Tools needed to make complete scenarios?

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
Neonstar
Born on Board

Hi all. I've lurked around the pfhorums for a while now, after discovering the awesomeness of Marathon last year. After starting a network game club with Durandal maps at my school, and losing all my doom fan friends over which shooter is better, I'm thinking of working on a full scenario, though my toolkit probably needs some extras.

I'm running Windows 8.1 (gaming rig), and I have Sheepshaver with MacOS 9.0.4, and Basilisk II with OS 8.1. Forge for me gives an error and crashes if I try using M2 shapes file, idk why, different downloads still have that error. Weland doesn't work for me either, even with the dependencies, and Obed plain sucks. (Plus M295 doesn't work for me)

Am I able to make a full scenario with my setup? I dunno of anything other than Weland. I've got the misc editors for terminals and that on my MacOSes too. - Neon
Sometimes, you've got to get better, before you can get better.
Power Macintosh G4/1.25 DP - OS 9
sparklo
Spazeroid

The current toolchain for developing maps/scenarios is:
  • Weland - 2-D level layout (drawing polygons, setting heights), adding objects
  • Vasara (Aleph One plugin) - texturing levels, setting up switches and terminals
  • ShapeFusion - editing custom physics, shapes, and sounds
  • Atque - bundling all the elements together into a map file
I just tested Weland on a fresh installation of Windows 8.1 (via a virtual machine). First, I checked the .NET installation following the instructions from Microsoft; my machine had v4.0.30319. Then I downloaded and ran the GTK# installer. I grabbed the most recent Weland release 1.4.1 for Windows. After unzipping the download, I was able to run the application and created a little test map without any problems.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

Neonstar wrote:Am I able to make a full scenario with my setup?
You still need graph paper. It's compatible with any type of pen or pencil, but I recommend pen.
Neonstar
Born on Board

I have experience with the pen, it is a mighty tool when dual wielded (messy though)

Alright, thank you guys. Hopefully I have a project to present soon.
Sometimes, you've got to get better, before you can get better.
Power Macintosh G4/1.25 DP - OS 9