How do I get items to show up in Visualmode.lua with weland

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
willymeaux
Spazeroid

I'm new to using weland and Visual mode and I'm trying to find out how to get items to appear on the ground because every time i place something once i click something else, it disappears from the grid. Any help will be appreciated
$lave

Clicking any point in a filled polygon with the object tool ~should~ permanently place an object there (until you delete it). The only way I could see the object tool not working is if you either aren't placing objects in a filled polygon, or if you don't have a valid type of item selected.

Can you upload a screenshot of what your map looks like in Weland or something? That would be helpful just so I have a better idea of what you're trying to do.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

I have a theory on the source of confusion. You say it "disappears from the grid." The grid only draws on negative space… You can't place items just anywhere. They can only be placed within a polygon, which in Weland means on the white spaces.
willymeaux
Spazeroid

i just created this polygon to show the problem:
so i placed the flamethower in the rectangle next to the player and notice that the item menu is still selected on the left

once i select anything else, any object besides the player disappears from the map.
It also doesn't show up in visual mode either
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Visual Mode suppresses item spawns, so they just won't appear there. Load the map in normal A1 and the item should be there!
treellama
Vidmaster

Weland might not place items correctly on an invalid map like you've shown. Check out the Forge tutorials, they'll help you get going.
dustu
Cyborg

HI. I also see this problem. I add items to the grid in a valid 'filled' polygon and when I add another item, the other items disappears from weland. It is there when you load the game, but designing with items is difficult to keep straight when you can't see them at all in weland.

Any suggestions for a fix or workaround?
Thanks in advance!!!
Dan
Cyborg

dustu wrote:HI. I also see this problem. I add items to the grid in a valid 'filled' polygon and when I add another item, the other items disappears from weland. It is there when you load the game, but designing with items is difficult to keep straight when you can't see them at all in weland.

Any suggestions for a fix or workaround?
Thanks in advance!!!
Nope. I haven't ever encountered a problem like this. Was it just temporary, or is it still here?
Roses are rose red
Poems don't always make sense
Refridgerator
dustu
Cyborg

Hi Dan!
Yes, it's still there. I'm running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and I see it all the time. I'm using Weland 1.4.1.
-p
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

I believe willymeaux has discovered a legitimate issue. Here's a simple but valid map made in Weland 1.4.1 that illustrates the problem.
Object Test.sceA.zip
(742 Bytes) Downloaded 280 times
Once the scenery object is placed and unselected, its icon never draws on the map again, even when quitting Weland, relaunching it, and selecting the object (from memory, since it can't be seen):
Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.39.40 PM.png
Was this already solved elsewhere?
Zott
Vidmaster

Might it be related to this issue?
http://pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37877

Also, doesn't a valid map need atleast 3 polygons?
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Aha! I thought I remembered further discussion, but it was on the other forum.

To anyone else that comes across this thread, downgrading to Mono 2.10.11 (available here) worked to restore the icons.

P.S. Hopper explains the issue in that other thread, but my recollection is a 2 polygon map is valid for all purposes other than monster pathing.