Possibility of a Marathon Speedrun

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
BetrayedLocust
Born on Board

Are there any strategies/routes that one can take for a Single-Segment Marathon speedrun .
Or if one has already been done ?

I already know of the Ingue Ferroque skip , and a few tricks on Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire! , as well as a quicker route through Bigger Guns Nearby . [MUp]
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I've never seen a speed run of Marathon 1, so you'd probably have to do pretty much all of the routing and experimentation yourself, most likely. The only speed run I've seen was of Infinity.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Cody Miller is apparently working on a Marathon 1 speedrun, but he hasn't posted any routes or test runs yet AFAIK.
BetrayedLocust
Born on Board

So i have a time of 1:21:51 , with a few mistakes , one big one is in Colony Ship For Sale , Cheap....
$lave

That sounds like a pretty solid start. Out of curiosity, what difficulty are you playing on?
irons
Vidmaster

breakfast blog difficulty
BetrayedLocust
Born on Board

Kindergarten , but im also routing Total Carnage , that one takes a bit more meticulous planning . but im fairly certain the strats i use can work with slight modification . anyone who wants to see route for themselves here is the film ...

it might not be full as i saved for No-Reset runs to start and hammer out strats ...

Also found anoter time save , most of Bob-B-Q is skippable by grenade jumping up from spawn and continuing to the exit terminal.
Neither High Nor Low is also really easy to skip by gliding up the stairs instead of going around the entirety of the map
[spnkr]
If applicable can we get this moved into Projects?
Attachments
Marathon Single-Segment Run time12153.zip
Film A1 Format
(9.55 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

The uploaded film ends shortly after you fail to make it across the platform bridge at the end of Defend This. Films do not work from saves, only from a new game or Vidmaster level-select. Making saves for practice is a good idea, but neither "single-segment" nor "no-reset" runs should use saves at all, so I'm not sure what you were trying to say. Maybe this wasn't the right film file?

On Never Burn Money, you go out to the third chip, and then come back to pick up the first two and leave via the alternate exit terminal. I can't believe it'd be faster to traverse the corridor outside the Deprivation Chamber twice (especially on TC), plus you spend a lot of time on that elevator back down to the main area.
BetrayedLocust
Born on Board

Ya i didnt have time to watch it to see if the film carries on past saving , and i am revising that route a little as well for Never Burn Money as well as Bob-B-Q and Shake Before Using . i am going to encode the next one to put on youtube.

EDIT: I have actually been duplicating that time a bit with no saving just havent saved the film
What are BOBs for if not to !REDRUM
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

BetrayedLocust wrote:...i didnt have time to watch it...
It's bad form to post/release/publish something that you yourself can't be bothered to watch/play/read. <_<
BetrayedLocust
Born on Board

I'm currently working on new routes for G4 Sunbathing and the pfhor ship levels( exploration missions....) .
I know you can hit the second switch on G4 Sunbathing with the Fusion Pistol, but I am unsure about the others.
BetrayedLocust
Born on Board

Ok so whenever i get past habe quiddam before 40 minutes , the engine just doesnt render anything and soft locks entering neither high nor low.... tried with different hardware and different video settings but it seems to be engine related or something to that effect...

Here is the film of exiting Habe Quiddam at 30 minutes exact and the game soft locks
Attachments
Soft Lock at NeitherHighNorLow.zip
30 Minute Film , no saves , great run up till soft-lock
(57.69 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
TBCR
Mjolnir Mark IV

So I posted this on Speed Demos Archive and on Fennecey's last speedrun on YT. On "Smells Like Napalm..." you can actually skip the path from the left and only close the door on the right path to complete the objective.
Attachments
Napalm Time Skip.zip
(2.44 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
Marathon Speedrun Times: Discord
M1A1 - 26:44 - PB
M2 - 33:52 - PB
M2 - XBLA - 33:00 - PB
M2 - Coop with ApertureGrillz - 27:17 IGT/29:09 RTA - WR
MInf - 13:22 - PB
Minf all main levels - 27:49 - PB
Twitch
TBCR
Mjolnir Mark IV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wy4qqaYjbI

So I proudly present the new WR for the A1 version of Marathon 1
Twitch
TBCR
Mjolnir Mark IV

Image Submitting the entire trilogy for Awesome Games Done Quick 2017. Hopefully one get's accepted.
Twitch
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Still no love for a world record, huh? Maybe using the original M1 files, and/or playing on Total Carnage would overcome the apathy here.
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

Any reason why you chose kindergarden? Playing the first several levels on normal difficulty is relatively easy (total carnage is a different story).
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
TBCR
Mjolnir Mark IV

3371-Alpha wrote:Any reason why you chose kindergarden? Playing the first several levels on normal difficulty is relatively easy (total carnage is a different story).
Both SDA and speedrun.com communities have agreed having a category for every difficulty is stupid. Kindergarten is used because it's actually faster than normal and it's the easiest. Tc is also used, but takes way longer.
Twitch
TBCR
Mjolnir Mark IV

Crater Creator wrote:Image
Still no love for a world record, huh? Maybe using the original M1 files, and/or playing on Total Carnage would overcome the apathy here.

A1 Marathon basically behaves the same, just with mouselook. A1 AND ppc mac runs are grouped together, the only game with a different category for platform is m2 for the 360 version.
Twitch
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

I don't think that's entirely true. Here's a vid of me speeding through the first couple levels on normal difficulty. I know it's not vidmaster quality, but hey it's something.
Attachments
Ass.filA.zip
(14.6 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
TBCR
Mjolnir Mark IV

3371-Alpha wrote:I don't think that's entirely true. Here's a vid of me speeding through the first couple levels on normal difficulty. I know it's not vidmaster quality, but hey it's something.
Now i know you're fucking trolling at this point, but fuck it, i had to stay up for AGDQ deadlines.....

What i'm saying is, Kindergarten Any% and Total Carnage Any% are the only Any% categories. Why have 5 different categories for Any% when you can just have 2. Just because the run is on Kindergarten doesn't mean it wont be entertaining. To give a visual example why i do believe it's true:

These are my splits currently for M1, the Current Kindergarten Any% WR splits. This took almost 4 months to get too. M1 is a barrage of knowing when to do what. which brings the next question.....

How is it that your evidence misses the point entirely?

If you did not know, Any% means to just beat the game. If you watched the speedrun i posted, you would have known that. While your film file has you just galavanting around punching enemies, my video has me literally tearing this game a fucking new one. and even better, take a look at Best of Segments.....Sub muthafukin 28 min. Let's also take into account that A1 has some pretty weird problems. Hardlocks resulting from not having any deaths or reloads after 15 levels is a good example. The game has a crapton of grenade jumps. There is literally parts of the game where i have to go though 4 levels on fucking slivers of health before i refill 1x shields. Habe Quiddam and Colony Ship for Sale are the fucking partner's in crime. All of that on kindergarten.
Twitch
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

Ok! Calm down man! I didn't mean to piss you off. I get your point with overkilling the number of categories. I get it. I understand. Just forget I mentioned it.
TBCR
Mjolnir Mark IV

So with submission evaluations underway, I decided to alter my estimates for the trilogy, since going over estimate is bad and I think I had them too close

M1 from 35 to 45 min
M2 from 45 to 50min to 1hr
MINF from 25 to 38min (because of Naw Man, He's Close and one thousand thousand slimy things)

Keep in mind WR's for those were:
M1- 30:10
M2 - 45:40 (since xbox is seperate category)
MINF - 21:36

Do those estimates make sense for a marathon setting?
Twitch
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

I don't understand the question. Your speed run is precisely timed down to the second or less. What is there to estimate? Is this like the average time a speed run should take? And if so, shouldn't that be based on actual attempts instead of making up numbers?
TBCR
Mjolnir Mark IV

Crater Creator wrote:I don't understand the question. Your speed run is precisely timed down to the second or less. What is there to estimate? Is this like the average time a speed run should take? And if so, shouldn't that be based on actual attempts instead of making up numbers?
You have to give an estimate that the game can be completed under. For agdq, this is also how they schedule. The estimate is always higher than the runners pb to take into account bad luck and whatnot, basically meaning so that the runner has time to finish their run.
Twitch