losing classic scenarios?

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

Why 10.5 minimum?
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

because the Wine wrapper that I'm using requires certain 10.5+ exclusive features to function properly.
Tfear7
Born on Board

File won't expand [MFrown]
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Try using 7zX or BetterZip for extraction.

EDIT:

Here's an older Ph'Joueur upload for OSX that I found on my MF account in case anyone's interested in this:

http://www.mediafire.com/?n121nkzxndm
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Feb 28th '12, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
L'howon
Vidmaster

Tfear7 wrote:File won't expand [MFrown]
I know thedoctor45 mentioned 7zX or BetterZip, but I'd suggest The Unarchiver. Little more on the lightweight side, stays out of your way, and supports a ton of formats. Never had a single problem from it.

Also, I'm having some trouble with that wineskin port on 10.7. I suspect it might be because of my monitor setup, so I'm going to play with that a little but just a heads up.

:edit: Ah, should've figured, whatever it is it isn't a monitor issue as far as I can tell. 10.7 messed around with a lot of stuff though so I can't say I'm honestly surprised. I have the logs wineskin puts out if you care to look at them, unfortunately no screenshots, but it's not a big deal for me personally. Also, why did you package both the M2 Trojan and M2 '95 exe/apps?
Last edited by L'howon on Feb 28th '12, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

sure send me the logs and I'll see if I can fix your problem - btw I included the port because I had to install M2 for Trojan to work so I figured why not include both when I already have them playable - the games aren't that big either...

I'm currently porting ZPC and Damage Incorporated as well tehee... ^^
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Feb 28th '12, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
L'howon
Vidmaster

thedoctor45 wrote:sure send me the logs and I'll see if I can fix your problem - btw I included the port because I had to install M2 for Trojan to work so I figured why not include both when I already have them playable - the games aren't that big either...

I'm currently porting ZPC and Damage Incorporated as well tehee... ^^
Sure, here you go.

logs.txt

I've tried fiddling with some of the settings without much luck. It at the very least runs, and I can in fact start a game, the problem is it handles the colors and frame very oddly. It either defaults to a completely white screen with fragments of previous screens (such as the Safari window I have open), or flickers, showing what looks like a 128-colors version of the title screen underneath. All the UI elements work, if you can figure out where to click. Setting it to thousands of colors as opposed to 256 under graphics seems to make it worse.
Paul
Cyborg

President People wrote:As for content differences, I took a quick run through the first real level, and the most important thing missing is the music. Most of it was excellent, and even worked as ambiance for the prologue level.
Speaking of which, does anyone happen to have those midi files laying around somewhere? I'd love to get my hands on them.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Lh wrote:Sure, here you go.

logs.txt

I've tried fiddling with some of the settings without much luck. It at the very least runs, and I can in fact start a game, the problem is it handles the colors and frame very oddly. It either defaults to a completely white screen with fragments of previous screens (such as the Safari window I have open), or flickers, showing what looks like a 128-colors version of the title screen underneath. All the UI elements work, if you can figure out where to click. Setting it to thousands of colors as opposed to 256 under graphics seems to make it worse.
can you make a screenshot of the visual anomalies?
treellama
Vidmaster

Lh wrote:I've tried fiddling with some of the settings without much luck. It at the very least runs, and I can in fact start a game, the problem is it handles the colors and frame very oddly. It either defaults to a completely white screen with fragments of previous screens (such as the Safari window I have open), or flickers, showing what looks like a 128-colors version of the title screen underneath. All the UI elements work, if you can figure out where to click. Setting it to thousands of colors as opposed to 256 under graphics seems to make it worse.
Try using the up to date XQuartz instead of X11.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Try using the up to date XQuartz instead of X11.
Wineskin uses its own builtin XQuartz version that should work independently from the one that is installed on the OS.
treellama
Vidmaster

thedoctor45 wrote:Wineskin uses its own builtin XQuartz version that should work independently from the one that is installed on the OS.
I saw X11.app in the log.txt, and assumed it was built-in. Should have looked at the build date. Sorry for the noise!
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

What was this topic about? [MErr]
L'howon
Vidmaster

thedoctor45 wrote:can you make a screenshot of the visual anomalies?
Had to do it with a camera, couldn't figure out how to get screenshots to work in Wine, but it's a pretty good representation. Somewhat difficult to one hand it for the second one though :P

Image 1
Image 2
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Try downloading THIS file, extract it and move it into M2 Trojan.app/Contents/Resources/
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

I get a completely black screen running either the M2 Trojan or Marathon 2 apps. It seems to be switching to 640x480; I can see my desktop squeezed into that resolution for a second after I command-Q out of the application. Running Mac v10.6.8.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
L'howon
Vidmaster

thedoctor45 wrote:Try downloading THIS file, extract it and move it into M2 Trojan.app/Contents/Resources/
That seemed to do it, much obliged. FPS goes to crap when I use the map or Assault Rifle, but it's totally playable.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Lh wrote:That seemed to do it, much obliged. FPS goes to crap when I use the map or Assault Rifle, but it's totally playable.
You might as well try opening the file and search for:

Code: Select all

[Software\\Wine\\Direct3D] 1330340525
"DirectDrawRenderer"="gdi"
and change it to

"DirectDrawRenderer"="opengl"
should get rid of the performance bug but might cause other issues....
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Feb 29th '12, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
john_brine
Cyborg

thanks for porting it-it works okay--I guess it's the best I can hope for under the circumstances. However, how I go tinkering under the hood with the DirectDrawRenderer stuff ?(software\wine\direct3d)
I'm running your port on OS X, and I don't know what I'm doing, so any help is appreciated. Oh, and the sound sometimes goes funny...still, it's better than nothing, so well done.....

now about that port of ZPC and Damage incorporated.....you were kidding, right?
I have to assume that you are....

well..gonna have to try try again....still gettin' kilt on the roach farm...where's my can o' raid?
dangit
JB
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

I kid you not - I have both games running pretty well in Wine. They are not freeware though afaik - or are they?
L'howon
Vidmaster

thedoctor45 wrote:

"DirectDrawRenderer"="opengl"
should get rid of the performance bug but might cause other issues....
I just finished a play through, so it's a moot point, but using that option made it glitch out like you suspected.

That was definitely one of the more bizarre scenarios I've played. Worth it if nothing but to see how mapping and the engine has progressed since it's inception though. Reminded me of a hybrid duke nukem 3D/marathon 1 mashup, and jeez almighty was it long. Story could've used some better pacing (or maybe I'm just spoiled on more modern scenarios).

At any rate, it was some good nostalgic fun. Thanks a ton doctor, would've been a shame had it been completely lost
Alric
Born on Board

Anyone have the Wine emulated version of Trojan? The d/l link appears to be broken. Failing that, an Aleph One script allowing me to use the music (which I have in .mp3 format) in the map?

Also, and this is more of a stretch, anyone have a Mac Os X/Windows compatible version/transcript of the Trojan Weapons Pump Pack, or at least the readme? I may want to port that to AO/M2s physics.
Shocktart
Cyborg

I hate Trojan and TC19 because I can't play them.
Its too difficult and cumbersome to make them work on my computer.
Alric
Born on Board

thedoctor45 wrote:I kid you not - I have both games running pretty well in Wine. They are not freeware though afaik - or are they?
A bit late, but do you still have Damage Incorporated for Wine? The game is freeware and you can download it from anywhere...I can't figure out how to get it to work right for Wine and emulating OS 9 isn't quite flawless either.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8f1m5 ... m9/dinc.7z

the above is a Wineskin Port that should run on OSX 10.6-10.10. Let me know if you encounter any issues.