Crouching/Jumping?

The best of the Pfhorums.
John Drake
Vidmaster

Now I know someone is going to tell me to go play UT but i think i have a point here. Has anyone ever made a jumping or crouching script? If they have, I would appreciate them to post it.
Samus

Not that im aware of but I did a jumping script, crouching could be done by changing the running or walking physics and images so he crouches and his view is lower but then you cant walk or run depeding on what you change. Jumping hasn'g been done properly yet but my way works fine. Change the falling speed in liquids so it is as fast as normal falling speeds in the physics make all weapons can shoot underwater and above and bullets can pass through, create a script that removes water tint, sound and oxygen drain etc, and makes the water texture 100% transparent (invisible) & that is it I think. Then create a level with no liquids and texture it up, place weapons. Create lots of liquids with no speed about 1WU higher then what you are placeing it on then cover that polygon. Then when you play, I know you are being cheap and using the Caps-Lock key as your run key but DONT, change it to something else like a letter key. When you walk in water normally you float up to the top. But since the physics are altered you will fall normally, and the liquid hight is only 1WU so you can only "jump" about that high. If you use the capslock key you will never touch the ground, just levetating :). It is a little buggy though but if you do want to jump its worth a try. Also aliens won't work properly (most of them) unless you alter their physics and shots fired but I don't think they use projectiles underwater.
Last edited by Samus on Oct 1st '06, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
Samus

This is the start of the script, tell me what liquid you need or I can make it so it work or I will make it so it works with all level sets (lava, water texture sets, etc...) copy and paste it into a non rich text format, when finished save as .mml instead of .txt and put it into a folder called "Scripts" in the home folder of The aleph one app, I am assuming you use macs because I think there are differences in the code for Windows... This isn't the complete script though, it is just my flying one. You will have to alter it to remove All the sounds and you will have to find out the boolean numbers for the liquids splashes, etc...If you use lava or Pfhor sets, you will have to make it so you dont get hurt. Here is a link to the mml archives for some help on it:http://source.bungie.org/content/engine ... l/MML.html. If you get lost I can help you but I think it is good to start learning the mml because it is useful for making some cool changes such as ingame music, fullscreenmap showing ammo, monsters and projectiles. It is useful for crazy stuff like this aswell

Code: Select all

<marathon>
<liquids>
<!-- Removes liquid submerged sounds-->
<liquid index="4">
<sound type="6" which="-1"/>
</liquid>
</liquids>

<faders>
<!-- Removes tint -->
<liquid index="3" fader="0" opacity="0">
</liquid>
</faders>
<!-- Removes O2 drain -->
<player guided="true" oxygen_deplete="0" oxygen_replenish="0"/>
</marathon>
Last edited by Samus on Oct 1st '06, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
assassingao
Vidmaster

Don't even think of UT Irons, even Damage Inc. that use marathon engine have jumping and crouching.
Zott
Vidmaster

If only we had gotten the source code. [MFrown] :( [WHY WHY don't they respond!? Perhaps its time to send physical letters...]
Last edited by Zott on Oct 2nd '06, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
Godot

Gao, Aleph One is NOT THE GODDAMN SAME as Damage, Inc.
shongshong
Vidmaster

*@#$%!* begins to crable papers up in hand and foam at the mouth
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron
assassingao
Vidmaster

Gao, Aleph One is NOT THE GODDAMN SAME as Damage, Inc.
Yeah riiight, and I thought that both used the same engine, even though aleph one is made for MARATHON.

Whateva', everyone need a few more things.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

As long as it isn't added in as a default thing...go ahead and make a script.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
Samus

Godot wrote: Go play UT.
Now I know why so many people leave these forums in disgust, Your putting down his creation before he has even started it.
Last edited by Samus on Oct 2nd '06, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.
shongshong
Vidmaster

Samus wrote: Now I know why so many people leave these forums in disgust, Your putting down his creation before he has even started it.
I agree... this wave of negativity lately realy is quite disturbing... or in american terms "a turn-off"
Marathon Squadron
Godot

assassingao wrote: Yeah riiight, and I thought that both used the same engine, even though aleph one is made for MARATHON.
Damage, Inc. is a modified version of the Marathon engine. The modifications were to the source code, and the engine is different enough that we can't produce the special behavior of Damage, Inc. Can you load Half-Life using the Quake engine? No, but Half-Life is a variant of Quake. Same thing in our case.

Samus wrote: Now I know why so many people leave these forums in disgust, Your putting down his creation before he has even started it.
Samus, I am an experienced scripter. I've tried this myself, many times. I know what I'm talking about, which is why you posted my headshot script in another thread, even though you neither gave me credit nor asked for my permission. Here is the detailed explanation that I didn't want to post:

Jumping is possible, but the means to implement it are too primitive. Your liquids idea wasn't bad, but you have to consider a few things. First of all, you'd need to make a new version of every map you wanted to play it on. Second, it would only work locally, not in net games, since it's a MML script, and MML is NOT transmitted from a host to its clients, and it definitely wouldn't work if he just joined a game. He would go out-of sync. Playing this way is too cumbersome; few will play games with him if everyone in the game has to use a new map and add a new script to their Scripts directory.

A Lua script enabling true jumping, without a buggy liquids hack, is not possible. It's too clumsy. I have tried it. There's no way to assign functions to keys using Lua, so you'd have to use the only thing that can even remotely detect when a player triggers it: projectile detonation. There are plenty of problems with this. First of all, you have to map every gun you wanted t be able to use while jumping so that it fired a special projectile whose detonation would call the jumping part of the script into action. In addition, you'd have to make the special projectile fall down and explode as quickly as possible, which isn't always fast enough. When it is, fast enough, e.g. making the projectile spawn 1/1024 of a world unit off the ground so that it detonates in the next tick, if often messes up and doesn't explode at all, because the bobbing motion of the player causes the shot to spawn in the void, under the floor of the polygon, where it does nothing. So, detection of when to jump is in a very poor state. I won't even get into the problems with accelerate_player and set_player_external_velocity, both of which have their own problems. Even if you chose to use an exploding projectile to jump, and negate all subsequent damage, there would still be similar problems, plus the explosion might send you in an unexpected direction, or it might cause other nearby players to bounce somewhere they shouldn't.

Crouching is also impossible. I've tinkered with a crouching physics model, and it failed. The engine has certain hard-coded behaviors that conflict with the modified physics, so you end up adjusting to the crouch height permanently, then when you try crouching again, you only go lower.

You've really pissed me off with your ignorance. When I say it can't be done, I mean it.
assassingao
Vidmaster

HOLY SHIT.

What a long response.

But anyway, thanks for your post in here, now I actually get what you meant when it's can't be done...
Godot

Thank you, and you're welcome!
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

That's because his idea sucks; it's not a feature that has a place in Marathon. Maps would have to be altered in order to adhere to this vast augmentation of mobility. "Modernizing" Marathon is a terrible idea. If you want a game with jumping and sniper rifles, then GO PLAY UNREAL TOURNAMENT.
shongshong
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote: That's because his idea sucks; it's not a feature that has a place in Marathon. Maps would have to be altered in order to adhere to this vast augmentation of mobility. "Modernizing" Marathon is a terrible idea. If you want a game with jumping and sniper rifles, then GO PLAY UNREAL TOURNAMENT.
yahh... like what I said earlyer about the negativity thing... lol

what about MML? isnt that modernizing? (probibaly mostly graphicaly)
Marathon Squadron
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Yeah, kind of, but I'm generally averse to MML. It did make editing some parts of TGI a lot easier, but I don't ever intend on implementing jumping or anything that would change how the game really works. Even Rubicon X's extensive MML changes only made it foggy as crap.
Zott
Vidmaster

Ugg you guys are kind of mean, its not as though you would HAVE to play with it (ala headshot script) only that IT POSSIBLE.

Which apparently it isn't. While I agree with your response you don't have to be so negative about it. [MFrown]

Besides, people might convert over some Damage Incorporated maps where jumping WAS permitted and developed for, so don't automatically jump the gun and pish posh it as a modern invention. [MTongue]

(Still would love that Damage Incorporated Source Code. *Dreams*)
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I'd just appreciate it if people would read topics in the past. DI comes up at least once every other month, and the topic lasts forever.
Godot

shongshong wrote: yahh... like what I said earlyer about the negativity thing... lol

what about MML? isnt that modernizing? (probibaly mostly graphicaly)
MML just takes the place of the many resource fork hacks in Marathon. Custom HUD layouts, custom title screens, etc. are no longer possible only through extensive and tricky resforking, and as a great side-effect, it allows the engine to operate across non-HFS (Apple) platforms.
shongshong
Vidmaster

thus modernizing it for other platforms! wooh!
Marathon Squadron
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Here's the problem with lua: It doesn't matter if the script is incomplete, absolutely horrible or just plain doesn't work, someone is going to host it. As a general rule (speaking from experience) most people that can host are completely retarded. (Appologies to the two of you that are actually competent. You know who you are.) The point is, people will host a new script simply because it exists. What really makes this a problem is that the host will rarely tell you they're hosting something weird. Now, 95% of the people that play marathon on mariusnet want a regular game with normal physics. Hosting some weird script like headshot or jumping without telling anyone is a great way to piss off a bunch of people. But people seem to do it anyway. So when you argue that you don't HAVE to play a game like headshot or jumping/crouching, chances are you will at some point, even if you don't want to.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you're going to make a script, put a lot of thought into whether it's good before posting it online. It's fine if you want to mess around with lua and make something crazy, but don't annoy other people who just want a fun game of marathon by making it available to everyone.
Last edited by Wrkncacnter on Oct 2nd '06, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.
Godot

W'rkncacnter, what are you doing in CS? Major in Philosophy! :P
Samus

Godot wrote: which is why you posted my headshot script in another thread, even though you neither gave me credit nor asked for my permission.
Irons* was the one who gave me script any way, Irons* always puts his name on the top of all scripts he makes, as for that one ,it didn't have a name, so I assumed he didn't make it. If it doesn't have any one's name on it, how am I going to be able to know who created it.

Drake asked if it was possible to jump/crouch, so I gave him my anwser and showed him the way to do it. You don't have to play or use it, no one is forcing you to...

*yes I know now... :)
Last edited by Samus on Oct 2nd '06, 06:35, edited 1 time in total.