ULTRA MARATHON

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Gabrieloup
Born on Board

Last edited by Gabrieloup on Sep 28th '15, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

How is this a remake? Everything is exactly the same.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

any_new_ideas.jpg
Gabrieloup
Born on Board

philtron wrote:How is this a remake? Everything is exactly the same.
Gameplay has changed. You'll feel it once you get into the mod. Weapons are insanely more accurate, have faster bullet travel, and deal more damage, and this also applies to all enemies. Some enemies have a random chance of attacking each other for no reason, giving you random distraction opportunities. Sounds were also changed and replaced by the awesome ones from Rubicon. The F'lickta also possess the ability to imitate human speech, just like in the Predator movies (and they also have a gravely voice while doing so). Bullets also teleport in teleporters, like in Doom. In addition, you will see Marathon 2, Survival Maps, Infinity and Coriolis Loop running in a single engine with the same addons and mods across all of them.
Gabrieloup
Born on Board

By the way, for everyone else interested, would you guys mind if I replace the Marathon 2 maps with the ones from the Windoes 95 version? I know, I know, Marathon 2 fanboys will be going all flaccid and all, but, they're so much better! They're bigger, look more like an actual place, the corridors and all are more diversified so that you don't get lost every 5 minutes without the constant use of the auto map, and there are sometimes more gameplay elements, and not to mention, it's something that XBLA players never played nor will never get. The only thing that will be shared between the XBLA Marathon 2 and Ultra Marathon is the graphics. Nothing more anymore.

Also, since I'm not going to make a remake of Marathon 1 (because the original Marathon 1 isn't very friendly towards mods, and M1A1 isn't friendly to users instead), what if I made a movie of it using M1A1? Maybe with voice acting, and even a voice for the security officer himself. Not to go overboard with this, but It'd make a fine replacement, rather than a crappy mod with lots of bugs, or a crappy game with lots of bugs. Marathon 1 had a crappy level design anyway, the ship is more of a maze than an actual place. The only levels that are even remotely good looking are Arrival and Try Again. The rest of the levels have walls made of just a single texture with poor alignment, really frustrating and boring mazes. Marathon 2 and Infinity beat Marathon 1 in almost every single way, but Marathon 2 still remains the example of the Marathon series in terms of level design to this date.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I can't imagine anyone cares what you do with this. Do what you want.
Gabrieloup
Born on Board

Wrkncacnter wrote:I can't imagine anyone cares what you do with this. Do what you want.
I know haha. I was just kidding around. Still gonna replace the old Mac Durandal maps to the '95 ones.

I wonder if anyone remembers that I said that the 30FPS lock on Aleph One was bullshit. Well, it's bullshit if you have the same experience than the 360 version, but now I feel that my mod makes the trade-off from 60FPS to 30FPS justified, since you have so many more features you won't have on XBLA Marathon 2.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

looks great

my favorite part of the video is the lua error in the survival part

you're also really good at the game
Tycho X
Cyborg

RyokoTK wrote:looks great

This,

This is Ryoko.

Totally not being sarcastic.
Frog blast the vent core!
$lave wrote:Damnit bridgit, you are forgetting how fucking serious business the internet is.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Yeah I also love the part where he uses the remixed version of the Marathon 2 theme music from the Marathon 2 Special Edition soundtrack instead of like taking the theme music from a popular Aleph One scenario or something.
Gabrieloup
Born on Board

RyokoTK wrote:looks great

Please tell me when you're gonna publish The Gray Incident again...
Pfhorrest wrote:Yeah I also love the part where he uses the remixed version of the Marathon 2 theme music from the Marathon 2 Special Edition soundtrack instead of like taking the theme music from a popular Aleph One scenario or something.
Thanks. Well I did use the Eternal theme for the gameplay trailer, and the Resurrection theme for the story trailer. The Marathon 2 SE Theme will be the main theme used in the menu for Ultra Marathon.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

now pfhorrest, it is possible he got permission from the creators of resurrection and eternal for the music

to make a cool video
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

Love the ModDB page, except it should probably have the title screen on it

Idea for the game: Use Duke Nukem's voice clips for the Security Officer's voice (or Sgt. Mjolnir Marcus IV as I like to call him, the protagonist in my Brütal Doom/Marathon crossover fanfic in the works) Also you can add a taunt key like in the original Doom as well
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

i wanna tell tycho, go fuck yourself!!
Gabrieloup
Born on Board

President People wrote:Love the ModDB page, except it should probably have the title screen on it

Idea for the game: Use Duke Nukem's voice clips for the Security Officer's voice (or Sgt. Mjolnir Marcus IV as I like to call him, the protagonist in my Brütal Doom/Marathon crossover fanfic in the works) Also you can add a taunt key like in the original Doom as well
No way I would do that. Well it is possible but it would make all Simulacrum BoBs do the same taunts as you, which wouldn't be awesome, and rather awesuck. There's a mod that changes the microphone button to make a BoB taunt each time you press it, and I could change the taunt sounds but as I said... It's not really worth it, and someday I bet there's gonna be a Brutal Marathon mod for Doom. It's eventual.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

でてけ wrote:the music

to make

a cool video
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

clearly their mars announcement theme should be reminiscent of when they built a research base on the moon
Gabrieloup
Born on Board

RyokoTK wrote:clearly their mars announcement theme should be reminiscent of when they built a research base on the moon
aeiou
Tycho X
Cyborg

RyokoTK wrote:i wanna tell tycho, go fuck yourself!!
:(

Time for me to ignore you for the next 7 years
Frog blast the vent core!
$lave wrote:Damnit bridgit, you are forgetting how fucking serious business the internet is.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

This is as terrible as any thread from the good old days. Good job everyone.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

i mean it wasnt single handed but im still ruining the community, youre welcome
megabyte
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:looks greatmy favorite part of the video is the lua error in the survival part
The first time I look at this board in years and one of the first things I see is how one of my highschool projects has an error. Great. Looks like a new version of Survival is coming out soon.
FlawedIntellect
Born on Board

Well, if you want, you can use the Windows 95 versions of the maps, though I think it'd be nice if there were the option to use the original versions of Marathon 2's maps. Just having the option is nice.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

FlawedIntellect wrote:Just having the option is nice.
unam sanctum