Word

Introduce yourself here!

Post Dec 22nd '09, 19:11

I've been repeatedly deleting and retyping my introduction so as not to present myself as some sort of gloating fool trying to impress the forum oldies with how much I know about the marathon universe.

I know jack-all about programming, 3D modeling, scripting or anything related to game production, so I promise I will not be replying to topics asking why we can or cannot do this or that.

I've just been looking for a community of people who love and cherish the games that mean so much to us.

A little netplay on mars needs women wouldn't hurt either! [MTongue]

Skunch
Nelson. BC

Post Dec 22nd '09, 19:17

Welcome :)
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.

effigy

Post Dec 22nd '09, 19:18

Welcome, Skunch. I and my colleagues wish you greatness and prosperity in your hopefully lengthy stay.

Skunch wrote:A little netplay on mars needs women wouldn't hurt either! [MTongue]

Mars Needs Women? You should try this for size. That's damn amazing, Ryoko. [MGrin]
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Dec 22nd '09, 19:42

Dugit wrote:You should try this for size. [MGrin]

I definitely will!

MNW however, holds a special place in my heart as the first multiplayer map I had ever played. I used to just run the halls torching bobs and collecting ammo until the game crashed from all the dead bodies.

Does anyone here still play the classics, or are they old hat?

Skunch
Nelson. BC

Post Dec 22nd '09, 19:46

Skunch wrote:Does anyone here still play the classics, or are they old hat?

Do you mean the old scenarios altogether, or the old netmaps? If I were to answer, I'd say both to yes. Just a couple of hours ago milkman hosted about five KOTHs on Melatonin- in a row. Jeez.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Dec 22nd '09, 20:16

Dugit wrote:Do you mean the old scenarios altogether, or the old netmaps? If I were to answer, I'd say both to yes. Just a couple of hours ago milkman hosted about five KOTHs on Melatonin- in a row. Jeez.

I was referring to the old netmaps because I have never been able to actually play online with anyone. I was only eight years old back in '94, and I was the only one of my group of friends whose parents decided to buy a mac. As a child I would roam the [mostly] empty halls of the old M1 netmaps, collecting guns and hoarding ammo because I was too young to actually try and beat the single player levels.

I am reinstalling A1 as I am typing this, and if anyone would be interested in a little M1 deathmatch please say or do something I would notice.

I am salivating at the thought of Waldo World Arena being populated with actual players.
Last edited by Skunch on Dec 22nd '09, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

Skunch
Nelson. BC

Post Dec 22nd '09, 20:38

Most net-games are Infinity net-maps, however, there was a small[er] crowd playing M1A1, recently. Just click "join>find game" and ask :)
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.

effigy

Post Dec 22nd '09, 21:02

Or, even better, you could try your hand at MInf (or M2 first). It has a replica of Mars Needs Women, should you wish to play it again, and it has the plus-side of most good maps being compatible with the Durandal engine (Paradise Lost; Red Spectrum; Revel; Sovereignty; etc...), and that nearly everyone plays on MInf. You ought to try something other than M1 to get the full kick out of Marathon. There's a world of fun, exploration, wonder and splendor just waiting to be discovered, 17 years past that last shot on Ingue Ferroque to that brave new world. Go on. [MGrin]

As I can tell that you're the type who likes to run around netmaps killing things (that lure I share), there's plenty more where that came from in the later trilogy. If you really want a kick out of doing this, then download Orbital Arm's M1A1 Special Edition and M2 Special Edition, and try Monster Menagerie on M1A1SE, and the last few netlevels on M2SE.

Since you've started on M1, I'd recommend starting on M2 next, then Infinity, and then whatever you want.

Vale,
Dugit
Last edited by Dugit on Dec 22nd '09, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Dec 22nd '09, 22:20

Dugit wrote:Or, even better, you could try your hand at MInf (or M2 first). It has a replica of Mars Needs Women, should you wish to play it again, and it has the plus-side of most good maps being compatible with the Durandal engine (Paradise Lost; Red Spectrum; Revel; Sovereignty; etc...), and that nearly everyone plays on MInf. You ought to try something other than M1 to get the full kick out of Marathon. There's a world of fun, exploration, wonder and splendor just waiting to be discovered, 17 years past that last shot on Ingue Ferroque to that brave new world. Go on. [MGrin]

As I can tell that you're the type who likes to run around netmaps killing things (that lure I share), there's plenty more where that came from in the later trilogy. If you really want a kick out of doing this, then download Orbital Arm's M1A1 Special Edition and M2 Special Edition, and try Monster Menagerie on M1A1SE, and the last few netlevels on M2SE.

Since you've started on M1, I'd recommend starting on M2 next, then Infinity, and then whatever you want.
Vale,
Dugit

I should be more clear, I have played and beaten the Marathon Trilogy, and a few of the TC's from source.bungie.org, but never got to play any multiplayer.

I haven't used A1 since I was in high school and I can see things are much more streamlined. The ability to search for netgames, common as it is now, is a great addition. Much better than the old days of appletalk and quadra 650s.
Last edited by Skunch on Dec 22nd '09, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

Skunch
Nelson. BC

Post Dec 23rd '09, 08:52

Skunch wrote:I should be more clear, I have played and beaten the Marathon Trilogy, and a few of the TC's from source.bungie.org, but never got to play any multiplayer.

I haven't used A1 since I was in high school and I can see things are much more streamlined. The ability to search for netgames, common as it is now, is a great addition. Much better than the old days of appletalk and quadra 650s.

I'm able to play from 5pm GMT (properly), so I'll see you then. But I can join earlier, as I am British (thus having very little direct contact with much of the rest of the gaming community until late), and will be able to play from the earliest of 11am GMT. Good luck. It's much different to normal gameplay. [MUp]

What scenarios have you beaten?

Vale,
Dugit

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Dec 23rd '09, 14:28

If you like playing the M1A1 net maps, there is a M1 net pack on simplici7y, you should check it out.

welcome by the way.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Dec 25th '09, 12:09

I played the maps; actually quite good.

The original netmaps were nothing special, though, apart from the infamous Mars Needs Women. Of course, they are 15 years old.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Return to Welcome