Interest checking for a different sort of Kill Them All project

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Jan 11th '13, 16:21

I've been playing through a Doom wad called Congestion 1024, wherein every map has to fit inside a 1024x1024 square (that's pretty small). It was pretty fun and a cool idea, and it had me thinking of KTA. Community projects are always more successful when they're easy to pull off, but I think the 100-polygon KTA well has been pretty much tapped dry. Not that that's bad -- KTA4 has over fifty maps! So that's pretty cool.

Anyway, I'm interest-checking for a fifth KTA pack, but one that is based on overall map size rather than polygon count.

My ideas for KTA 5:

- The usual structure applies: every map is Rebellion and Extermination, and your goal is to purge the map and find the exit.
- Standard textures, shapes, no Lua or anything.
- The map should fit into a 24 WU x 24 WU square, with no overlapping. The rules for Congestion 1024 allowed the map to exceed that square as long as the player couldn't get there, so I'd be fine with that too. Most KTA maps either just barely fit, or exceed the map size by a few WU, so it would basically be similar rules with a different sort of restriction.

Uh, so let me know if this is something you'd be interested in. Definitely post and say if you could crank out a map idea or two before, I dunno, the end of February. Alternatively, if you're just sick as shit of KTA and the entire idea, let me know about that too. I'm just trying to think of easy ideas to get more people to make more maps.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 11th '13, 17:42

I'm sure I could draw at least one 24x24 rectangle map for you.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jan 11th '13, 17:44

Maps can be as large as you can cover with the skin of a bull.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 11th '13, 17:54

I'd give that a try.

I'll also have to check out that wad. :D
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Jan 11th '13, 18:01

Treellama wrote:Maps can be as large as you can cover with the skin of a bull.

I can make some huge maps then, since everyone knows how well I can stretch that bull.

President People wrote:I'd give that a try.

I'll also have to check out that wad. :D

It's decent. I played it with Samsara. Ranger's so good in Samsara.

Anyway, it's kind of like KTA, in that the attempts at regular maps were pretty lousy, but people that made slaughter arena style maps were more successful.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Jan 11th '13, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 11th '13, 21:13

I'll join up. I haven't been apart of enough community projects or contests, so you can count on me to give it a try, but I wouldn't be done before the end of February.

When I still played Doom, I could never get custom WADs to work. It sucked. I'm missing out on so much more fun... [MErr]
Youtube Channel:Crosstroop3r // Traxus Wiki User Page: Crosstrooper
My Marathon uploads: Destiny

Destiny
USA

Post Jan 12th '13, 02:07

I probably might make a couple maps for this.
Last edited by $lave on Jan 12th '13, 02:08, edited 1 time in total.

$lave

Post Jan 12th '13, 20:59

RyokoTK wrote:The rules for Congestion 1024 allowed the map to exceed that square as long as the player couldn't get there, so I'd be fine with that too.

Next thing you'll say is we're allowed to include toilets that don't flush. No thanks, I'm passing on this one.
Last edited by irons on Jan 12th '13, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Jan 13th '13, 19:37

gentleniceguy wrote:Image

Sorry bro, you can't just delete your post and expect me not to preserve it for posterity.
Last edited by Wrkncacnter on Jan 19th '13, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jan 13th '13, 19:47

W wrote:Sorry bro, you can't just delete your post and expect me not to preserve it for posterity.

I would never delete such a masterpiece. There are other forces at wrk here to which we are all slaves.
gentleniceguy

Post Jan 13th '13, 23:02

RyokoTK wrote:I'm just trying to think of easy ideas to get more

[attachment=5851:intervention.jpg]

jumper wrote:we are all slaves
Attachments
intervention.jpg
intervention.jpg (41.12 KiB) Viewed 7689 times
Last edited by patrick on Jan 13th '13, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
patrick
末法

Post Jan 14th '13, 17:48

irons wrote:Next thing you'll say is we're allowed to include toilets that don't flush. No thanks, I'm passing on this one.

Passing, or pissing? [spoiler]For it is a toilet, you see.[/spoiler]

Always glad to see such an amount of enthusiasm and no animosity in our little community for group efforts.

For those that are interested, would you rather have your maps be extermination missions (like KTA) or more standard "get to the exit" maps? I am open to suggestions in how to distinguish this from KTA.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 14th '13, 18:24

RyokoTK wrote:For those that are interested, would you rather have your maps be extermination missions (like KTA) or more standard "get to the exit" maps? I am open to suggestions in how to distinguish this from KTA.

I don't know, would you rather I make a map with no enemies (extermination), or would it be better to start on an exit polygon (get to the exit). Either one sounds fine to me.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jan 14th '13, 18:59

W wrote:I don't know, would you rather I make a map with no enemies (extermination), or would it be better to start on an exit polygon (get to the exit). Either one sounds fine to me.

The latter, as long as you also make a bunch of extra effort polygons (but you start on the exit anyway).

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 14th '13, 20:05

Okay, sometime after my post for this thread, I came up with a great idea for a map. First things first:

-Are we still limited to 100 polygons?
-No custom physics, right?

I kinda need more than 100 polygons for this idea to work out. Also, this map could work out as extermination.

Destiny
USA

Post Jan 14th '13, 20:16

Destiny wrote:Okay, sometime after my post for this thread, I came up with a great idea for a map. First things first:

-Are we still limited to 100 polygons?
-No custom physics, right?

I kinda need more than 100 polygons for this idea to work out. Also, this map could work out as extermination.

No, no, the limitation would be the 24x24 box, rather than the polygon limit.

I'm thinking there should probably be an upper limit of like 400 polygons just to keep people from going stupidly over the top, though.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 14th '13, 20:39

Thanks for the quick reply. I've gotten started on the map. It looked like I'll have enough space for what I want to do.

Destiny
USA

Return to Projects