A New Member Arrives: Corruptinator!

Introduce yourself here!
Corruptinator
Born on Board

Hello Everyone! My name is Corruptinator and I am new around here. ^_^ I've started playing the Marathon series back in the year 2008 or 2009 when I researched on Bungie's history games in the past. I may have seen the game before when I was very young or little when the Macintosh was available. I wasn't familiar with the name, but the graphics and game-play was eerily familiar. :blink:

Anywho, I frequently play games made out of the Open Source Aleph one engine: Whether Fan-Made or not, Mostly the Marathon Trilogy (I favor Marathon 1 and Marathon 2 for the story, I play Marathon Infinity for Multiplayer). And recently I started to think: "if I can make games out of this wonderful Open Source Engine?" It is possible for me, and I believe that great games that can define gaming history doesn't require huge resources or "AAA" quality-types. It simply requires a small "Open Software" with almost no programming skills to do it.

I have a huge desire to make a video game one day, and Aleph-One may be possibly my first milestone.

I am familiar with using the "Weland" map editor, and I have knowlege on using 3d modeling software. I mostly prefer Blender as my software of choice because it is easier for me to model things in 3d.

Using Blender, I am capable of:

Modeling objects, Characters (Whether humanoid or alien), Animating Sequences, Sound, Textures(Somewhat), video rendering, and more. (Python Scripting not included)

My goal, is to make a great Marathon Scenario, so good that it could be possibly considered CANON (whether any of you argue it should be Official or Unofficial) while enjoying a lot of other video games including Marathon, Halo, or future BUNGIE games (Yay for the new DESTINY game!).

I understand that it can take time and most importantly, patience.

I am not going to guarantee that I am going to do my best, but what really matters to me is this: "I don't try, but I just do it!"

Peace. Over and out. -Corruptinator 01/09/13 2:07 A.M. :)
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Welcome, mate. I happen to be in a similar boat to you; I've been working on a Marathon scenario called Grendel, which I've designed to have a story that should be very entertaining and that fits perfectly into the Marathon canon. I haven't really finished more than one level for it (which means I have a little under 30 more to go - yikes), but I'm determined, and I hope I can start getting back into the project with my free time.
Corruptinator
Born on Board

Nice! well its good to hear that you have good hopes in achieving your accomplishment in making a successful scenario, and you have my full hopes and prayers that you can make it! We just simply need to push ourselves a little further, but not too much to keep it balanced. :) Making good games takes time and patience.

-Corruptinator
$lave

Welcome, and good luck with scenario creation :3 I'm generally eager to help give feedback to new mappers in the Mapping forum. Releasing some short maps there occasionally could be a good start.
Corruptinator
Born on Board

Thank you! I guess starting on small maps will work. I have some more testing with the Aleph One engine to do before I do start making the scenario. :)
dustu
Cyborg

Hi,
I am designing a marathon map also. I have finished one level but can't for the life of me figure out how to add a new level. Weland only seems to support creating one level per map. Any tips on what I'm doing wrong or missing?
I've looked everywhere on forum and on net and see to come up empty. :-(
Thanks in advance!
-p
Dan
Cyborg

dustu wrote:Hi,
I am designing a marathon map also. I have finished one level but can't for the life of me figure out how to add a new level. Weland only seems to support creating one level per map. Any tips on what I'm doing wrong or missing?
I've looked everywhere on forum and on net and see to come up empty. :-(
Thanks in advance!
-p
Hey dustu! Catch!
http://sourceforge.net/projects/igniferroque/
Use Atque to merge multiple maps into one file.
Roses are rose red
Poems don't always make sense
Refridgerator
dustu
Cyborg

Hey Dan! Thanks. I really appreciate it. I did download it, but it corrupts every file I try it with. Reduces the files to 0 KB and makes them unusable. I made backups before trying this (phew) but am now still stuck. Any idea if there are other files out there that may merge map files? :-)

Any help is much appreciated.
-p
Dan
Cyborg

dustu wrote:Hey Dan! Thanks. I really appreciate it. I did download it, but it corrupts every file I try it with. Reduces the files to 0 KB and makes them unusable. I made backups before trying this (phew) but am now still stuck. Any idea if there are other files out there that may merge map files? :-)

-p
:blink: Wow, so Atque didn't work? Well, the only other option I remember for making merged maps is Bungie's Forge; however, that's for Mac OS 9, so you'll need to set up an emulator for it. (Sheepshaver is a good one.) I'll see if there's another way for merging maps.

EDIT: Seems like there's other options like Chisel's Merge tool; personally haven't tried it yet. http://webwonks.org/Marathon/utilities/infinity.html Lots of tools here. I'll keep looking.
Last edited by Dan on Feb 22nd '14, 00:50, edited 1 time in total.
Roses are rose red
Refridgerator
Dan
Cyborg

dustu wrote:Hey Dan! Thanks. I really appreciate it. I did download it, but it corrupts every file I try it with. Reduces the files to 0 KB and makes them unusable. I made backups before trying this (phew) but am now still stuck. Any idea if there are other files out there that may merge map files? :-)

-p
http://forums.bungie.org/story/?noframes;read=64890
Maybe this will help? Seems to be your problem. Not sure though.
Roses are rose red
Refridgerator
dustu
Cyborg

Hi Again Dan!
Thanks so much for the pointers. After struggling a little more on some of the finer point, I was able to merge two maps files and set up an auto exit from one to the other! So pumped! Having never done this before, I didn't understand how the auto exit feature worked. I thought you were supposed to enter a numeral for a polygon…and I didn't understand how that would work from one level to another. Then it finally occurred to me that the numeral was the next level! Duh! I guess I was dealing so much with figuring out how to teleport intra-level, that I assumed auto exit also worked on polygon numbers. :-)

At any rate, thanks so much!!! I have the basics down now. If I get time, I will document the basics for other noobs (I'm a tech writer by trade). :-)
thanks again and hope to see you online again soon!
Dan
Cyborg

Cool, dustu. Sorry, Corruptinator for making your welcome page dirty :P
Roses are rose red
Refridgerator