POLL: The Future of 'Tour of Duty'

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

What Marathon scenario should 'Tour of Duty' cover next?

Poll ended at Apr 10th '16, 05:25

Marathon: Phoenix
11%
Marathon: Rubicon X
30%
Marathon: Eternal X
4%
Marathon: RED
11%
Tempus Irae 2: The Lost Levels
4%
Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge
30%
Devil in a Blue Dress
11%

Total votes: 27
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

In case you're not a regular visitor to the Marathon's Story Page or the Marathon's Story Forums, let me bring you up to speed on what the 'Tour of Duty' is about.

Beginning in mid-2012, I had an idea, inspired by the classic Volunteers series, for a new series of posts on the Story Forums called 'Tour of Duty'. It was probably one of the better ideas I've ever had, and easily the most successful so far. Initial plans changed a bit, and the series became increasingly detailed in its discussions of each and every level, but it has been a very good series. I was initially the first and only writer, but around July 2013, I was joined by Martin, who helped do the write-ups for Beware of Low-Flying Defense Drones and Try Again, and with whom I then shared the work for the Marathon 2 series. I left the write-up scene at the end of Marathon 2, and Infinity was covered instead by a combination of Martin and VikingBoyBilly (with the exception of the write-up for By Committee, which I wrote, and a number of dream levels that were covered by Hokuto). You can find a complete list of all of the write-ups for the original Marathon trilogy here (just scroll to the bottom of the page).

After finishing Infinity, Martin and VikingBoyBilly went on to cover Tempus Irae, a series which just finished 5 days ago, with Billy's coverage of the level 'For Your Eyes Only'. Now, we (meaning me, Martin and Billy) intend to continue the Tour of Duty through another fan-made scenario, but the problem is, we can't decide which one we want to cover. So, my idea was, how about we put the decision out there for the Marathon community to vote on? Martin and Billy agreed, and we settled on seven options we would put out there for you to vote on, which you can see in the poll at the top of this post.

Now the choice is in your hands: which scenario do you want us to write about, you citizens of the Marathon community? [MSmile]

Some notes to take account of before you vote or comment on this post:

The reason you don't see 'Marathon: Evil' on this list is because that scenario was already covered by the Rampancy duo of Narcogen and Blackstar, who were simultaneously putting up their Let's Plays of the Marathon series while we worked on the Tour of Duty series. You can see their playthrough of Evil here. Likewise, since we're not going to be covering Evil, we did not include the scenario "Siege of Nor'Korh", which was the prequel to Marathon: Evil.

'Tempus Irae 2: The Lost Levels' was included because, well, it is the "sequel" to Tempus Irae, which is the scenario we just completed. It would seem natural to continue with that, but many people might not feel the same way or might just want to change to an entirely different environment.

The reason we're doing this as a poll here, rather than initiating a discussion over on the Story Forums, is because:
1) It's easier for people to vote by selecting a poll option, instead of having to write a new post just so they can say "I want you guys to do scenario ____."
2) It's easier to tally up results through a poll, rather than have to sort through a whole list of posts just to get a sense of the results.
3) This seemed like a good excuse to reach out to the Pfhorums community and introduce a whole bunch of new people to the Tour of Duty series.

If you want to list your reasons why you think a certain scenario makes more sense, either to convince others why they should do the same (that is an important part of a democracy, you know), or just to initiate conversation, feel free to reply to this thread.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This poll will close in two weeks, so make sure to get your vote in by April 10!
irons
Vidmaster

ryoko already did a "i will play every level in rubicon x and comment on them [sic]" thread. stop voting for rubicon. same for eternal. please vote for emr my life depends on it
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I vote for Marathon: Rod.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Ungghhh...

***sickening silence ensues***

Yeah... Let's not talk about that here. Please. Let's just try and focus on what this thread is really about and not... other things. I promise I will talk about that soon. Really. Just... not here.
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

I vote for Rubicon X.
Fuck you irons.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

Marathon: Apotheosis
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

PerseusSpartacus wrote:I promise I will talk about that soon.
I don't think anyone actually cares. I was just being a dick.

Marathon: Apotheosis
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

irons wrote:ryoko already did a "i will play every level in rubicon x and comment on them [sic]" thread. stop voting for rubicon. same for eternal. please vote for emr my life depends on it
I hate English. Should it really be "I will play every level and comment on it?"
irons
Vidmaster

the correct way to say it is "rubicon x is much worse than the original"
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Oh, yeah. Thanks.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

philtron wrote:I don't think anyone actually cares. I was just being a dick.
No no, it was a well-placed criticism. I knew I needed to make a decision sometime soon, and you've just really made it clear to me how vital that is... Believe it or not, I have to thank you for giving me such a swift, hard kick.
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

As for previous efforts, there is a 26 video youtube series on Phoenix by someone named Alex Bolton who seems to have a passing familiarity with the scenario, though a printed ToD might be more accessible especially for use during carnage and mayhem.
But the existence of a previous commentary shouldn't rule out a new one.
TI 2 only has 12 populated levels (at least in the version I have) and are kind of fun, especially Il Spazio Pogano which is similar to Begging for Mercy... in Durandal but I would think a ToD would be better done on a more lengthy and complex scenario. Especially since it would be serialized.
So, it's really a difficult decision.
DiaBD available only as tar.zg is sorta off-putting.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

HelviusRufus wrote:As for previous efforts, there is a 26 video youtube series on Phoenix by someone named Alex Bolton who seems to have a passing familiarity with the scenario, though a printed ToD might be more accessible especially for use during carnage and mayhem.
Alex Bolton, if you hadn't noticed, is just RyokoTK's real name. So yeah, that was him doing a commentary on his own scenario. Indeed, that does not rule out a ToD of Phoenix, and in fact it just means there's more material out there to work with and to incorporate into the Tour. Still, given the way the voting is going, it's not very likely that we'll be getting to Phoenix until later... if ever.
treellama
Vidmaster

Wrkncacnter wrote:I vote for Marathon: Rod.
http://simplici7y.com/items/marathon-w-rkncacnter
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

treellama wrote:mararthon: w'rkncacnter
{solidarity with treellama}
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

patrick wrote:
[solidarity intensifies]
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Was that intended as a real vote? If so, I'll add it to my 'special votes' list that I'm keeping track of. Oh, and the same goes for the 'solidarity' comments.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:
patrick wrote:
[solidarity intensifies]
sri llama.jpg
/!\ r-n: user was martyred for this post /!\
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

PerseusSpartacus wrote:
Was that intended as a real vote? If so, I'll add it to my 'special votes' list that I'm keeping track of. Oh, and the same goes for the 'solidarity' comments.
Have you played it before? If not, then it is a real vote.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Yeah, if you can't find Marathon: Rod, Marathon: W'rkncacnter would be my next choice.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Then I'll say Marathon: W'rkncacnter gets 4 votes, a surprise showing from a normally little-acknowledged scenario.
JUICEMAN
Born on Board

You know, I've always wanted to see Marathon: W'rkncacnter analyzed, as well.
The One
Born on Board

All this talk of Marathon: W'rkncacnter has made me curious. Please do that one.