Why is there a japanese section here?

Deleted posts and threads from the beginning until the creation of the Archives category.

Post Apr 27th '09, 07:46

I have nothing against the japanese, in fact, I'm pretty fascinated with japanese culture, but I don't get why there is a Japanese chat here. Why wouldn't there be italian and chinese and germam etc.?
***INCOMING MESSAGE FROM UESCSUPERHUMAN***

Those of you who play Halo 3, you aren't that good at killing things.
I'm not impressed. Long Live Marathon, Halo 3 Fanboys!!!

***END OF MESSAGE***

uescsuperhuman
Orange County

Post Apr 27th '09, 15:35

Because those people complain less.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt
Belgium

Post Apr 27th '09, 18:54

Its because there is a significant non english speaking japanese playerbase. The idea was to help them come into the fold. Ryoko Humoured the idea. He never got around to deleting it before he left, As for people who speak japanese that come here, theres at least Kurinn, Bridget(?), and I. anyone else care to add their name to that list say ???
acks45
20 Minowere Dr. Fromidlov, Canada.

Post Apr 28th '09, 02:09

I speak a little, but not enough to really talk to a japanese person (Hajime Mashite. Watashi Wa (myname)-kun. ;))

***END OF MESSAGE***

uescsuperhuman
Orange County

Post Apr 28th '09, 02:23

uescsuperhuman wrote:I speak a little, but not enough to really talk to a japanese person (Hajime Mashite. Watashi Wa (myname)-kun. ;))

You aren't supposed to use honorifics on yourself, unless you want to sound arrogant or silly.

Also, the creation of this sub-forum was meant as a joke. The Japanese Marathoners have their own forums, online communities, and chat rooms.
Last edited by Bridget on Apr 28th '09, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.
Alan wrote:
QUOTE(Alan @ Feb 1 2008, 08:14 PM)
Also why is Bridget a guy yet he looks so pretty?

Bridget
Another World

Post Apr 28th '09, 09:55

Bridget wrote:You aren't supposed to use honorifics on yourself, unless you want to sound arrogant or silly.

Also, the creation of this sub-forum was meant as a joke. The Japanese Marathoners have their own forums, online communities, and chat rooms.

...and they implemented 3.5d rendering & bump-mapping into their own fork of the A1 engine 5 years ago.

JohannesG

Post Apr 28th '09, 23:00

There are Japanese Marathoners? Yeah sure I guess, but they organized their own (successful) forums and chat areas? Marathon is obscure enough as it is here in western gun-happy FPS land.
VikingBoyBilly

Post Apr 29th '09, 02:42

yea, it's pretty obscure over here. Usually the asians don't like FPSs though.
Sorry bridget...

***END OF MESSAGE***

uescsuperhuman
Orange County

Post Apr 29th '09, 05:30

hogepiyo mo nihongo wo hanasu yp.
Troy420

Post Apr 29th '09, 05:31

uescsuperhuman wrote:yea, it's pretty obscure over here. Usually the asians don't like FPSs though.
Sorry bridget...

WAAAAWT!
you're diluted.
Last edited by Troy420 on Apr 29th '09, 05:52, edited 1 time in total.
Troy420

Post Apr 29th '09, 05:40

uescsuperhuman wrote:Sorry bridget...

For what?

Troy420 wrote:WAAAAWT!
your diluted.

His diluted?

Anyways, there is some truth to that. FPS games aren't nearly as popular in Asia (especially Japan) as they are in the west. Though their popularity is steadily increasing.
Last edited by Bridget on Apr 29th '09, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
Alan wrote:

Bridget
Another World

Post Apr 29th '09, 05:54

shitloads of japanese marathon players and counterstriek servers. I stand by my vote of plenty of japanese FPS. at least GOOD fps...
Troy420

Post Apr 29th '09, 06:20

@Bridget: I was apologizing for carlessly flaunting my mediocre japanese.

Yeah, but the popular console over there is either the Wii, or the PS 3. I would be surprised if it wasn't wii. They hate the 360. In fact, it's the only country in which it doesn't sell well. Hell, they BOMBED Lost Oddisee (god how do you SPELL THAT) for being a 360 exclusive. Strangly, Haze got an 8.5 from Famitsu in Japan, which tanked ( I liked it though.)
They don't really like Halo or Gears of War or any of that, but if you give them CS tons of them will be there. I know that is pretty stereotypical but still...

Most of the Japanese games like MGS, FFVII, Kingdom Hearts, all that (sorry not really up to date on those games) are mainly RPG, Fighting, Adventure, etc. The only real exception is the FPS Part of MGS4. I bet none of them have the faintest idea to what crysis is...

hogepiyo mo nihongo wo hanasu yp.

I really wish I could tell what you are saying, but I only know a little japanese, and that isn't something I know. Or, that is gibberish, in which I can tell what you are implying...?
Last edited by uescsuperhuman on Apr 29th '09, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.

***END OF MESSAGE***

uescsuperhuman
Orange County

Post Apr 29th '09, 06:27

oi.
Troy420

Post Apr 29th '09, 10:18

Troy420 wrote:shitloads of japanese marathon players...

Not sure what your definition of "shitloads" is, but there are about 150 Japanese Marathon fans, and only about 15 of them play (somewhat) regularly. And those numbers are being generous.

uescsuperhuman wrote:@Bridget: I was apologizing for carlessly flaunting my mediocre japanese.

Oh, ok.

uescsuperhuman wrote:Yeah, but the popular console over there is either the Wii, or the PS 3. I would be surprised if it wasn't wii. They hate the 360. In fact, it's the only country in which it doesn't sell well. Hell, they BOMBED Lost Oddisee (god how do you SPELL THAT) for being a 360 exclusive. Strangly, Haze got an 8.5 from Famitsu in Japan, which tanked ( I liked it though.)
They don't really like Halo or Gears of War or any of that, but if you give them CS tons of them will be there. I know that is pretty stereotypical but still...

Most of the Japanese games like MGS, FFVII, Kingdom Hearts, all that (sorry not really up to date on those games) are mainly RPG, Fighting, Adventure, etc. The only real exception is the FPS Part of MGS4. I bet none of them have the faintest idea to what crysis is...

The Wii is the popular console pretty much everywhere. As for the PS3, yeah it's more popular than the 360 in Japan, but they don't "hate" the 360. In Japan, the original Xbox sold about 400k units total, whereas the the 360 has currently sold more than 1 million units and still has quite a bit of life left. For comparison, the PS3 is currently at 3 million over there. Sales of the 360 have been increasing considerably year-over-year. A year or two ago, it would be very uncommon for the 360 to sell 5k units a week, but now it's been selling 7k~10k almost every week for about a year.

As for Lost Odyssey, it sold alright relative to other top selling 360 RPGs in Japan. You have to keep in mind that the first few games created by an unknown developer aren't going to sell as much as a game in an established franchise from a well-known developer/publisher.

Famitsu isn't really worth taking seriously. They are known for giving out high scores to the highest bidders. Even so, many Japanese game reviewers (and gamers) still aren't quite sure how to judge the faults and merits of a FPS game. It often boils down to whether the game gives them motion sickness and/or is hard to control (reasons why Killzone 2 received low scores and why Metroid Prime 3 bombed).

As for the status of some high-profile FPS/3PS games : Left 4 Dead is becoming quite popular, as are Fallout 3 and Lost Planet. Halo 3 and CoD4 are doing ok. CS and Battlefield 2 are very popular, and are more or less equal in popularity. Gears seems to be doing very well, and is apparently much more popular than any of the other games I mentioned so far.

There's also a few that are virtually unknown outside of Japan, and are also very popular.

http://www.paperman.jp/
http://sf.hangame.co.jp/
http://suddenattack.redbanana.jp/

Sudden Attack in particular is extremely popular. Its level of popularity would be comparable to a high-profile Japanese RPG from an established franchise.

As for the status of Crysis in Japan, all I can tell you is that its fanbase is slightly larger than Marathon's.

uescsuperhuman wrote:I really wish I could tell what you are saying, but I only know a little japanese, and that isn't something I know. Or, that is gibberish, in which I can tell what you are implying...?

He said "hogepiyo also speaks Japanese".
Last edited by Bridget on Apr 29th '09, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
Alan wrote:

Bridget
Another World

Post Apr 29th '09, 12:55

I've played people from Japan on Aleph One.

ukimalefu

Post Apr 29th '09, 18:01

if you compare it with the number of people on boretowers stats sight you'll find that a significant percent of games hosted and played are by the japanese players.its by no means the majority, but it is significant
Troy420

Post Apr 29th '09, 18:47

Troy420 wrote:if you compare it with the number of people on boretowers stats sight you'll find that a significant percent of games hosted and played are by the japanese players.its by no means the majority, but it is significant

It's still just a few of them. Those few just happen to play very often.
Alan wrote:

Bridget
Another World

Post Apr 30th '09, 06:10

I personally like the japanese forum. I post in it wheni feel like talking japanese cause there's a bunch of people for me to practice speaking japanese with. Being able to communicate with my nieces is gonna be so awesome when I go back to japan in september.
acks45

Post May 2nd '09, 02:51

I recognize the "Nihon" part. What's the "go" part mean?
VikingBoyBilly

Post May 2nd '09, 20:30

VikingBoyBilly wrote:I recognize the "Nihon" part. What's the "go" part mean?

In this context, "go" means "language".
Alan wrote:

Bridget
Another World

Post May 3rd '09, 03:20

???????????????
acks45

Post May 3rd '09, 03:20

???????????????tango no go deshou ka?
Last edited by acks45 on May 3rd '09, 03:22, edited 1 time in total.
acks45

Post May 12th '09, 13:56

I am also a Japanese.
????????

But, the post of Japanese of this forum can be garbled and cannot be read.
??????????????????????????????????????
[MOh]

It seems that there is a problem in a setup of the mbstring section a server's php.ini.
?????php.ini?mbstring??????????????????????

Please add the following lines to .htaccess.
.htaccess?????????????????
Code: Select all
php_value mbstring.internal_encoding "UTF-8"
php_value mbstring.http_output "UTF-8"
Last edited by logue on May 12th '09, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

logue

Post May 15th '09, 14:54

plz fix dis.
acks45

Next

Return to 2006/01/22 - 2011/04/16