A New Hello from an Old Fan...

Introduce yourself here!
Jjetty
Spazeroid

....or something like that.

Although I use Jjetty a lot, feel free to call me Jet, its easier, and everybody does it. :P

Although I'm new to the community as an active member, I am by no means new to the Trilogy, or the 3rd Party conversions done by some amazing artists. I've actually been playing this game for 20 years now and even to this day I still enjoy it...and miss the days when I could play it on a decent Mac and make my own Maps...

With that said I say again Hello from an old but dedicated fan. How has the Marathon Community been fairing these days?
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

Hello. You'll enjoy this community as long as you can handle some members being occasional asses. This community's a bit stagnant lately in all honestly, but it's still a good one. From simple HD retexturing to complete total conversions, we try to keep Marathon & it's Aleph One engine alive. Out of curiosity, how'd you find us?
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

Hi Jjetty. Marathon community is what you'd expect from a 20 year old Mac-only game series. Once in a blue moon someone will post some maps, sometimes multiplayer, rarely single player. Judging by your signature you're an artist?
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Yeah, you might have an easier time over on the Marathon Story Forums. There's less discussion of the Marathon/Aleph One engine and game design and the like, with a higher focus on the story of the Marathon series (naturally), but the community is a little... *cue understatement* ...easier to get used to. *understatement complete*
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Most introduction posts are the first and last post for new people here, so I never quite know what people are hoping for by joining.

Are you looking to find people to play the game with online? Talk about marathon? Create content for the engine? Get answers for technical questions about AlephOne? I could go on, but I think people's opinions of this place are largely shaped by what they were expecting to get out of it in the first place.
Jjetty
Spazeroid

Uhm... *nervous laugh* Good questions there...

To be honest I really wasn't sure what to expect or hope for joining this particular forum. Since it is linked to the page where you get Aleph One I figured it would be a good place to get to know people who like the game as much as I do and if not contribute to conversations about the game here, post any questions I might have in regards to content creation such as maps, or technical questions about Aleph One such as controller support, crashes, ect.

In anycase, I really appreciate the responses and advice I've gotten so far and with that said, I will try to keep my technical questions and discussions related to A1 here, and more story related discussions on the forums PerseusSpartacus recommended.
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

Well, the best way you'll find out if you'll like it here is to read the Pfhorums. There's some interesting stuff in the one called Legends. Or, just start down the page of topics in The Pfhorums or Marathon Discussion or Aleph One Discussion. Just read and read. Read the topics that start with POLL and you'll get the current tenor of the community. And it's not Pavarotti, he's dead.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Well since you asked, I'll give you as accurate a picture of the current state of the community that I can.

1) Pfhorums - This place seems to be the best place to ask about problems you may be having about AlephOne. In theory, this would also be a good place to get feedback if you're working on maps or something, but that doesn't really happen anymore.

2) The in game lobby - If you actually want to play the game, you'd just find internet games from within the game itself. You're pretty much going to be stuck with infinity, and be prepared to wait a long time before a game actually starts.

3) Story board forums - A friendly environment where you can talk about marathon story stuff that has been talked about to death already.

Each of these "communities" has about 5-10 people, and there's very little overlap between the people in those communities. That's really about it. Not much happens with marathon these days.
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

Quick question, did you find this thread via Macintosh Garden? Because I edited it recently and added a link to the Pfhorums.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
Jjetty
Spazeroid

3371-Alpha wrote:Quick question, did you find this thread via Macintosh Garden? Because I edited it recently and added a link to the Pfhorums.
Ah I'm I afraid I did not, I actually saw these forums linked at the site "source.bungie.org" or now known as "alephone.lhowon.org", where A1 and the Marathon Trilogy can be downloaded.

Additional Post: If anyone is interested in an online game with me feel free to shoot me a PM. Its been awhile since I've played online but I've done it once or twice so all I'll need to do is dig into my account and log into it.