Pfhorums 7 year, 7 month, 7 day anniversary!

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.
treellama
Vidmaster

treellama wrote:
RyokoTK wrote:There should be an Edit button in the upper right corner of the post box, in that row of gray buttons.
Curiously, Edit and Quote show up in Chrome, but not Firefox.

All set!
Cleared my cache, and now they appear in Firefox, too. And as a bonus, Simplici7y works now.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Hmm... so this was why I was unable to get onto the Pfhorums on Wednesday. Looks great!
Switch
Vidmaster

ukimalefu wrote:I'm not sure about having the thread's title on every post in that bright blue, a little harsh.
Removed the "Subject" from each post. It's a silly field. Posts don't need subjects. I also got rid of a lot of crap under the avatars. Let me know what yall think about that.
Zott wrote:Is it possible to set a different font for pinned topics? Right now they blend too much into the everyday topics.
I added a green ring around the icon for pinned topics. I'm not really confident that was the best move, but it sure sets them out. Let me know what you think.
Wrkncacnter wrote:I'm not so sure that everything transferred well http://pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?p=154997#p154997
I'm seeing some messy quotes, but I don't think I'll be worried about that level of transfer. old.pfhorums will be up as soon as the DNS changes, and you'll be able to check there is an old thread was transferred messily.

Speaking of DNS changes, remember that downtime from a few weeks ago? The Pfhorums server crashed, and the domain had to be switched to the offsite backup on Amazon S3. Well, now the server has been fixed and Pfhorums must be moved back. This time however, it will be planned, and should only take about an hour.
infwaffle wrote:I've noticed that the latest post on the index on shows who posted it and not where. It's a small problem and not important.
I was able to add the name of the topic, but I'm not sure I can add a link. I removed the time, should I have kept it? Sadly, I have no control over the super-long timestamps it shows.
Zott
Vidmaster

appleswitch wrote: I added a green ring around the icon for pinned topics. I'm not really confident that was the best move, but it sure sets them out. Let me know what you think.
Aesthetically neutral, but functionally good. So nice work!
treellama
Vidmaster

appleswitch wrote:I was able to add the name of the topic, but I'm not sure I can add a link. I removed the time, should I have kept it? Sadly, I have no control over the super-long timestamps it shows.
'Course you do, it's phpBB!

I think the time should stay. It looks pretty empty without it.
cocide
Spazeroid

appleswitch wrote:
Wrkncacnter wrote:I'm not so sure that everything transferred well http://pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?p=154997#p154997
I'm seeing some messy quotes, but I don't think I'll be worried about that level of transfer. old.pfhorums will be up as soon as the DNS changes, and you'll be able to check there is an old thread was transferred messily.
I cleaned up the DB w/ a lil regex, quotes should all be fixed. You sir are very lazy, it took all of 5 min to write the fix and run it on 24k posts. If this trashed anything yell at switch - we do have backups.
appleswitch wrote:Speaking of DNS changes, remember that downtime from a few weeks ago? The Pfhorums server crashed, and the domain had to be switched to the offsite backup on Amazon S3. Well, now the server has been fixed and Pfhorums must be moved back. This time however, it will be planned, and should only take about an hour.
During that hour you should still be able to browse the board, you just will not be able to post until the DNS updates.
treellama
Vidmaster

cocide wrote:lil regex
cocide wrote:You sir are very lazy
cocide wrote:we do have backups.
Who are you?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

appleswitch wrote:Sadly, I have no control over the super-long timestamps it shows.
Everyone has control of their own timestamp, which is the way it should be. Profile -> Board preferences -> My date format.
cocide wrote:I cleaned up the DB w/ a lil regex, quotes should all be fixed. You sir are very lazy, it took all of 5 min to write the fix and run it on 24k posts. If this trashed anything yell at switch - we do have backups.
Old spoilers are also broken: http://pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?p=155341#p155341
Asylum
Cyborg

treellama wrote:
Who are you?

Wow, even I know who cocide is. I'd feel very under appreciated if I was him.
(●__●)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(●__●)
Switch
Vidmaster

Wrkncacnter wrote:Everyone has control of their own timestamp, which is the way it should be. Profile -> Board preferences -> My date format.
I guess what I should have said is, I don't have control over everyone elses timestamp display. I could change them all in the database, but I'd have to see if it will give new users the format I want or it's moot.
cocide
Spazeroid

Asylum wrote:
treellama wrote:
Who are you?

Wow, even I know who cocide is. I'd feel very under appreciated if I was him.
Ehh, it's not surprising most people would not know who I am.

The server that hosts this site (and S7) belongs to switch and is located in a data center because of him. I admin the server for him.

I also am the reason why you had off site backups and an EC2 server to host things on while switch's server was being replaced. Furthermore I am the one who migrated from the old board, it was causing high load on the system and it needed to be addressed.

Normally I am not involved in this community at all but I wanted to make sure the migration went well, or well enough at least. I am sorry about the few users whos accounts were deleted, after running several filters for spambots we were left with a couple of hundred of remaining accounts. I checked several of them by hand and they were all bots. In lieu of searching of a needle in a haystack I decided to just go ahead and remove all the unverified accounts.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

roking666 wrote:best birthday present ever
I'll second that. Yay for feeling special via random coincidence!

And now I can finally wink, something that was lacking with the marine emoticons. ;)
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'm really liking the various View Posts links at the top, and how topics that haven't been read light up. Very nice! [MUp]

Here are some things about how image attachments used to work that I like better:
  • Previews - the entire image was scaled down rather than showing a cropped portion.
    Full Scale - the image could be viewed in its entirety at full resolution by clicking on it.
    Placement - we had control over where the image would appear. Now a text insert takes its place, and the image appears at the bottom of the post.
Any plans to restore any of this?

Also, I found that post numbers and the ability to link to them was useful. All such existing links are now semi-broken, taking you to the page the post is on, rather than the specific post itself.

The bullet point function (listing items) also seems broken.
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Jan 20th '13, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I opened up some unread threads in individual tabs and had this problem:

I cannot tell which thread is which. Perhaps remove "The Pfhorums - View topic" bit?
Switch
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:I opened up some unread threads in individual tabs and I cannot tell which thread is which. Perhaps remove "The Pfhorums - View topic" bit?
It's funny you mention that, because all three browsers are currently working on this.
Switch
Vidmaster

Ares Ex Machina wrote: Here are some things about how image attachments used to work that I like better:
  • Previews - the entire image was scaled down rather than showing a cropped portion.
    Full Scale - the image could be viewed in its entirety at full resolution by clicking on it.
    Placement - we had control over where the image would appear. Now a text insert takes its place, and the image appears at the bottom of the post.
Testing thumbnail and links.
SandUDunesUSoft.jpg
Placing picture inline above this line.
Ares Ex Machina wrote:The bullet point function (listing items) also seems broken.
Testing list BBCode.
  1. list item 1
  2. list item 2
  1. list item 1
  2. list item 2
  1. list item 1
  2. list item 2
Source of post:

Code: Select all

[quote="Ares Ex Machina"]
Here are some things about how image attachments used to work that I like better:
[list][b]Previews[/b] - the entire image was scaled down rather than showing a cropped portion.
[b]Full Scale[/b] - the image could be viewed in its entirety at full resolution by clicking on it.
[b]Placement[/b] - we had control over where the image would appear. Now a text insert takes its place, and the image appears at the bottom of the post.[/list]
[/quote]

Testing thumbnail and links.

[attachment=0]SandUDunesUSoft.jpg[/attachment]

Placing picture inline above this line.

[quote="Ares Ex Machina"]The bullet point function (listing items) also seems broken.[/quote]

Testing list BBCode.

[list=1]
[*]list item 1
[*]list item 2[/list]

[list=A]
[*]list item 1
[*]list item 2[/list]

[list=a]
[*]list item 1
[*]list item 2[/list]
mchief111
Born on Board

This is pretty sweet, very modern. One small concern - the quick reply box doesn't stretch as far as it could. Under style.php, line 2606, is:
/* Main message box */
#message-box {
width: 80%;
}
Changing that to 98% or 100% does the trick nicely. :)
Normal.png
Stretched.png
logan
Mjolnir Mark IV

Cool beans. I'm digging the new digs. It's kind of crazy to think this place has been around as long as it has, and I think the anniversary timing was also a nice touch :)
Switch
Vidmaster

mchief111 wrote:The quick reply box doesn't stretch as far as it could.
Unfortunately, that CSS change applies to both the quick reply and full editor, which breaks the full editor. Currently the quick reply width, full editor width, and post widths are all the same. So, even though it doesn't create as much composition space as it could, I am tempted to leave it as it is currently.
gentleniceguy
Born on Board

Leave it as it is!
Switch
Vidmaster

The Pfhorums has been moved back to its original server location from before the Dec. 13th crash, and old.pfhorums.com is fully online as a reference.
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

The Pfhorums are looking good! Gonna miss the old Hardwired Night theme I was so used to seeing.

Any chance we could get user titles back?
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

WAIT, WHERE'S THE NOTEPAD!?!? NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

*Loses important IRC chat sessions*

Dang it, Switch! I needed those for proof for using Sigma textures in Another Story!!!
Switch
Vidmaster

Destiny wrote:WAIT, WHERE'S THE NOTEPAD!?!? NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

*Loses important IRC chat sessions*

Dang it, Switch! I needed those for proof for using Sigma textures in Another Story!!!
old.pfhorums.com

Let me know if you can't access anything there. I might have disabled features accidentally while making the board read-only.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Destiny wrote: *Loses important IRC chat sessions*
Ha, storing important information only on the Pfhorums. I don't think anyone is that stupid, but otherwise, good joke.