flotsam-and-jetsam pitches, late breaking scoops on matters we could give a shit about, superfluous weather reports for people who no longer go outside, and ads for articles of increasingly unnecessary armor and vehicles.

But so what? We still love the Halo web. Where else could we rail away without rhyme or reason, point or apparent destination, and ever hope to get a halfway decent hearing? As to why we might want to... well, there's that nagging question about publishing once again, and that nastily insistent issue of a theme worthy of putting down in a disciplined and thematic manner upon Real Paper.[/quote]
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

riserobotrise wrote:upon reading the bungie wikipedia page, I came across this tidbit of information:

Impossible, the Marathon series and modern games are too far apart.
I guarantee you wont like it in any way unless you open your mind to whole new concepts.
dschungltiga
Born on Board

Yaaaaaaahhhaaaaaaaaaayaaah!! A Marathon remake by those stupid, uninspired and ridiculous jerks! That would be great! :D

Dude, seriously, there's more chance for a full 3D, modern remake made by this community than by Bungie. If you want a remake, do it yourself, thrust me, however it would look like it would be better than everything they could do.

What Bungie will do next? I tell you:

Halo: Awsumli Reinvented - 2010
Halo: There's Another One - 2011/12
Halo: Cooking For Dummies - 2013
Halo: Let's Go Shopping! - 2013/14
Halo: Where's My Car? - 2015
Halo: We Ran Out Of Stupid Titles - 2016

et cetera...
SynthNinja
Cyborg

Elements and concepts from Marathon could still be borrowed for making new games that don't suck. Marathon had its time. It is unfortunate that Bungie waited too long before marketing it to PC and that more people did not know about it, but that's the way it went down. There are some good modern games out there made by other companies. Why is everyone so fixed on what Bungie does? They are a one-hit-wonder company, and Marathon was their greatest asset.
GOT MUSIC? I compose. CLICK HERE! Download my music free or request something tailored to your specifications by PMing me.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Agreed. Clearly Bungie's next game will be a bungee-jumping FPS, and who cares about that?
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
irons
Vidmaster

The real question I want you to answer is: what WON'T Bungie do next?
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

A Marathon remake.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x.style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x.innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

tiga wrote:Yaaaaaaahhhaaaaaaaaaayaaah!! A Marathon remake by those stupid, uninspired and ridiculous jerks! That would be great! :D

Dude, seriously, there's more chance for a full 3D, modern remake made by this community than by Bungie. If you want a remake, do it yourself, thrust me, however it would look like it would be better than everything they could do.

What Bungie will do next? I tell you:

et cetera...
I hate people like you.
But ok, I'll bite, whats your problem with Bungie and Halo?
NXF
Cyborg

tiga wrote:What Bungie will do next? I tell you:

et cetera...
Where have you been? Halo: Reach is Bungie's last Halo game. I do agree that they are starting to become uninspired, which is why they should create a new IP or something.

EDIT: They already have started creating a new IP
Last edited by NXF on Feb 26th '10, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
dschungltiga
Born on Board

Well for the sake of not being a troll, I'll reply to both of you, but not going to discuss that any further, as this is way too off topic.
MoppyPuppy wrote:I hate people like you.
Ouch. Now I really feel sorry.
MoppyPuppy wrote:[...]whats your problem with Bungie and Halo?
Bungie is not anymore that Bungie that invented the first multiplayer RPG and brought FPS and real time tactic games to a whole new level. They got boring and uninspired, making 7 Halo games. Not that they're the only one making X games of the same series (just take a look at Nintendo), what's so ridiculous is that they really needed to play it safe and do only those, instead of producing some other games as well (well just like Nintendo).

And for Halo. I always disliked things the vast majority was hyping and viping about. Man, I hated Pokémon when I was at the age of 12.
Besides, played the first one on my Mac... and couldn't even finish the second Mission because I was so bored and disinterested.
fier wrote:Where have you been? Halo: Reach is Bungie's last Halo game. I do agree that they are starting to become uninspired, which is why they should create a new IP or something.
Oh excuse me! I was that dumb to overlook that they already, after 7 Halo games are planning a new project. Must have missed that.
fier wrote:They already have started creating a new IP
Wow. Yet so quick?

But well, it's my very own oppinion. You may think whatever you like. ;)
And FYI, I really don't mind people liking (or even being a fan of) Halo or Bungie... so no, I don't hate people like you. :)
Last edited by dschungltiga on Feb 26th '10, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
Bridget
Mjolnir Mark IV

Bungie has not made 7 Halo games. They've only made 4 so far. Reach will be their 5th and last. Halo Reach is Bungie's last game under Microsoft, period. And since the Halo IP is owned by Microsoft, Bungie won't be able to make any more Halo games.

Bungie already stated that they're working on a brand new IP and looking for a new publisher for it. Since it's a new IP, that rules out Marathon and any of their older games. It also rules out Halo, Oni, and Myth (since they don't own the IP's for any of those).

Thus, the only things it can be are : A spiritual successor to Myth, a spiritual successor to Oni, or something completely new.

That said, there will be more Halo games. Microsoft set up their own studio to work on the series : http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/343_Industries
Alan wrote:QUOTE(Alan @ Feb 1 2008, 08:14 PM) Also why is Bridget a guy yet he looks so pretty?
irons
Vidmaster

LOL 343; 7*7*7 HAHAAHA
Bridget
Mjolnir Mark IV

irons wrote:LOL 343; 7*7*7 HAHAAHA
It's a direct reference to this : http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/343_Guilty_Spark_%28Monitor%29

Note the familiar shape at the center.
Alan wrote:QUOTE(Alan @ Feb 1 2008, 08:14 PM) Also why is Bridget a guy yet he looks so pretty?
ellio7t
Cyborg

pimps at sea?
words
riserobotrise
Cyborg

Bridget wrote:Bungie has not made 7 Halo games. They've only made 4 so far. Reach will be their 5th and last. Halo Reach is Bungie's last game under Microsoft, period. And since the Halo IP is owned by Microsoft, Bungie won't be able to make any more Halo games.

Bungie already stated that they're working on a brand new IP and looking for a new publisher for it. Since it's a new IP, that rules out Marathon and any of their older games. It also rules out Halo, Oni, and Myth (since they don't own the IP's for any of those).

Thus, the only things it can be are : A spiritual successor to Myth, a spiritual successor to Oni, or something completely new.

That said, there will be more Halo games. Microsoft set up their own studio to work on the series : http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/343_Industries
well if you didn't think that halo is just another washed out, used up series, maybe another 700 halo games will do it already.
Bridget
Mjolnir Mark IV

riserobotrise wrote:well if you didn't think that halo is just another washed out, used up series, maybe another 700 halo games will do it already.
Microsoft can make all the Halo games they want. I only care about the ones that Bungie has developed. Once Reach gets released, I can stop caring about the series. I'm really looking forward to the new game Bungie is making.
dschungltiga
Born on Board

Well, okay... I guess I'll have to admit some epic fail there. I said I hate when people are hyping about anything, and I probably got a bit carried away by that. I'm begging for mercy.

But riserobotrise got what I tried to say. That's just how I feel about Halo.

And still I think it wouldn't be any good if today Bungie would be up to remake Marathon. Most of Marathons creators already left Bungie like ages ago AFAIK. Meh, they're not going to do that anyway.

But oh well, let's stick up with Bridget and just wait for what will be done next by Bungie. :)
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

Halo Mutant Ninja Turtles.