Terminal Pictures

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
ElbowFromTheSky
Born on Board

I can't seem to get pictures to load in terminals when making maps - I'm using OBED. I also have Terminal Editor One, which I haven't dug into much, but can't seem to get pics working through that either.

So, with OBED - I've searched the forum, and I've googled it, all I've come up with for an answer is that you'd have to either import a bmp (a specifically 8-bit uncompressed bmp) or "append level" and get them that way. The picture will then be added to the scenario as if it were a level of it's own. Then input the level ID# for that picture in "Picture ID" (within the terminal editor in OBED).

But neither way give me a picture within the terminal in the game, it reads "picture # not found".

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? Do the images have to be a certain size (and what is that size?)
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

I think most people here use Atque to manage terminal pictures. Atque turns a merged map into a directory of files and back, which makes it fairly easy to look at a working map and copy that structure to create your own working terminals.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Anyone sane should also use Weland, not Obed.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Weland doesn't really work on windows anymore just by following the instructions. I can definitely see why someone would turn to Obed.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

What part of this doesn't work anymore?
Make sure you have the .NET runtime installed
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netfram ... fault.aspx

Install the GTK# for .NET package
http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

The part you quoted.
treellama
Vidmaster

If you install the beta it won't work. If you install the stable version, it still works. Patches to fix install directions are welcome :)
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I had seen your post a long time ago about getting previous versions, but that doesn't work for me either.

Granted, I don't care enough to really spend time on it. Perhaps I don't have the correct version of the .NET framework. There are multiple to choose from and I'm not going to sit there installing them all. All I'm saying is there are probably people that have tried it, saw that it just crashed, and then went to look for a different map editor.

I can't really help with the documentation, since I haven't had Weland working in years.
ElbowFromTheSky
Born on Board

Hopper wrote:I think most people here use Atque to manage terminal pictures. Atque turns a merged map into a directory of files and back, which makes it fairly easy to look at a working map and copy that structure to create your own working terminals.
For any future reference, this was eventually the way out of my problem. Atque proved to be a useful tool for reverse engineering how things are set up; Obed is a little vague on a lot of things, but ultimately works out pretty well. Obed wants you to insert each image which it reads as a level, and you call that level to the picture id under terminal editor. But getting a picture you've made to work is a whole other thing, and I believe I've run across threads on this forum which cover that.

I wound up giving Weland a go recently, being frustrated with the limitations of Obed (no ambient sounds?). I had trouble installing it initially and was too impatient to deal with it, but recently I just intalled it, it fired right up, and I've had zero problems with it what-so-ever. Much prefer Weland to Obed, although I wish it did more (visual mode, snap to grid, ...).
treellama
Vidmaster

There's a snap to grid button right next to the show grid button!