Psp slim Aleph One port

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
FlashMan1294
Born on Board

Does anyone know anything about the progress on the psp slim port?
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

There is a port?
Where did you here this?
Overlord Brinkly

FlashMan1294 wrote:Does anyone know anything about the progress on the psp slim port?
Uhhh no.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Why does there need to be a damn aleph one port for every stupid portable system? How damn badly do you need to play Marathon?
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:Why does there need to be a damn aleph one port for every stupid portable system? How damn badly do you need to play Marathon?
I would guess that usually, this is more about the actual porting part rather than the actual playing part.
brilliant
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:Why does there need to be a damn aleph one port for every stupid portable system? How damn badly do you need to play Marathon?
Some people are just really addicted to it. :)
"My advise: V" - g pack
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Because some are actually die-hard, hardcore Marathon players that must play Marathon whever they go, whenever they get too far from the computer. [MGrin]

If I had a psp, I'd get a copy of Aleph One for that.
Overlord Brinkly

Let's just say that a lot of people are addicted to this kind of game.
FlashMan1294
Born on Board

This thread is where i first read about a psp slim port.
http://www.pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5670
L'howon
Vidmaster

I agree with Ryoko. The control set is terrible on anything less than a full keyboard. I had the chance to play M1 & M2 on the iPad and it just wasn't happening.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
treellama
Vidmaster

Lh wrote:I agree with Ryoko. The control set is terrible on anything less than a full keyboard. I had the chance to play M1 & M2 on the iPad and it just wasn't happening.
The control scheme on the iPad port is bad even in terms of iPad games. It's unplayable.

The PSP Slim has actual buttons, so I could see it being at least playable. Not up to keyboard/mouse level, but tolerable.
Last edited by treellama on Mar 21st '12, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.
interion
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:The control scheme on the iPad port is bad even in terms of iPad games. It's unplayable.

The PSP Slim has actual buttons, so I could see it being at least playable. Not up to keyboard/mouse level, but tolerable.
I'm still convinced Marathon would make a great point and click adventure game, or one of those first person dungeon crawl RPGs. That would work great on a touchscreen.
Image Image
FlashMan1294
Born on Board

Treellama wrote:The control scheme on the iPad port is bad even in terms of iPad games. It's unplayable.

That is exactly why Alephone would be suited for the psp.
There is the control stick too but it takes a long time to get used to using it to play fps's.
If any of you have seen (or played) the psp ports of quake, hexen 2 or the more recent doom legacy port you see how much potential there is.
Last edited by FlashMan1294 on Mar 21st '12, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.
L'howon
Vidmaster

Tim wrote:I'm still convinced Marathon would make a great point and click adventure game, or one of those first person dungeon crawl RPGs. That would work great on a touchscreen.
That... actually sounds really cool. Like TIGSource Demakes - the DoomRL project strikes me as really close to that idea, and not just a little bit ironic.
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

Tim wrote:I'm still convinced Marathon would make a great point and click adventure game, or one of those first person dungeon crawl RPGs. That would work great on a touchscreen.
How? This is an honest question, not trolling.
L'howon
Vidmaster

listener wrote:How? This is an honest q
FlashMan1294
Born on Board

Assuming this "nigel" person has stopped developing A1 for the psp, I've decided to attempt to port Aleph One to psp myself. However I have an utter lack of programming knowledge so this may take a while because I need to become fluent in C because apparently PSP SDK uses C. First off, I need some questions answered regarding Aleph One. I sent him an email just to see if he's still working on it and am waiting for a reply.

1: How much Vram would A1 typically need to run smoothly (no texture packs) on a 480 by 272 resolution with linear filtering on opengl rendering?

2: How much ram does the newest version typically need in a linux environment to run smoothly?

3: What programming language is Aleph One built on?

4: Will the lack of an MMU (memory manager unit) on the psp's processor make porting A1 difficult?

5: What is the oldest version of Aleph One that is compatible with the newest version's online multiplayer?

6: Is there any possibility of making a "NAT fix" that would allow any player to host a game?

Thanks!
Last edited by FlashMan1294 on Apr 1st '12, 05:52, edited 1 time in total.
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

Lh wrote:
k, sorry missed this. Deleted.