Is Boards of Canada actually going to release an album?

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

Saw Purity Ring last night. They were really good, and their openers, Headaches and Evian Christ, were good too. Evian Christ might've been better than Purity Ring actually, but Purity Ring had more stage presence and better lighting and shit like that. I was right up next to the stage; the chick from the band almost hit me in the face with her mic a couple times. Afterwards I talked to the band and the openers for about half an hour, especially Evian Christ (Purity Ring was actually just sitting around selling their merch before the show as well). My friend actually got the girl's phone number so that he could set up a house show in a couple weeks for her boyfriend's band, called "Cousins", and I got Evian Christ's e-mail so that we can share cool music.

Living in a mid sized city has some pretty cool benefits.
L'howon
Vidmaster

gmanyo wrote:Saw Purity Ring last night. They were really good, and their openers, Headaches and Evian Christ, were good too. Evian Christ might've been better than Purity Ring actually, but Purity Ring had more stage presence and better lighting and shit like that. I was right up next to the stage; the chick from the band almost hit me in the face with her mic a couple times. Afterwards I talked to the band and the openers for about half an hour, especially Evian Christ (Purity Ring was actually just sitting around selling their merch before the show as well). My friend actually got the girl's phone number so that he could set up a house show in a couple weeks for her boyfriend's band, called "Cousins", and I got Evian Christ's e-mail so that we can share cool music.

Living in a mid sized city has some pretty cool benefits.
shit man, that's awesome.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

New Death Grips album drops in less than an hour. From their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/deathgripz/posts/460674763977708 wrote:"the label wouldn't confirm a release date for NO LOVE DEEP WEB until "next year sometime " . the label will be hearing the album for the first time with you."
12pm pst
Last edited by gmanyo on Oct 1st '12, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
L'howon
Vidmaster

gmanyo wrote:New Death Grips album drops in less than an hour. From their Facebook page:

12pm pst
listening to it now. Black Dice is awesome.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
$lave

I don't mind some vaporwave, but it gets a bit too gimmicky for me at times.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

lol, the whole genre is pretty much a gimmick. It's almost the point. I love it anyway.

I think Vektroid is making the most original "vaporwave" stuff, like this or this. He's also made most of the vaporwave that anyone's heard of (Macintosh Plus, Laserdisc Visions, and a couple others are all him). It's funny that Oneohtrix Point Never sort of inadvertently started the whole movement.
$lave

gmanyo wrote:lol, the whole genre is pretty much a gimmick. It's almost the point. I love it anyway.
Yeah, some times I can enjoy that, but sometimes it rubs me the wrong way. Couldn't really say why exactly, but it does.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

lol did you see this?
http://www.factmag.com/2013/04/01/board ... tzalcoatl/

although there are now rumors again about a REAL one over on WATMM...
$lave

Yes, I did, thanks to a certain s'pht homeworld. Cruellest month.

gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

From Joyrex (in response to some other post):

"Or, I dunno, perhaps plans changed? Nah, couldn't be that - when somebody says something, it MUST happen.

Do you bother thinking before you type? I mean, really - did it not ever occur to you that perhaps why the album has been delayed several times there were valid reasons behind it? And the fact that someone "in the know" says "I've heard the album is coming soon" meant at the time they repeated this for everyone else's' benefit, it in fact was "the plan" and was going to happen?

Don't get me wrong - until there is an "official" announcement, I'm not holding my breath either, but from what I've heard... it might actually finally, happen!"

Edit:
But wait, there's more!
"To be clear:
I have not said I know of a release date (to my knowledge, one has not been finalized)
I have it on good authority that by Summer, we should know more and possibly have a firm release date, if not the album itself out.
There are others "in the know" that have confirmed what I have heard, so chances are this time, finally, the album will be released as it was intended to.
Some of this information has not been divulged for the simple fact that I have been told not to say anything just yet - the planning, timing and release of information is important these days to ensure a successful launch of any product - I'm sure you can appreciate that. Plus, it builds anticipation within the fan community (although in this particular instance, this happens to rub a few fans the wrong way considering the amount of time they have waited for any news, let alone for the actual release).
I'm not trying to come off as arrogant or anything - I try and share what I can when I know something, and when I can share more, I will. I'd love nothing more to be able to say to fans "it's coming out on June 9th, 2013 as a 2xCD and 4xLP with digital exclusive tracks and an exclusive tee shirt for the first 6010 preorders" - I'm a fan just like you and everyone else is here, and so far, things are looking good, so let's not get our hopes up, but I think the days of acting entitled or whinging about what BoC hasn't done should come to an end."
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

http://youtu.be/Qe4UCjjyr8U

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/78556-stra ... -sent-out/

edit:
It's almost definitely real. Pitchfork said they confirmed it with Warp, and nobody important has said it's a fake. Record store who sold it confirmed it as real. Fun stuff.
$lave

Yeah, I've been following all this buzz lately. Looks like the second record was just found, pretty exciting.
$lave

Yep. For some reason, after all this hype, I'm not as set on instantly pre-ordering a vinyl copy and salivating over it as I thought I'd be. I think I'm just going to pick up a CD sometime in June. Still excited about the album of course, but I guess the novelty/mystique of the band outside their music has kind of worn off for me.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

The whole thing got a bit ridiculous, although it was kind of fun. Also, promo BoC vinyl is now at 4,600 dollars on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boards-of-Canad ... 1100905866
$lave

I saw that auction. It pisses me off, a lot. It pisses me off that someone would buy a record like that and auction it immediately, and it pisses me off that someone would spend such a ridiculous amount of money just for the bragging rights of owning 20 seconds of audio on vinyl.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

5,700 dollars!

Stupid. But I guess I can't say I wouldn't have sold it.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

By the way, this new Oneohtrix Point Never album leaked and it's amazing. I wasn't going to download the leak but the temptation overcame me. Definitely going to purchase the album when it comes out.
jonny
Born on Board

Look out - he's nuts!