Imperium VII

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

10/07/2023: Get the seventh edition of Imperium here!

---Original post from August, 2016---
Hey folks.

I've made some new useless netmaps over the last few months, even though Infra Apogee was supposed to be my "last" pack or whatever. I simply could not 4get. Some of these maps are concepts that seemed too interesting to ignore (see: Getaway UK and Palace of Ice), while others are much simpler and geared towards smaller games for the slow months on the Meatserver.

I really just do this for my own amusement these days; netmaps take less time than solo maps and it's fun to see peoples' reactions on the Meatserver.

And if you're still reading, here are some pictures and fancy words about the newest release:

Getaway UK
A single structure stands on a small island in the middle of an ocean. I have to credit Ryoko for the fog on this one, which is a slight variation on Fishing Hamlet's fog script. This is probably my favorite map of the bunch - unlike anything I've done before. Even though the structure is a bit smaller, the surrounding beach/water makes the map bigger than you'd think. SMGs and shotguns have a definite advantage out on the shore.

The Palace of Ice
My first map since finishing up IA. This one was geared somewhat towards the survival script -- the upper tunnels provide both mobility and cover, and stretch across most of the map. Also keep an eye out for powerups -- both 2x and invisibility spawn on this map.

Cabrón Dating
A small and fast level, meant for duels or three players maximum. Subversion is advantageous here, and the underground tunnel provides great cover with access spanning the whole length of the map. Rockets and shotguns are king.

Blue Comet
My fastest turnaround on a map (~12 hours). This one joins the ranks of Cabrón Dating in being small and fast, though it employs an entirely different weapons lineup: SMG and AR dominate on this map, except when the one lone rocket launcher rarely spawns.

Argus Array
A bit bigger than the two levels above, this one is good for 2-4 players. Also, don't tell let CBS know about it.

Stabtown
Height is advantageous here. It's easy to be ambushed, so tread lightly, and while I wouldn't recommend 5 players on this level, it can certainly be bonkers in the right mindset.

So there you have it. DOWNLOAD IMPERIUM HERE AGAIN.

I await your always pleasant comments, Wrk.
Last edited by Windbreaker on Mar 6th '18, 11:14, edited 3 times in total.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I'm having a really hard time picturing what these maps might look like, with those ridiculous weapon graphics drawing all of the attention.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

Wrkncacnter wrote:I'm having a really hard time picturing what these maps might look like, with those ridiculous weapon graphics drawing all of the attention.
Hey Wrk,

Thanks for reaching out. I hadn't realized the "hi-res" weapons I got from the last decade might be off-putting to some, so here's a clearer version of "Getaway UK".

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.
Attachments
OliveBranch.png
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I don't know, it's better than it was but it still doesn't seem quite right. Maybe if you were using BallsHUD in your screenshot, it'd look like something worth downloading.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

Wrkncacnter wrote:I don't know, it's better than it was but it still doesn't seem quite right. Maybe if you were using BallsHUD in your screenshot, it'd look like something worth downloading.
Okay, how's this look? I hope this is closer to your satisfaction -- I took some artistic liberty as you can see, and I want you to have only the best map experience you can. Hopefully this gives you a good idea of what Getaway UK is all about! ;)
Attachments
ImDoingtheBestICan.png
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Gross, dude. What is wrong with you?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Windbreaker wrote: I await your always pleasant comments, Wrk.
Whatever, dude. I'm not even going to give you the satisfaction of saying anything in this thread.
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

I've played through these with the Survivals (both the plugin and the script) and while they are not made for that, it's still fun. In the UK one, they spawn outside the invisible wall and in some o the others, they spawn in unreachable places but they don't seem to care so that's OK. You do have to play on the lower difficulties though or you're quickly overwhelmed. Sounds good with the Trinity sounds file.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

HelviusRufus wrote:In the UK one, they spawn outside the invisible wall and in some o the others, they spawn in unreachable places but they don't seem to care so that's OK.
Thanks for the reply Helvius! I'm curious though -- which survival script do you use? I know of Megabyte's and Benoit's, both of which usually keep aliens from spawning in the unreachable areas. I'd recommend Benoit's if you haven't tried it out. It comes with a script generator as well, which is pretty intuitive to use and fun to mess around with.
RyokoTK wrote:I told you so.
I learn from the best.

edit: I love my reply just three posts down. Apparently I've done this before and genuinely have no recollection of it.
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

Both, Megabyte's and Benoit's, though I'll have to go look to see if'n it's in both that spawn outside... the wall.
And if'n they come inside to play.
treellama
Vidmaster

treellama
Vidmaster

Dear windbeaker,

your net maps suck. write some code.

love,
treellama
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Or at least make an entire scenario.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

treellama wrote:Dear windbeaker,

your net maps suck. write some code.

love,
treellama
Hey tree,

Thanks for your correspondence. I actually didn't realize I had this sweet coding skill set until today (thanks Alpha), but oh man!

Get ready for 60fps-fully-film-supported-smoov-mouse Alpha One 2.0.0! You read that right.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

HelviusRufus wrote:Both, Megabyte's and Benoit's, though I'll have to go look to see if'n it's in both that spawn outside... the wall.
And if'n they come inside to play.
Hmm, I'll have to look into that. I usually play survival online and they never spawn beyond solid lines (placed there so the ball doesn't get lost/players who need revived don't fly into unreachable areas), but I'm not sure about solo. I do know the newest version of Benoit's script fixed the issue where aliens spawn outside, perhaps you're using the old version?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Windbreaker wrote: Get ready for 60fps-fully-film-supported-smoov-mouse Alpha One 2.0.0! You read that right.
Can you please use my icon when you finish the work? I spent a long time on it and it's not even a netmap.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

Wrkncacnter wrote:
Windbreaker wrote: Get ready for 60fps-fully-film-supported-smoov-mouse Alpha One 2.0.0! You read that right.
Can you please use my icon when you finish the work? I spent a long time on it and it's not even a netmap.
Absolutely. I'm also happy to announce that Alpha One 2.0.0 is actually dropping netmap support. Who needs them when no one plays online anymore? It's about efficiency, folks.

The future is looking brighter every day.
Sharkie Lino

Who knew the smartest 8 year old in the community could do so much?
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

Sharkie Lino wrote:Who knew the smartest 8 year old in the community could do so much?
And I can do more. Things work at breakneck speed when you have your priorities in order. I'd like to unveil the official Alpha One icon to be implemented upon release:
priorities.png
priorities.png (18.3 KiB) Viewed 16347 times
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

The future of menu screens is here. It's like Deus Ex.

My icon is augmented.
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

Windbreaker wrote: -- which survival script do you use? I know of Megabyte's and Benoit's, both of which usually keep aliens from spawning in the unreachable areas.
They spawn outside in Hopper's plugin But don't in the scripts.
I tried it on a scratch start on Sakhmet Rising and both plugin and script spawned in the piazza though that's
not really a fair test since that is not an inaccessible area. Though with the auto regeneration of the script,
you can grenade jump back over the wall and make it to the O2 downstairs.

Right now, I prefer Hopper's plugin slightly over the script. But that's on strictly solo play.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

HelviusRufus wrote:They spawn outside in Hopper's plugin But don't in the scripts.
I tried it on a scratch start on Sakhmet Rising and both plugin and script spawned in the piazza though that's
not really a fair test since that is not an inaccessible area.
To my knowledge, on multiplayer maps the scripts don't spawn monsters where they can't access the hill, or something similar. Naturally that wouldn't factor in on the solo maps, but I have a very limited knowledge of those scripts so I may very well be talking out my ass.

I do, however, have a survival script I generated using Benoit's script generator, complete with rocket juggernauts. Admittedly the rocket juggernauts are a pretty tough enemy, and thus the script only works really well on a few maps (Amandla from Caustic Dystopia, Getaway UK/Palace of Ice from Imperium) where you can find cover or a good defendable position. Check it out:
Survival 100.lua.zip
(6.93 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

Heya folks. I've been pretty busy the last few months with school and such, but I had some free time over the break to work on some ideas I had. The second edition of Imperium is up on Simplici7y and features four new maps!

Special thanks to Wrk for his help in modifying Treellama's precipitation LUA for a few maps in this update. Here's a breakdown of the latest maps:

End Times
Official lavamap. A geothermal research station has been overrun by lava and fissures due to a nearby volcanic eruption. This one's really fun with any number of people, even though it's a larger map. Survival also works well - just stay in the central complex.

Hyacinth House
Official storm map. An amalgamation of the rain script from Infra Apogee and the lightning effects from "Falgging Snag" by Wrk, along with some extra goodness. I'm pretty happy with the result on this one.

Yucatan Dive
A yuge, yuge map. I made this one mainly with Benoit's survival in mind, but it works with EMFH and KOTH as well as long as you have a minimum of 8 players. The upper tower/corridors offer the best cover since aliens don't spawn there.

Old School Bollywood
Speaks for itself.

GERT THE LERTEST VERSION HEAR