Question set #1

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.

Post Aug 17th '12, 20:17

1) This has nothing to do with the 3 map contest.

2) Please vote.

3) I wasn't able to put this question into the poll, so answer this too:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Which type of scenario do you think has the best kind of story, a nonlinear scenario or a linear scenario?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I might make another poll at some point with more questions...
Youtube Channel:Crosstroop3r // Traxus Wiki User Page: Crosstrooper
My Marathon uploads: Destiny

Destiny
USA

Post Aug 17th '12, 20:26

Dang it TK! That's not funny!!! Don't make me go to war with you and these frogs!!!
Youtube Channel:Crosstroop3r // Traxus Wiki User Page: Crosstrooper
My Marathon uploads: Destiny

Destiny
USA

Post Aug 17th '12, 20:58

This pfhorum seriously needs a "LIKE" button.

It would be nice if musick could be played in netmaps too, whilest having M.A.D.D.s attack all the players.

Genius!
Last edited by ???Durandal??? on Aug 17th '12, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
Marathon D.R.E.A.M. copyright � 2008-2011- Is a future and ongoing SECRET project by Yours truly and Jjarandal productions � 2011- :
most patents pending and accepted. any and all material conceived by ME is property of me and gives no one a right to lay claim to my imagined stuff

***INCOMING MESSAGE***
Check out my blog, I've developed a little game pfhor you to play...

>> http://thedurpartment.blogspot.com/ <<

***END MESSAGE***
???Durandal???

Post Aug 18th '12, 04:20

Nonlinearity makes for player choice on a deeper level than without, which is cool. However, a story can succeed with or without it.

Crater Creator

Post Aug 18th '12, 05:06

I think linearity makes it easier to follow a story, and sometimes, non-linearity can be a real weird thing to throw in. For instance, as RyokoTK pointed out about Dugit's Aeon project, I have two terminals - terminal A and terminal B. Terminal A takes me to plot A, and terminal B takes me to plot B. Problem is, I have no way of knowing there's a second plot that I completely missed in the process. Bad use of non-linearity.

On the other hand, if it's done right, such as in Rubicon, non-linearity can be a valuable asset to the game. It makes the player feel more like they're in control and not mister-AI-who's-supposedly-got-the-key-to-the-universe. Plus, the game feels more interesting. On a single playthrough of Rubicon, I'll probably miss about two-thirds of the levels in the game. On the next playthrough, I'll find myself playing levels I never even knew existed. Something about that is just inherently good.

Cheers,
Perseus

P.S. - Dugit, if you feel I betrayed you earlier, please accept my humble apologies. I really like Aeon, I just think Ryoko has a good point about the non-linearity.
Powerful experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Aug 18th '12, 16:07

PerseusSpartacus wrote:On a single playthrough of Rubicon, I'll probably miss about two-thirds of the levels in the game.

This is why I hate branching stories in games. It's a cheap gimmick that fakes replay value and bars you from seeing large portions of the game; it's disrespectful to the player. If I play a game I want to see every level (sans secrets) on my first playthrough. And there is always the problem that you usually don't know the consequences of your choice in terms of gameplay. What sorts of levels and gameplay will you encounter in Choice A vs. Choice B? Rubicon example: I think the first fork occurs when you're supposed to save a human admiral or something; my first choice would be to save him since that's the heroic thing to do, but letting him die takes you down the Pfhor Plank whose levels and gameplay I actually preferred over the other plank. To find that out I had to reload an old saved game and make the different choice. So instead of just playing the game I had leave the game and fool around with different saved games to see what I was missing.

Non-branching non-linearity can be good though. If the player can progress through levels in a different order, but he still visits all the levels in a single playthrough, then that can be interesting and fun.

Still, I think that linear, non-branching stories allow you to create a more focused and polished narrative.
Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

philtron

Post Aug 18th '12, 21:04

Rubicon phrased it as a mission that you pass or fail, rather than a choice, except for the tycho storyline which was phrased clearly as a choice. I agree that, in future playthroughs, it is a mild nuisance because I also like to play all the levels, but technically the pfhor plank is a punishment.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Return to Chat