The Apotheosis Team (Team Fenris)

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
Shocktart
Cyborg

Does anybody know the contact information for Team Fenris the team behind Marathon : Apotheosis?
Contact information in the readme is a dead email address.

Are they on the Pfhorums?

Please help. Its really important because winter lasts only a month.
Time sensitive.
Thank You to all who help.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

If you're looking to ask permission for something, Apotheosis is on the Orphanage, whose terms of use allow for credited, non-commercial use unless otherwise specified. The download link is busted, but neither the scenario page nor the news post on the front page mention special conditions. That may be enough for your needs.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

Shocktart wrote:Are they on the Pfhorums?
Todd did make an account on the Pfhorums to discuss the project. Here's a link to the thread: Apotheosis beta abandonware
Todd wrote: What you can doog with it:

- Finish it! Are you an intrepid marathon developer? Tie up our loose ends! We don't know how to edit marathon files under OSX, but some of you lot seem to!

- Use it for your own projects. Like the textures, weapons, monsters? Feel free to use them. Please ASK first, and credit the Apotheosis team.
You could try PMing him, and you are probably fine just listening to hopper/patrick and giving full credit where it is due.
Thank You to all who help.
{you are doing so good}
Shocktart
Cyborg

What about team Sigma? Creators of Portal of Sigma.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

Shocktart wrote:What about team Sigma? Creators of Portal of Sigma.
next post best not be about squadron
next post best not be about squadron
doog notification.jpg (4.52 KiB) Viewed 11612 times
simon

maybe leave it be
Shocktart
Cyborg

Only trying to look like less of a grade-A asshole, being a grade-A asshole to a tiny degree is inevitable.
At least I don't take a high and mighty attitude and look down upon others because of their level lighting.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Shocktart wrote:Only trying to look like less of a grade-A asshole, being a grade-A asshole to a tiny degree is inevitable.
At least I don't take a high and mighty attitude and look down upon others because of their level lighting.
In fairness, being a shithead about stolen artwork and being a shithead about level lighting aren't really equitable.
Shocktart
Cyborg

RyokoTK wrote:
Shocktart wrote:Only trying to look like less of a grade-A asshole, being a grade-A asshole to a tiny degree is inevitable.
In fairness, being a shithead about stolen artwork and being a shithead about level lighting aren't really equitable.
You know after looking into it I don't understand what happened. In the Marathon Orphanage it makes clear that everything on the site is free game. How is any of it stolen then?
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

"Stolen" is probably not the technically accurate term. "Falsely attributed," maybe? Phoenix credits the appropriate people for their work, but there was a time when I was being (rightfully) accosted by several legitimate artists for misusing their stuff.

It was also a case of Simon being like, "here's all this cool stuff I made for you!" and it turned out that wasn't really the case.

I act like an asshole but using people's artwork without their permission is crossing a line to me. I mean, this is now seven years after the fact and I'm not anywhere nearly as invested into TGI/Phoenix as I was back then. At this point I would have had no issue with just harvesting the Orphanage myself and giving credit where it's due (since I did that very thing with the music in Phoenix) but back then I was a lot more prideful about it and wanted materials made for that project.
Shocktart
Cyborg

RyokoTK wrote:"Stolen" is probably not the technically accurate term. "Falsely attributed," maybe? Phoenix credits the appropriate people for their work, but there was a time when I was being (rightfully) accosted by several legitimate artists for misusing their stuff.
Well perhaps you've connected the readily apparent dots and deduced that I mean to "attribute" some things myself.
All communication has fallen on deaf ears and I'm stuck, I can't get written permission.

I need to know what they rightfully yelled at you for, I'm going to guess it was the textures but beyond that the rest was covered by the terms of use outlined in the Orphanage. What did they have the right to be angry for?

More importantly, what could they have done to you?
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

The Orphanage terms of use require the original authors to be credited, and RyokoTK didn't provide that credit, because he didn't know they came from the Orphanage. Simon had either led Ryoko to believe the contributions were Simon's own work, or failed to mention that they were the work of others. The specifics of what Simon provided are listed in the link Patrick posted. Since their work wasn't credited, the authors were rightfully upset, and Ryoko even more upset that he'd (unwittingly) violated their terms of use.

Later in that Story forum thread, RyokoTK adds (in the "By the way" post) that Portal of Sigma uses textures by James Hastings-Trew without permission. I wasn't around for any of this, and don't know whether any Portal of Sigma violations were resolved; I only know what's been posted on the forums.

What Ryoko and Patrick are saying is this: Portal of Sigma is tainted. If you're looking to redistribute or borrow from it, chances are you'll step on someone's toes regardless of what Simon says.
Shocktart
Cyborg

Hopper wrote: What Ryoko and Patrick are saying is this: Portal of Sigma is tainted. If you're looking to redistribute or borrow from it, chances are you'll step on someone's toes regardless of what Simon says.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

Shocktart wrote:
Hopper wrote: What Ryoko and Patrick are saying is this: Portal of Sigma is tainted. If you're looking to redistribute or borrow from it, chances are you'll step on someone's toes regardless of what Simon says.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMKV2HeEabY#t=1h46m24s
Last edited by patrick on Mar 27th '19, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Shocktart wrote:
RyokoTK wrote:"Stolen" is probably not the technically accurate term. "Falsely attributed," maybe? Phoenix credits the appropriate people for their work, but there was a time when I was being (rightfully) accosted by several legitimate artists for misusing their stuff.
Well perhaps you've connected the readily apparent dots and deduced that I mean to "attribute" some things myself.
All communication has fallen on deaf ears and I'm stuck, I can't get written permission.

I need to know what they rightfully yelled at you for, I'm going to guess it was the textures but beyond that the rest was covered by the terms of use outlined in the Orphanage. What did they have the right to be angry for?

More importantly, what could they have done to you?
I think that simply providing appropriate credit in a read-me or whatever is enough for stuff from the Orphanage. Hopper is correct; that I used the stuff from the site is not the problem, the problem is that I didn't attribute it correctly. But there's also stuff from Tempus Irae (which you may note is not in the Orphanage) and Marathon: Resurrection which was not offered for use, attributed or otherwise.

I mean, could they have filed a lawsuit against me for it? No, I don't think so, but being chased from the community for blatantly misusing people's stuff without permission doesn't sound too appealing to me.

(I resolved the issue with JHT by explaining the case to him, at which point he was still irritated but was willing to let it slide, if I recall correctly. As for the Resurrection stuff, it was just the song I used for the title screen, which I took out.)
treellama
Vidmaster

patrick gets it, but I don't think you do yet
Shocktart
Cyborg

RyokoTK wrote: I mean, could they have filed a lawsuit against me for it? No, I don't think so, but being chased from the community for blatantly misusing people's stuff without permission doesn't sound too appealing to me.
Getting kicked from the community?
I can only imagine how terrible that must be, and for such a trivial reason with such a simple solution.
Honestly communities will ban someone for the must mundane and benign stuff but I guarantee they would have still played TGI all the same.
Todd
Born on Board

Biggie Smalls Biggie Smalls Biggie Smalls.

Sup?
Shocktart
Cyborg

Todd wrote:Biggie Smalls Biggie Smalls Biggie Smalls.

Sup?
I sent you a PM.