Why do damaged Pfhor attack each other?

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Zetren
Born on Board

~
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Because the berserker flag is set in their physics models.

Oh, you mean in-story? Cause bugs be crazy yo.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Actually, not all Pfhor do this, only certain ones. In a Marathon physics model, each monster/alien can be tagged as a 'Berserker' (located under 'Behavior Settings'). A monster with this tag turned on will show the behavior you've probably been noticing, which is to say, when significantly damaged, 'Berserker' monsters will attack anything in sight, regardless of its normal Friend-or-Foe settings.

As a general rule, only Major Pfhor have this tag actually turned on in the game. So, green and orange Fighters will not go berserk, but purple and blue ones will. This can be quite useful, as it allows you to let a whole group of enemies annihilate each-other while you simply wait around the corner listening or watching to determine when the killing has stopped.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

It's because of shell shock.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'm not sure it's shell shock, but I do know that the Pfhor are prone to unusual neurological, psychological, and mental occurrences. [MGrin]
Zetren
Born on Board

Interesting. Is there a specific canonical reason for this trait? I come from a Halo (PC) background where the importance of hierarchy in the Covenant meant that Elites could regularly abuse Grunts at whim without consequences. Similar was the relationship between Brutes and Elites.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

Zetren wrote:Interesting. Is there a specific canonical reason for this trait?
They are bad guys and they are mean.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Yeah, this is never really even made reference to in any of the Marathon terminals. The nature of Pfhor society is, itself, somewhat difficult to comprehend, though attempts have clearly been made.
Cathunter
Cyborg

"as it allows you to let a whole group of enemies annihilate each-other while you simply wait around the corner listening or watching to determine when the killing has stopped."

Once I found there was a bunch of troopers behind the next door, far more than I could take on and survive. I opened the door, fired a grenade through and kept slamming the door closed. I finally opened it just in time to see the last two troopers annihilate each other. Amusing but a bit of an anticlimax.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Because Doom did it