Security Officer 3D Model!

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.
Corruptinator
Born on Board

Hello everyone! I've been busy recently and I have something to show that I have put a lot of love and dedication to! Modeled in Blender along with using the MakeHuman Software, I give you the Security Officer in 3D!

Comments and or Criticisms are appreciated. :)
Attachments
Marathon Security Officer.jpg
Zott
Vidmaster

The top half is looking pretty good.
The bottom half however is too 'smooth'. Those pants need more detailing and crotch.
Corruptinator
Born on Board

Ok, i can improve that. After all, the other things that this model still needs are a few more features and textures. Other than that, I could probably make the pants probably loose or baggy and add more realistic details.
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

Torso seems too bulky to me. Considering the guy is supposedly armored and carrying ammo, the sprites depict him as practically anorexic.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Good job! Thanks for sharing with us.

I think the detail in the head, both the face and the bubble visor, is well done. It's convincingly realistic and the proportions look right to the original art.

The legs do stand out as lacking detail. They look like sweatpants, whereas Marathon uniforms seem more form-fitting. Wrinkles are unnecessary to my mind. I have to admit, though, my mind's image doesn't always match the actual sprites.
Marathon%20Security%20Officer.gif
While the marine's shoulder pads are substantial in the sprite, they fit smoothly over the surface. He's wearing boots/shin guards that come all the way up to the knee in the front. The breastplate seems to come all the way down to the waist in the middle. His neck is fully covered up to the chin strap.

I think his build is fine. Looking at the sprites more, I notice the colored stripe running up his sides actually has a slimming effect. The legs half looks normal enough. The torso half is more open to debate on what's armor and what's muscle. He doesn't look very muscular, which is a bit odd given the way he's described.
irons
Vidmaster

Zott wrote:The top half is looking pretty good.
bishop.jpg
bishop.jpg (31.57 KiB) Viewed 15972 times
Corruptinator
Born on Board

Hello again! sorry for the lack of response, but i've made some improvements! I sorta changed little to the top half(adding guarding rings around his fingers) and made his pants a little baggy to make it interesting. Also, I've added a belt and flashlight! Texturing has been started however! I'll add Knee Bracers soon and do some more texturing. Progress is slow after all!

P.S. I might enlarge the arms a little more when I got the time to do it and there is a neck collar which was supposed to be the Neck guard, but I left a little exposure because his neck was too short for the collar to fit. That might change though...
Attachments
Security Officer Progress 2.jpg
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

Corruptinator wrote:Also, I've added a belt and flashlight!
Well...he is a security officer.
Corruptinator
Born on Board

What is a good model without a good Ambient Occlusion? Realism. :)

Knee Braces are also included. 76% of textures are done.
Attachments
Quick Fix to make less Brightness on object model.
Quick Fix to make less Brightness on object model.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Looks nice. The blue needs to be a shade deeper, and of course the pant stripes need to be added, but other than that, it looks very good. Keep it up!
Corruptinator
Born on Board

Thank you! :)
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Honestly, this is getting farther from the original art with each iteration. The baggy pants, the belt, and the flashlight just aren't true to the source material. Then you changed the bodysuit from a pretty accurate hunter green to a saturated kelly green. Of course you're free to do what you want with your art, but I don't see those changes as improvements. The knee bracers are a step in the right direction, though.
Corruptinator
Born on Board

As far as I can tell, it looks good enough to me. You're right though. It does not look familiar to the original sprites, but its at the best that I can model at. Perhaps one day I'll remodel it again using new shapes rather than recycle the old one. For now, I'll refer this Security Officer as Version 1. Besides, it is good practice to attempt to model a character from a sprite at least.

P.S. Next time for version 2, I'm going to leave his legs smooth and not baggy, and make his torso very slim making it similar to the marathon sprite.
TheMadDoctor
Born on Board

It is looking great. There needs to be some minor touch-ups.
Corruptinator
Born on Board

What minor touch-ups do you recommend?
TheMadDoctor
Born on Board

Particularly more textures if that's not asking too much .
johndoe
Cyborg

Lol dude, I made those same pants almost six years ago.

Glad to see this forum is still active, and also that the Pfhorums are still active.

How long have you been using Blender?
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

johndoe's work is considerably truer to the original in both color and shape, though it, too, looks more like sweatpants to me than something a futuristic security officer would wear.
johndoe
Cyborg

Nah, I wouldn't say that. I was going for a U-2 flight suit vibe, which was already a departure from all the canon artwork. It never came through in the (pretty terrible) model, though, and I never textured it, so only sweatpants remain. [MTongue]

I don't want to distract from Corruptinator's work, though. Even with its weaknesses, it's a much better attempt than I had made.