Chains of Dreams (solo map)

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

This was going to be a map in KTA IV, but it required more polygons than allowed, so I'm making it with more. Right now it has 313 polygons.

Here are two screenshots:

[attachment=5579:Chainsof...ams_0000.png]
[attachment=5580:Chainsof...ams_0001.png]

It should be finished by the end of the month.
Attachments
ChainsofDreams_0001.png
ChainsofDreams_0001.png (642.19 KiB) Viewed 9599 times
ChainsofDreams_0000.png
ChainsofDreams_0000.png (942.16 KiB) Viewed 9598 times
Not Invented Here
Born on Board

Not too shabby. I realize you're probably just starting with this map, but if I might comment:

You might want to break up some of those big spaces. A little more detail would make it easier on the eyes. I'm especially referring to the first screenshot. Even if you just made some upscaled polygons around those table-looking things with the lamp texture on top to do some differential shading on the ceiling, it would help a lot. The walls on the right with the windows in them could be split, which would allow you to align the textures there as well as make it look better in general. Maybe a vertical band of another texture in between the windows, or several bands. I'd put split polygons along those sides on the left where the windows are, as well, so it isn't all just one texture from bottom to top.

The differential shading in the second screenshot is a good thing, except I can't understand why the bottom parts of those walls are lit when the rest are dark. They seem to be split polygons, but were you using a different texture there originally? The scene doesn't make sense unless those parts were lighting panels. If the light is as bright as it is from those light banks on either side of the middle passage, there would be reflection off of the ceiling as well. I'd either dim it down a lot or work out the angles and make light spill off the ceiling as well, not to mention onto the side behind the point of view from where the player is in that screenshot. Really the light should spill out at an angle from that wall, and not just act like a big laser shooting perpendicular from it. It has promise, but you'll be doing a lot of work in that room if you want it to look good.

Anyway, it's a great start. I like it. Post lots of updates as you go!
Last edited by Not Invented Here on Mar 20th '12, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Not Invented Here wrote:The differential shading in the second screenshot is a good thing
What? I don't see any differential shading at all. I do see an attempt at "real" lighting, but that almost always looks bad in marathon.
Not Invented Here
Born on Board

W wrote:What? I don't see any differential shading at all. I do see an attempt at "real" lighting, but that almost always looks bad in marathon.
Yeah, it's that blocky gradient on the wall to the left. Really emphasizes that 90° bend in the wall. If you squint your eyes, it actually looks smooth.

Actually, Destiny, if you just tell everyone to squint their eyes while they play this, you might not have to do so much work after all.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

I didn't really expect anyone to comment...

This is actually the first time, other than doing a little bit in my map for KTA IV, for working with differential shading. If you were to play Dave demo and see the lighting I did then, this would be a major improvement.

For those wanting more updates, there won't be a lot, since theres only texturing, item/monster placement, sound, liquids, platforms (those "tables" are going to be platforms), testing, fixing, and uploadings. Wait, thats a lot. O.o

If I finish the next room today, I'll post a screenshot of it.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

I finished the next room. Here are two more screenshots.

[attachment=5583:Chainsof...ams_0000.png]
[attachment=5582:Chainsof...ams_0001.png]

I just have one more room, the arena, and some finishing touches left for texturing.
Attachments
ChainsofDreams_0000.png
ChainsofDreams_0000.png (850.66 KiB) Viewed 9597 times
ChainsofDreams_0001.png
ChainsofDreams_0001.png (813.03 KiB) Viewed 9596 times
Last edited by Destiny on Mar 21st '12, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
nonstab
Born on Board

Looks great! Way better than my map; I can't wait to play it.
http://electricsheep.org/ Wicked Custom Screen Saver. It actually evolves over time, thanks to some internet-y crap.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

[attachment=5586:Chainsof...ams_0000.png][attachment=5587:Chainsof...ams_0001.png]

Last two. Most of the texturing is now finished along with all the liquids.
Attachments
ChainsofDreams_0001.png
ChainsofDreams_0001.png (652.26 KiB) Viewed 9596 times
ChainsofDreams_0000.png
ChainsofDreams_0000.png (979.75 KiB) Viewed 9596 times
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

If you guys were hoping to play this REALLY soon, I've got some bad news for you. Due to some unforseen circumstances, the map won't be finished until sometime next month (April).

If you have questions why, I probabley won't see those until next week or so.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Destiny's grounded for not using differential shading.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

AM NOT!!!

I'm surprised it took you this long to post TK.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I didn't see a need to go after you for not using shading since W'rkncacnter had already pointed it out, but holy crap dude, differential shading.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Alright, I'm back. Work will continue sometime this week.
goran
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:Destiny's grounded for not using differential shading.
I want to take a time machine to the time you released your first map, and ground you too! ;-)
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

goran wrote:I want to take a time machine to the time you released your first map, and ground you too! ;-)
I've never said I wasn't hypocritical, you know.
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

There should be a mini-scenario for all these solo maps coming out because they're too big for KTA (there's at least two or three by my count)
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Apr 3rd '12, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Delays, delays, delays. My user on the computer I use at home is having problems with Internet Explorer. For some reason I can't access certain sites, but I can access these sites with fire fox.

I'll hopefully finish this map sometime in my lifetime.

@VBB
Yeah, I have an idea somewhat like the one your talking about. It would include maps of any type, and the map would have to be more than 200 polygons.
$lave

Destiny wrote:My user on the computer I use at home is having problems with Internet Explorer.
Your problem is using internet explorer in the first place.

Also, some of your geometry looks really awkward, especially in the first screenshot and part of the fourth. Some of what you've done looks decent, although the lighting is kind of abysmal. I'll wait until the map is actually posted to say anything more.
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

You should get the thing that replaced the thing that replaced firefox, which is Opera.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Yes, this is still alive. If I'm lucky, I'll have it done this month.
caffienemachine
Born on Board

Oooh. I do look forward to playing this. About how long will the map be?
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

It's only like 316 polygons. It's not very long and was meant to be a KTA IV map originally. I will, however, be uploading Dave's Epic Adventure onto Simplici7y the same day as Chains of Dreams, so there at least will be something else to also play.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

The map is finally done. Go get it here: http://www.simplici7y.com/items/chains-of-dreams
Last edited by Destiny on Aug 29th '12, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.