Eternal X v1.1

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

I say he's neither black or white but brown so [MTongue]
He's supposed to be a martian, or a dug-up reconstructed zombie from an asteroid somewhere or whatever, so he could be a new race that emerged after hundreds of years of living with a human population that diverged itself away from Earth or a funky mix-breed (probably a combination of the latter and mutations caused by external environmental factors led to the former)
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

MoppyPuppy wrote:Or Scuba Steve.
HOORAY FOR SCUBA STEVE!
"Escape will make me God"
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

VikingBoyBilly wrote:I say he's neither black or white but brown so [MTongue]
He's supposed to be a martian, or a dug-up reconstructed zombie from an asteroid somewhere or whatever, so he could be a new race that emerged after hundreds of years of living with a human population that diverged itself away from Earth or a funky mix-breed (probably a combination of the latter and mutations caused by external environmental factors led to the former)

...which is why we should implement the "anti-speculation" face mask.

The only real way to settle this would be to make a marathon scenario depicting the protagonists life prior to becoming reanimated as a Battleroid.
There could be a terminal with a photo id.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

You guys do know this is already a settled issue, right? Not just the Eternal should-he-have-a-mask-or-not bit, but the canonical player-character's race? You can see his skin color on his hands in the fist sprites, and Bungie has said that the S.O. and Bobs were meant to be ambiguous or mixed in race.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

Those are gloves!
CryoS
Vidmaster

no, the fingers were incomplete when i rendered >:C
Last edited by CryoS on Jun 27th '10, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

Hathor is too cool to go for a white guy, so there.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x.style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x.innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

I meant in Bungie's fist sprites.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

Me too -- that wasn't a dis, Cryos.
johnnythewolf
Born on Board

So, it seems my question went unnoticed. Is Eternal still being worked on?
Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

Yes.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x.style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x.innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Actually it kinda was since we're mostly just waiting on him now...
CryoS
Vidmaster

I will be back from vacation in about a week chill!
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGVk9VJfHDE

At 5:02.

That's what the Marine should look like.

The whole thing is how the Marine should kill Hathor too.
johnnythewolf
Born on Board

Any chance of an update soon?
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Ask CryoS.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

So I've finally found time to get what's been sitting on my HD since 2009 out to the public and try to finalize it as v1.1 as I was trying to do four years ago before life buried me in too much shit to even think about games.

Available now at eternal.bungie.org is Eternal X v1.1 beta 4, which is whatever I had sitting around on my HD as of late 2009 plus any improvements I might have made in the interim plus anything anyone else has contributed in that time frame, plus a few minor enhancements I've recently made while finally playing through all that to make sure that you can at least get from beginning to end.

Since I haven't really been on top of things, I can't give a complete change list, but some things that jumped out to me as newish on my play-through or are recent enough that I remember doing them:
  • There's a new floating HUD, with graphics of my design and scripting by Hopper. I think it's pretty awesome.
  • The textures are improved.
  • The landscape textures are now taller, to accommodate the increased vertical viewing angle Aleph One's new Shader renderer.
  • Lots of miscellaneous graphics (like the main screen interface and theme) are improved.
  • Terminals new use the RIGHT tag for PICT sections and make use of the STATIC section for some interesting purposes.
  • I can't really speak to what differences there may be in the maps from 1.1b3 since it's been forever since I played it, though there seem to be some changes made to improve the flow of the prologue level, so I imagine there are probably lots of minor things like that throughout. I think chapter 5 may be a bit different from how it was before too.
I'd appreciate it if anyone could play through this and let me know if there are any show-stopper bugs that should keep me from calling this v1.1 final and taking v1.0.3 down for good. If I don't hear anything like that back in a week or two, I will probably give it another, more thorough play-through myself and call it a day. I'm open to suggestions for people who think I should push back or move up that schedule or proceed differently in any other way, too.

For the future, I am looking to get this up on some kind of version control system along with all of its source files (merge folder for the maps, original PSDs for the textures, etc), so I will no longer be a bottleneck in the release process. It's not looking hopeful as far as solutions for that go, however, so I may end up just putting the map merge folder by itself up on GitHub, though that will still leave me as a bottleneck for getting a merged map into the actual release, not to mention any other improvements anyone wants to make to the rest of the project. (Like poor Hopper's work being stuck in limbo for all these years). I welcome suggestions on this front as well.

I still have someone working on finalizing the new weapons (he keeps forgetting, and I've been too busy to ride him about them), and I'm hoping to recreate all of the textures in even higher resolution (and with other improvements along the way), together with glow and bump maps, to fully modernize them for the new Shader renderer, but I can't make many promises on that front as it depends on the workload at my paying job and other major life factors. But things are looking up on that front, so hopefully no more four-year delays to look forward to :)
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

So has anyone by any chance given this a play through in the past almost-year? I tried to set up a VCS and was met with nothing but frustration and totally forgot about calling 1.1b4 just "1.1" and being done with it.

Unless anyone has any reason not to, I'll probably just do that in the next day or two.
macksting
Born on Board

I'll give it a look. I only just finished Marathon Infinity at Total Carnage difficulty for the first time, so I figure now it's time to look at other stuff.
Presently working on andnomoreshallwepart.sceA
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Good idea. Pfhorrest gets more eyes on Eternal 1.1, and you get exposure to another full-fledged scenario as you pick up mapmaking. Sounds like a win-win. [MUp]
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Make sure you get the Previous Aleph One AI plugin that fixes something broken by a change made in AO in the past year, as that's been integrated into the copy on my HD but not into any released version yet.

I'd also recommend President People's modified Eternal shapes, the changes from which are also going to be incorporated into the next release version, which is now mostly waiting on a fix of the #STATIC bug in AO which is preventing at least me (can anyone else reproduce?) from playing past even the prologue level.
macksting
Born on Board

Sorry it has taken me so long to download it. I've got excuses, but I doubt they're of interest.

Addendum: I'm going to be trying the latest stable version first, to get a feel for it. I may not notice any differences between the stable version and the beta; that would be a good thing, in a sense, though reported crashes and errors are useful data. Nevertheless, unless I know what I should be expecting from a stable release, I figure there's no point in seeing the beta yet.
macksting
Born on Board

1.0.3 won't run for me at present. I'll try 1.1.0 beta for now, just to be complete about it, but at present 1.0.3 finishes the Loading screen after the prologue splashscreen and then just dies straight to desktop. Are there requirements other than Previous AI?

Edit: Both fail for me. How much you wanna bet it's from having a 2006 video card with spotty OpenGL support and no ability to safely render HD textures?
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

1.0.3 was made on a 2000-era PowerMac G4 with a 2004-era GeForce 4Ti graphics card — and the 1.1 betas were mostly made on that same machine with only minimal changes in b4 made on a newer 2011 MacBook — so your 2006-era equipment should work fine. Although "spotty OpenGL support" might be a problem, if somehow your 2006 card had worse OGL support than my old 2004 one did. You definitely do need the ability to render HD textures (run in at least one of the OpenGL modes) to run Eternal; while it nominally supports software rendering, it basically doesn't in practice.