Hello to all!

Introduce yourself here!
LAZER
Spazeroid

Hi everyone! I'm glad to be here and had to introduce myself. I'm 22 years of age from England, and I have to say I was incredibly surprised to find a seemingly active forum like this for Marathon as I always viewed it as one of those old forgotten games perhaps overshadowed by other big FPS games like Doom etc from back in the day.
Marathon 2 was the very first PC game I ever played and god I've got some great memories, although vague memories! I'm just wondering exactly what this forum is for? Am I able to download this game for PC and play through the story? And I'm also wondering if it's possible to Coop the story mode with a friend of mine?

I guess ultimately I'm quite confused as to how a Marathon community is still alive when I don't recall there being much content?

If someone could answer my questions I would greatly appreciate that, thank you and good to be hear!
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

LAZER wrote:a seemingly active forum
Ha!
LAZER wrote:I'm just wondering exactly what this forum is for?
Map making?
LAZER wrote: I guess ultimately I'm quite confused as to how a Marathon community is still alive...
Everyone is.
LAZER wrote:Am I able to download this game for PC and play through the story? And I'm also wondering if it's possible to Coop the story mode with a friend of mine?
Yes and Yes. You'll need to download Aleph One (https://alephone.lhowon.org/) to run the game on modern systems. Then there's scripts you can use for Aleph One to play it coop. I'm sure someone can give you better details since I don't know the specifics off the top of my head.
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

Long story short, Bungie open sourced the Marathon series and it's engine after Microsoft bought them so you can freely play it on any platform (including Mac, Linux & Windows).
As for what this forum's for: development of AlephOne (the Marathon engine I mentioned above), game mods/"plugins", making your own multiplayer maps, & even making your own games based on AlephOne (called scenarios).

Oh yes, almost forgot. Hello to you too.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

Hello.
It's an artists' colony.
There's a great library and museum
and if you want brandy and cigars go over to the story forum.
There's a good transportation terminal too.
A great hideaway.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.
LAZER
Spazeroid

That's interesting, thanks for your replies!
Is there anyone that would be able to give me instructions on how to co-op the story mode with a friend? I'd really love to play through it again and share the experience. I've downloaded M1 M2:D MI and Aleph One
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

If I'm not mistaken Irons wrote the coop script so best ask him if you want detailed instructions.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

Aleph One has a default co-op mode that should be pretty easy to figure out.

There's alos irons' co-op scripts that you can add to Aleph One and activate in the scripts menu, or whatever menu you do that in: http://simplici7y.com/items/co-op

There's a read me file that comes with it.
$lave

You're going to have to open port 4226 on your computer + router firewalls to gather a network game. Then your friend is going to have to join you either by your IP Address or using the in-game lobby. There are some threads around here that should help you out if you have trouble getting network games to work.