Free Marathon Discs, Manuals, etc (from an old-timer)

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Hey folks, whoever "folks" may be in this day and age. Although I've been distant and life has been a series of swift and drastic changes, I still have a major affinity for this game and it's community. Right now I find myself shedding weight in many different ways, most importantly by selling, discarding and gifting "stuff".

To that end: I have a pile of Marathon goodies (and a bagged copy of the first issue of MacAddict magazine), as listed and pictured below. I will send them, free of charge, to whoever in the continental USA has the best justification (solely based on my own judgement) for why they should get them.

No, I do NOT have anything else to include.
No, I will NOT leave things out of the package, or split up the set.
No, I will NOT ship this outside the continental US.

You can post your justifications in this thread, or PM me. Either way I'll come back to check in a couple days.

Cheers!
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I think it's important that you send it to me. My justification is that I don't really want it at all. Let's see if this ends up being the best reason.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Wrkncacnter wrote:I think it's important that you send it to me. My justification is that I don't really want it at all. Let's see if this ends up being the best reason.
I miss you guys so much.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

I'd love to ask for your Scrapbook since mine was destroyed in a flood, but since I already have the rest of this and you're breaking up the set, I guess never mind.
FlawedIntellect
Born on Board

If you're serious, well...

I don't have any real justification to offer.
Kinda just a bit curious. :3

It would be kinda nice to take a peak into the past with regard to history that I wasn't really aware of for a while.
Sure, I've been using Apple computers for much of my life, but well, it's only been fairly recently that I've heard of Marathon, let alone even played any of it.

X3

Does curiosity regarding history qualify as some sort of justification?
treellama
Vidmaster

I have an unbeatable justification, but I have enough of that stuff already.
TychoVII
Cyborg

I live in Pittsburgh.

You could just stash it under a trash can at point park and tell me the location, no postage necessary.

EDIT: If you were feeling more devious you could make a treasure hunt out of it. You should create a map with a message made out of polygons. The message contains the location of the prize. Divide the map into several floppy disks via hex code so that it must be reassembled before the location can be discovered. Place the disks around the city, each one containing clues about the location of the others. Put the first clue in point park and let the treasure hunt begin.

I would of course document the process.
Last edited by TychoVII on May 15th '14, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
SylithSenjak
Born on Board

I would cry tears of pearls and pure gold to receive such treasure, but I have no room. [MFrown]
Zott
Vidmaster

Send it back to Bungie HQ with a heartfelt message.

"Thanks for the Memories"

Or something cliche' like that.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

SylithSenjak wrote:I would cry tears of pearls and pure gold to receive such treasure, but I have no room. [MFrown]
That sounds like it would hurt.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Zott wrote:Send it back to Bungie HQ
He may not have a box of staples to spare, though.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

Wrkncacnter wrote:
Zott wrote:Send it back to Bungie HQ
He may not have a box of staples to spare, though.
this is why all bungie-related mailings need to be handled by our community liason
the indispensable man.jpg
the indispensable man.jpg (6.92 KiB) Viewed 17245 times
Sharkie Lino

Well, my bro's trilogy CD isn't in the best of shape, I'm sure he would love to have another one. He is also a HUGE fan of those Mac Addict magazines, he does have a few that were not opened, not sure from what years though.

I would certainly love to see what the M1 and M2 manuals have never seen those before. I always enjoy reading the Infinity one.
Dugit
Vidmaster

I tumbled out of a coma solely because of that Marathon Scrapbook.

i should finish Aeon
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Dugit wrote:i should finish Aeon
Yes you should. And I should keep working on Grendel.
irons
Vidmaster

DUGIT COME BACK
irons
Vidmaster

thanks
Shaun555
Born on Board

I will love them and hold them and use them and treat them properly. I have a spot for them next to my Myth, Oni, and Halo games. And the best reason: please.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Shaun555 wrote:I will love them and hold them and use them and treat them properly. ...
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

I would love that copy of Marathon Infinity, if it's not too late for that, but if it is, eh.

I don't really have a reason, other than wanting to play the original game on my old OS 9 Machine.
Zott
Vidmaster

I don't really have a reason, other than wanting to play the original game on my old OS 9 Machine.
Why not download it?
http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/

Or if it doesn't have internet, put it on a USB 1.1, burn it to a CD, or even try a ZIP disk.
Sphting Distance
Born on Board

Has someone been chosen yet? If not here it goes...

I'm not sure if this is a proper justification or not, but Marathon to this day holds up as my all time favorite game. I'm a bit ashamed to say I haven't reinstalled on my new computer. I have been a fan of Marathon ever since my dad's coworker came to him in early '95 and said "Hey Chris I got this new game Nate might like". I was hooked ever since.
CryoS
Vidmaster

looks like a lovely collection, only got the action sack myself.
hanger 96
Spazeroid

WOW! I have a trilogy box with stickers and such, but those floppy discs.