losing classic scenarios?

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

Can we do anything to preserve legacy scenarios? I'm thinking primarily of those that were created in the 1990s using software and formats exclusive to the classic Mac OS. Many of those were distributed as patches to Bungie files, using software that won't run on modern systems. Even their archive formats (usually .sit or .hqx) are becoming hard to deal with.

With more and more obstacles getting in the way of using many of these early scenarios, it becomes more imperative to convert them for modern use. Is there anyone interested in doing so? Are there legal or technical considerations I'm not aware of?
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

I have updated a couple of older Scenarios some time ago - including the Return to Marathon Demo, The Classified 19 and Trojan - I can upload them to S7 if you want but it will take some time.
treellama
Vidmaster

thedoctor45 wrote:I have updated a couple of older Scenarios some time ago - including the Return to Marathon Demo, The Classified 19 and Trojan - I can upload them to S7 if you want but it will take some time.
I don't know about RtM or TC19, but the Trojan authors were very explicit about not wanting it to be updated to work with Aleph One.
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

thedoctor45 wrote:I have updated a couple of older Scenarios some time ago - including the Return to Marathon Demo, The Classified 19 and Trojan - I can upload them to S7 if you want but it will take some time.
If you've verified they work with [acronym="Aleph One"]â?µâ?
Last edited by ChristTrekker on Feb 24th '12, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
goran
Vidmaster

ChristTrekker wrote:I wonder whyâ?¦
Lack of trust. They don't believe anyone, but themselves can port it and do it justice. If someone else did it. It would be tainted and imperfect. Horrible outcome! Best to leave it dead on the ocean floor.
Last edited by goran on Feb 24th '12, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Grenth
Born on Board

To the best of my understanding, the reason that the creators of Trojan didn't want it ported to Aleph One was, at the time (years and years and years ago) Aleph One wasn't able to fully copy the way marathon 1 worked, for example: no in-game music, damage floors, or glue/super glue.
Now that most (if not all) of marathon 1 features are doable in Aleph One, i don't think that Trojan's creators would mind it being ported.

That's just my opinion though, i could be completely 100% wrong.
Last edited by Grenth on Feb 24th '12, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:the Trojan authors were very explicit

goran wrote:Best to leave it dead on the ocean floor

Grenth wrote:i don't think

[attachment=5518:protopresbyter.jpg]

Holy HAMISH, in thee the Community has found a zealot

by thy confession of the sacred Faith

for thou didst champion THE LORD's doctrine

and cast down the pride of boastful mnemoi.

First of those who 4GOT, pray that we who honour thee

may one day be as thou art now and ever.
Attachments
protopresbyter.jpg
protopresbyter.jpg (129.71 KiB) Viewed 12665 times
treellama
Vidmaster

patrick wrote:protopresbyter
p much
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'd be interested in helping convert some scenarios.

I can map, I can texture, and I can merge.
If I can help PM me.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

I would love to see Trojan get ported to A1. I miss playing it. I got close to finishing it on TC, but the game started screwing up. For some reason and at some point, I would lose the ability to reload my weapon.

Does Escape! count as a scenario?
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:I don't know about RtM or TC19, but the Trojan authors were very explicit about not wanting it to be updated to work with Aleph One.

An unofficial release then for readers of this topic only:

Trojan
TC19
RtM Demo
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Feb 25th '12, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

Ha, did you actually just port Trojan? Nice.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

gmanyo wrote:Ha, did you actually just port Trojan? Nice.
No, he just posted the data files the installer of the M2 version creates with no modifications.
Last edited by Wrkncacnter on Feb 26th '12, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

W wrote:No, he just posted the data files the installer of the M2 version creates with no modifications.
Oh. Fuck, I was really happy there for a moment.

Edit:

THANKS FOR BEING SUCH AN ASSHOLE, W'RK.
Last edited by gmanyo on Feb 26th '12, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

W wrote:No, he just posted the data files the installer of the M2 version creates with no modifications.
Where exactly is the difference content-wise between the original M1 version and the M2 Windows Port of Trojan? It's working nicely for me using the latest version of AlephOne for OSX.
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Feb 26th '12, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

thedoctor45 wrote:working nicely
Attachments
Trojan_M2_Screenshot.png
Trojan_M2_Screenshot.png (547.03 KiB) Viewed 12671 times
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
treellama
Vidmaster

gmanyo wrote:THANKS FOR BEING SUCH AN ASSHOLE, W'RK.
What, if anything you should be angry at thedoctor45 for getting your hopes up.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Anyone care to properly answer my question? And that thing there in your screenhsot isn't visible on my setup - is this on Windows or Mac?

[attachment=5530:osx.jpg]
Attachments
osx.jpg
osx.jpg (241.99 KiB) Viewed 12667 times
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

Trojan Revival discussion.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

irons wrote:I think he was talking about Trojan/M2, which is a complete port of the original Trojan.
ok so..... erm, where's the problem guys?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Did you actually read the topic listener linked to? Look at this post specifically: http://www.pfhorums.com/index.php?s=&s...ost&p=82703. The Trojan installer creates a modified executable, and alephone doesn't work the same way as that modified executable. If you want Trojan to work well, it will take some real effort, instead of doing the same thing 50 people before you have done.

Edit: Also take a look at the screenshot PP just uploaded, if you want yet another visual for how messed up it is.
Last edited by Wrkncacnter on Feb 26th '12, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

I see some differences in terms of scenery items but no gamplay hampering glitches - anyway since I haven't played through the game complelty yet I can't make an accurate statement about functionality but seeing how the original exe was modified I suppose there might yet be undiscovered problems.

In any case - until proven otherwise the game is playable for me - if anyone doesn't feel this way he's free not do download the file I put up ;)
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

thedoctor45 wrote:Anyone care to properly answer my question? And that thing there in your screenhsot isn't visible on my setup - is this on Windows or Mac?
Well, not totally visible. In your screenshot, only the top of the tank is showing. I'm running a Mac, and my screenshot was taken in OpenGL Classic. Switching to Shader produced the same results as yours.

As for content differences, I took a quick run through the first real level, and the most important thing missing is the music. Most of it was excellent, and even worked as ambiance for the prologue level.

The only error I saw so far with the scenery was in the screenshot we just discussed. It's supposed to be an alarm with a sound attached to it, and appears in a couple places throughout the game.

There also seem to be new logos, pictures and text colors in the M2 version. As we all know, M1 terminals were limited to green text, pictures displaying the map only, and a single logo for the logon/logoff screens.

Since ShapeFusion doesn't want to open the Trojan M2 Shapes file, I only know of a couple graphics differences. For one thing, the HUD and menu are different. The orange landscape is no longer limited by the M1 engine to a 128x128 texture. A full-sized M2-style landscape now blazes gloriously in the sky. :)

Lastly, I noticed that the liquids display wall textures. There's supposed to be M1 lava here:
[attachment=5531:Trojan_M...reenshot.png]

Other than that, it seems to be playable, though I'd have to test it more thoroughly.
Attachments
Trojan_M2__22Lava_22_Screenshot.png
Trojan_M2__22Lava_22_Screenshot.png (295.43 KiB) Viewed 12664 times
Last edited by President People on Feb 27th '12, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

well, I can upload an OSX port of the original M2 Windows version of Trojan - without any AlephOne enhancements if you just want to play that again...
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Feb 27th '12, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

So I've uploaded an OSX port of the unaltered M2 version of Trojan as well as M2 for Windoes 95 - there shouldn't be any differences or bugs - I played through the first level in each game and haven't experienced any issues yet. Ofc it´s limited to software rendering 640x480 16bit but it is as faithful to the original as possible considering the circumstances.

-> Download M2/Trojan Win95 OSX Port

PS: You'll need an Intel Mac with OSX 10.5 minimum to run this port.
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Feb 28th '12, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.