anyone ever done this?

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

Has anyone tried to build a scenario with undead? It would be cool to try to simulate a zombie plague.

What about one based on Star Wars? A Force-based "weapon" (lightning, 0-damage TK throw, etc) could be interesting to script. Thinking a "shared ammo pool" that was drained at different rates per weapon, and automatically recharged whenever not in use, and faster if not moving at all.

Star Trek would be fun, too. Poor Bob the redshirt... I imagine there would be more transporters than usual. You could have a variant of a "repair" level where putting a tribble in the replicator would repel the invading Klingons.

Or how about a sonic screwdriver weapon. Modify cyborgs and s'pht into rolling and flying daleks, respectively.

Okay enough daydreaming for now...
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Don't hold your breath. I'm still waiting for someone to just make a mountain.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

A few random thoughts...
  • Survival.lua at least offers the 'never-ending hordes of enemies to shoot' aspect of zombies.
  • Force push/pull would be difficult since you can't set a shot's impact force independent of its damage in a physics model. However, I suppose you could update a monster's external velocity directly in lua.
  • A fast projectile with the wander flags set and the right artwork might visually approximate arcing lightning.
  • For a shared ammo pool, using the player's oxygen is an appealing choice since there's already a HUD element for it.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

seven year itch wrote:0-damage TK throw
left hand path.jpg
FlawedIntellect
Born on Board

ChristTrekker wrote:Has anyone tried to build a scenario with undead? It would be cool to try to simulate a zombie plague.

What about one based on Star Wars? A Force-based "weapon" (lightning, 0-damage TK throw, etc) could be interesting to script. Thinking a "shared ammo pool" that was drained at different rates per weapon, and automatically recharged whenever not in use, and faster if not moving at all.

Star Trek would be fun, too. Poor Bob the redshirt... I imagine there would be more transporters than usual. You could have a variant of a "repair" level where putting a tribble in the replicator would repel the invading Klingons.

Or how about a sonic screwdriver weapon. Modify cyborgs and s'pht into rolling and flying daleks, respectively.

While you're on that subject, where's Brutal Marathon, to make weapons feel more visceral and to rip 'n tear not only Phor Fighters, Troopers, Hunters, and enforcers, but also BoBs that jam up the hallway?
</joking>
Zott
Vidmaster

Star Trek
For a while there was a mod called "Warp Factor" but it died like many projects.
https://web.archive.org/web/20050212182 ... _Advocate/
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

Zott wrote:For a while there was a mod called "Warp Factor" but it died like many projects.
https://web.archive.org/web/20050212182 ... _Advocate/
Looks cool! I tried to follow up on it, but a blog entry from 2011 indicated most of the files had been lost.
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

Looked up the Joshua Lemay of Warp Factor (wasn't too hard) and found that's he's doing a gaming/tv/movie podcast now. He thought it was great that people are still talking about this scenario, and if there's interest, maybe he'd do an episode discussing it.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

being a bit of a trekker myself - I'd definitely be interested in hearing more about the history of Warp Factor and if I wasn't occupied with Halathon and WMaiD atm I'd even be willing to invest some effort into resurrecting that scenario. ChristTrekker, do you have info on which files of Warp Factor are still intact and useable?
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Nov 5th '14, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

thedoctor45 wrote: info on which files of Warp Factor are still intact and useable?
Ask him through his podcast/blog, A Trouble With Words.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

I sent him an e-mail a few days ago and contacted him on his blog but got no response - have you actually managed to get in contact with him?
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

OK I got a response now - unfortunately it seems everything has been lost due to a HD format & faulty backups, so there's no chance of resurrecting that scenario. However, Josh told me he's planning to dedicate the next episode of his podcast to shedding some light on the history and background of Warp Factor and he asked me to let you guys know that he's glad people of the community are still interested in his work.
Alric
Born on Board

FlawedIntellect wrote:
ChristTrekker wrote:Has anyone tried to build a scenario with undead? It would be cool to try to simulate a zombie plague.

While you're on that subject, where's Brutal Marathon, to make weapons feel more visceral and to rip 'n tear not only Phor Fighters, Troopers, Hunters, and enforcers, but also BoBs that jam up the hallway?
</joking>
It may be a joke but I've thought about that idea ever since playing Brutal Doom :D Even before then I made a physics model that made weapon behavior more realistic, sped up most projectiles greatly, and made enemies more aggressive. Maybe I'll upload it to Simplici7y if anyone's interested. I thought of making some sort of BD-style "gore" script but I don't know where to start, plus it'd likely require someone more skilled with sprites than I am.