Nostalgic for Marathon and Map Making

Introduce yourself here!

Nostalgic for Marathon and Map Making

Post Jun 25th '14, 22:10

Hey guys/gals.

When I was a kid I played the Marathon trilogy pretty relentlessly on a PowerMac. I used to make maps and physics with Forge & Anvil, and I even got pretty proficient at it. Unfortunately none of that stuff exists anymore, and these days Im using a PC to do my Marathoning on. Marathon is such an underrated, classic game - The graphics etc are out-dated now, yes, but the trick to a good game is the game part of the game, which Marathon has in spades; good challenge, good action, a little humor, philosophy, and a damn good story. Plus it's totally unique as a FPS, even today. Still fun to kill time, and the third party customizations that the community (and more savvy people than I) has created, programmed, etc have enabled this game to keep going. With my luck, something I've enjoyed would be lost in the winds of time, but thanks to the community it's been kept alive, which is awesome.

Im working on a scenario currently, and I've got a lot of issues and problems to overcome mostly due to the fact that I haven't played or made maps in a good decade now, plus I'm having to use programs that I wasn't using before. I'm probably going to ask a lot of stupid questions on this forum, some have been answered from simply searching threads. So I've got some work to do, when I can, to create my maps and what-not. If anyone here is working on a project, I'll be happy to lend a hand where I can. I plan on creating a soundtrack for my project (whatever it is), I am an electronic musican, if perhaps I can help you in regards to sound and music, send me a message and maybe I can oblige.

Shameless self-promotion: http://dhammond.bandcamp.com

A few weeks ago, a co-worker gave me a Macbook for free, and my first thought was "I can use this to play Marathon". but it was an Intel Macbook, from 2006, and it looks like windows Marathon stuff actually works out better for me than anything that can run on an Intel Macbook maxed out at 10.6 (actually this Macbook is running 10.4).

So far I'm using OBED to make maps, even threw in for a registration. I'd like to try using Weland, but I can't seem to get it to work at all (and yes, I followed the instructions in the readme and installed the proper extras... still won't run! - question for another thread). I'm starting to use Visual Mode.lua to paint and edit textures, although OBED does this mostly fine (it's just very tedious). OBED could really use a good update, especially asking for money. Is that guy still alive or anything? A better visual mode would be nice, and the terminal editor is good but I still can't get pics to work no matter what I do... Have yet to see the perfect terminal editor...

Alright, I've introduced myself I guess..
ElbowFromTheSky

Post Jun 25th '14, 22:40

Greetings human, and welcome. :D

I happen to be making my own Marathon scenario, titled 'Marathon Grendel'. Right now, I have no really finished levels, but I do have nearly all the conceptual work down, and I've made significant progress on the enemy dynamics. I don't really have anything I need yet, but I'll keep you in mind, just in case. ;)

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Jun 26th '14, 07:51

Hey fellow Marathon enthusiast! Just want to say I like your music - reminds me of Ulrich Schnauss' work a little bit, or Solar Fields.

If you haven't already immersed yourself in Marathon Total Conversions (TCs), check out Rubicon X, Eternal X, and Phoenix (made by the architecturally saavy RyokoTK).

Xap

Post Jun 26th '14, 13:05

Xap wrote:If you haven't already immersed yourself in Marathon Total Conversions (TCs), check out Rubicon X, Eternal X, and Phoenix (made by the architecturally saavy RyokoTK).

Yeah, Phoenix is probably the best of those three (the gameplay is just so good), and Rubicon X is a close second (creative and visually on a par with more modern games) - Eternal X, on the other hand, feels kind of like a good attempt gone over a cliff (no offense, Forrest, it's just not as fun as the other two, and sometimes it just feels downright unfair - gauntlet of insta-death turrets, anyone?).

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Jun 28th '14, 13:19

Well, if you saw what I was making right now "over the cliff" would be a good description :P

Thanks for the listen Xap! Im a little familiar with Schnauss.

Yeah I need to play these TCs, too much going on at once in my household...
ElbowFromTheSky

Return to Welcome