What is the DS_STORE

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Sure. I'll just whip up some sort of web server that logs incoming connections. Creating access logs will be a revolutionary new feature that will change the world. I just have to come up with a cool name for it. Something like 'apache' or 'nginx' would be pretty catchy.
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

I don't have access to Marathon's servers. I don't think you'd be able to view such things without a password. Besides I don't use apache, so how the fuck should I know.
You do realize this thread's no longer about DS_Store file creation. Thanks to both you & me we've ruined it. You proud of yourself? I'm not.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

The DS_STORE question was asked, answered and finished by the 3rd post in this thread. The rest of it is just pointing out how ridiculous you are. While I'm not "proud" of anything that happens on the pfhorums, it's a form of entertainment, and I'm OK with that.
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

What kind of computer do you use Wrk?
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

3371-Alpha wrote:NETMAPS ARE FUCKING WORTHLESS, GET OVER IT!
shut up, moron
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Apple IIgs. I upgraded the ram and swapped out the floppy drives for a 3.5 inch floppy drive. And then I put a GTX1080 in it.
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

If the community produced something other than netmaps for once then I probably wouldn't have said that.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

The community focuses on making content that the community actually wants to play? INSANITY.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

3371-Alpha wrote:If the community produced something other than netmaps for once then I probably wouldn't have said that.
lol good post idiot
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I was actually going to respond to that in serious defense since this is a direct jab at myself and Windbreaker, only to realize that you, as an impotent blithering teenager, have now effectively taken a passive-aggressive millennial stance toward every single person that has contributed anything of any kind to this intellectual cesspit of a game this decade, because we haven't catered to your specific, insignificant, malformed, and retarded wishes that nobody on the goddamn planet gives even a fraction of a thought about. You don't know anything about anything, but you want to make sure that the other six people that still read this dead and insipid forum know very well just how ignorant and banal your inbred thoughts are, as if we need to know how many extra chromosomes you were born with. You are the living, breathing definition of a millennial internet fuckboy, a complete waste of carbon with no skills and no knowledge that expects other people to cater all of their goddamn efforts to your specific imbecilic desires. Your posting is pure bilge, an amalgamation of half-asleep non-thoughts that rational high-functioning people eject from their brains because they spend a moment of self-reflection and realize that said thoughts are completely unintelligible and without merit, but goddamn, you've done your fucking utmost to make sure that you still have all of these asinine, half-witted non-thoughts and that they're saved to the internet for all eternity so everyone can associate the name 3371-Alpha with putrid, stagnant mental waste.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

This is kinda tangential but a pet peeve of mine: Ryoko, IIRC you're at least slightly younger than I am, and I'm right on the oldest threshold of being a Millennial, so you're (unless I'm mistaken) a Millennial as well, so that's not exactly the best insult to be throwing around.

And more on topic: Alpha, for a long while I've kinda wanted to try to defend some of your positions a little, but goddamn man, you're making that harder and harder with every post.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I know I'm a millennial, but it's not like I've never taken shots at myself on this forum before.

Besides, some people describe millennials as people born in the mid-to-late 70s, so the term is basically garbage.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:so the term is basically garbage.
I feel like "millenial" is becoming another "hipster": a meaningless term that doesn't reference any tangibly defined group of people, but which is used as an excuse to be angry and look down on strangers in order to feel superior about oneself.
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

Pfhorrest wrote:And more on topic: Alpha, for a long while I've kinda wanted to try to defend some of your positions a little, but goddamn man, you're making that harder and harder with every post.
Sorry about that, when I get annoyed I also tend to get aggressive.
RyokoTK wrote:I was actually going to respond to that in serious defense since this is a direct jab at myself and Windbreaker, only to realize that you, as an impotent blithering teenager, have now effectively taken a passive-aggressive millennial stance toward every single person that has contributed anything of any kind to this intellectual cesspit of a game this decade, because we haven't catered to your specific, insignificant, malformed, and retarded wishes that nobody on the goddamn planet gives even a fraction of a thought about. You don't know anything about anything, but you want to make sure that the other six people that still read this dead and insipid forum know very well just how ignorant and banal your inbred thoughts are, as if we need to know how many extra chromosomes you were born with. You are the living, breathing definition of a millennial internet fuckboy, a complete waste of carbon with no skills and no knowledge that expects other people to cater all of their goddamn efforts to your specific imbecilic desires. Your posting is pure bilge, an amalgamation of half-asleep non-thoughts that rational high-functioning people eject from their brains because they spend a moment of self-reflection and realize that said thoughts are completely unintelligible and without merit, but goddamn, you've done your fucking utmost to make sure that you still have all of these asinine, half-witted non-thoughts and that they're saved to the internet for all eternity so everyone can associate the name 3371-Alpha with putrid, stagnant mental waste.
Wow. That's a huge response for me simply calling netmaps worthless.
I'm gonna' tell you a little story Ryoko. When I was in 6th grade, I dismantled an entire computer down to the bare case & reassembled it, and I didn't use ANY documentation. I did so purely by memory. One of the common things I like to do that other people find "weird" is that if I don't know something I will either google it or do book research on it. By the time I was in 7th grade I already knew how a computer monitor worked because of this. I knew that each pixel was made out of 3 sub-pixels (a red, blue & green one) in order to display things in color. I knew that the monitor is nothing more than a giant graph with the pixels on screen being nothing more than the points on that graph (this is the reason they use the term "graphics" when referring to picture quality). In 8th grade, a web-design/HTML elective opened up & I took it. I was one of the top students in the class. 9th grade, we had a game development class where I learned to use GameMaker: Studio. Most of the games we made were mediocre quality when compared to the mainstream game of course, but hey I can say I made a game. Sure, I've never gotten laid, but does that really matter when you have one hell of a future ahead of you?
Frankly, I don't think "millennial internet fuckboy" really matches what I am because of the above.
The reason I'm always getting on this community's ass about netmaps is because I think Marathon/AlephOne has a lot more potential than that. I'd fix it my self, but I don't have the necessary skills (yet). Many of you, on the other hand, do. So it baffles & frustrates me why no one has tried. Another reason I insulted netmaps is because, frankly, though Marathon had excellent multiplayer for it's time, many other more modern games (halo 1 for example) can do a lot of what Marathon does in it's multiplayer a lot better than Marathon, and many of those games are now free or inexpensive (like in Halo 1's case). The main reason why anyone would play Marathon these days is for it's campaign. It's wonderful campaign.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

3371-Alpha wrote:I knew that the monitor is nothing more than a giant graph with the pixels on screen being nothing more than the points on that graph (this is the reason they use the term "graphics" when referring to picture quality).
If anything, the etymology is the opposite of that.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

Wow. That's a huge response for me simply calling netmaps worthless.
Not really. Netmaps take hours or days to develop. Mappacks can take weeks or months. So when you "simply" toss that thing off as "worthless" it's a direct insult to the time and effort Ryoko and I put into our respective works (and keep in mind, you yourself have admitted these insults were nothing more than that: insults). You'd better expect people who've been making maps for 10+ years to get a little salty when you not only come here demanding other people do all your work for you, but then go a step ahead and insult some of the only content still being created for the community.
I'm gonna' tell you a little story Ryoko. When I was in 6th grade, I dismantled an entire computer down to the bare case & reassembled it, and I didn't use ANY documentation. I did so purely by memory. One of the common things I like to do that other people find "weird" is that if I don't know something I will either google it or do book research on it. By the time I was in 7th grade I already knew how a computer monitor worked because of this. I knew that each pixel was made out of 3 sub-pixels (a red, blue & green one) in order to display things in color. I knew that the monitor is nothing more than a giant graph with the pixels on screen being nothing more than the points on that graph (this is the reason they use the term "graphics" when referring to picture quality). In 8th grade, a web-design/HTML elective opened up & I took it. I was one of the top students in the class. 9th grade, we had a game development class where I learned to use GameMaker: Studio. Most of the games we made were mediocre quality when compared to the mainstream game of course, but hey I can say I made a game. Sure, I've never gotten laid, but does that really matter when you have one hell of a future ahead of you?
What is the point of this story? To tell us you do actually know stuff? Because the reactions you are getting are from your conduct here and not all the cool super sweet things you did in public school.
Frankly, I don't think "millennial internet fuckboy" really matches what I am because of the above.
Again, the reason everyone here is turning against you is because you're being a dingus. If Bill Gates started being an asshole and demanding everyone else do his philanthropic work for him, his wealth or "accomplishments" would be besides the point. He'd still be an asshole and that's what people would be writing about.
The reason I'm always getting on this community's ass about netmaps is because I think Marathon/AlephOne has a lot more potential than that. I'd fix it my self, but I don't have the necessary skills (yet). Many of you, on the other hand, do. So it baffles & frustrates me why no one has tried.

What does this even mean? I'm not a developer, I've never been a developer, and I've never claimed to be a developer. I don't think Ryoko has either. And we're the only ones who've made netmaps in the past ~year or so. So because developers don't want to do your bidding, you lash out at other content creators and call their works "worthless"? And you wonder why people are turning against you?
Another reason I insulted netmaps is because, frankly, though Marathon had excellent multiplayer for it's time, many other more modern games (halo 1 for example) can do a lot of what Marathon does in it's multiplayer a lot better than Marathon, and many of those games are now free or inexpensive (like in Halo 1's case). The main reason why anyone would play Marathon these days is for it's campaign. It's wonderful campaign.
What the fuck? 17,114 games have been played on the Meatserver since mid-2014. There are rounds online almost every night. It's not as active as other games, sure, but you don't get to say "the reason why anyone would play Marathon these days is for it's campaign" because that's your opinion; it isn't fact. You don't get to call your opinion fact. YOU like campaigns. YOU don't find any value in netmaps. And that's fine if it's your personal opinion, but don't be surprised when the community reacts badly to you shitting on content creators for no other reason than "I want these mappers to do something completely out of their wheelhouse, therefore everything else is shit and clearly my opinion is the only one that's valid".

I read your post about Fallout 3, and it seems you have a big problem thinking your opinions are anything more than that. Maybe you don't, but that isn't what you've written. We aren't in your mind, we only have your posts to go off, and right now you seem to be making a buffoon out of yourself. The sad thing is, I'm with you on wanting Marathon to be more popular. I wish it were, and I think a lot of us (not all) wish the same. But the way you come here and insult people because they're mappers and not using their non-existent "dev" skills is just weird.
treellama
Vidmaster

3371-Alpha wrote:
treellama wrote:No, they're not.
Logic tells me that because Marathon was originally a Mac game, most of it's user base will be Mac users.
The Windows versions of Aleph One get the most downloads by far.
The built-in archive utility for OS X has no such feature.
Of course it does:

Code: Select all

zip -r netmaps.zip -x ".DS_Store" netmaps/
Being a complete ass to everyone on the board is one thing, but please stop posting when you don't have the first clue what you're talking about.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Might as well just ban him if that's what you want, since every post of his contains misinformation, lies, or ignorance.
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

Windbreaker wrote:Not really. Netmaps take hours or days to develop. Mappacks can take weeks or months. So when you "simply" toss that thing off as "worthless" it's a direct insult to the time and effort Ryoko and I put into our respective works (and keep in mind, you yourself have admitted these insults were nothing more than that: insults). You'd better expect people who've been making maps for 10+ years to get a little salty when you not only come here demanding other people do all your work for you, but then go a step ahead and insult some of the only content still being created for the community.
Look, maybe I was being too hasty when I called them worthless. Sorry if I offended you but goddamn! doesn't this community do anything else these days?!
Windbreaker wrote:Again, the reason everyone here is turning against you is because you're being a dingus. If Bill Gates started being an asshole and demanding everyone else do his philanthropic work for him, his wealth or "accomplishments" would be besides the point. He'd still be an asshole and that's what people would be writing about.
My point was "Millennial internet fuckboy" generally refers to someone who is worthless. Can't a guy be an asshole and still have purpose in life?
Windbreaker wrote:What does this even mean? I'm not a developer, I've never been a developer, and I've never claimed to be a developer. I don't think Ryoko has either. And we're the only ones who've made netmaps in the past ~year or so. So because developers don't want to do your bidding, you lash out at other content creators and call their works "worthless"? And you wonder why people are turning against you?
To be fair anyone can be a developer. Just have to pick up a book. Because most of the developers left around the time AlephOne finally stabilized, no one else is developing the engine besides Hopper. I think it's fair to say he could use some help.
Windbreaker wrote:What the fuck? 17,114 games have been played on the Meatserver since mid-2014. There are rounds online almost every night. It's not as active as other games, sure, but you don't get to say "the reason why anyone would play Marathon these days is for it's campaign" because that's your opinion; it isn't fact. You don't get to call your opinion fact.
Like I said, maybe I was too hasty when I called them completely worthless. I've tried Marathon's multiplayer before and it's fun, but in my opinion many newer games do do it better than Marathon. Instead of netmaps, have you ever considered making netscripts for additional game modes? I've always liked Conquest back when I use to play Battlefield. Think you can make a script like that? Another interesting thing to add to Marathon would be vehicles. Perhaps you can implement it in a concept similar to the pigcop patrol craft in Duke Nukem 3D? I see you already have a drone.lua as a starting template.
Windbreaker wrote:YOU like campaigns. YOU don't find any value in netmaps. And that's fine if it's your personal opinion, but don't be surprised when the community reacts badly to you shitting on content creators for no other reason than "I want these mappers to do something completely out of their wheelhouse, therefore everything else is shit and clearly my opinion is the only one that's valid". I read your post about Fallout 3, and it seems you have a big problem thinking your opinions are anything more than that. Maybe you don't, but that isn't what you've written. We aren't in your mind, we only have your posts to go off, and right now you seem to be making a buffoon out of yourself. The sad thing is, I'm with you on wanting Marathon to be more popular. I wish it were, and I think a lot of us (not all) wish the same. But the way you come here and insult people because they're mappers and not using their non-existent "dev" skills is just weird.
I never implied they were facts, I just have very strong opinions about things. Frankly, it was the "in my opinion" part that comes before the sentence that was implied. It's also worth noting that this entire community is built around an opinion. A strong one. That Marathon was a great game.
treellama wrote:The Windows versions of Aleph One get the most downloads by far.
So let me get this strait, all of you through away your Macs for PCs? Or were you all just Halo fan PC users that converted over?
treellama wrote:Of course it does:

Code: Select all

zip -r netmaps.zip -x ".DS_Store" netmaps/
I was referring to within the gui space, there's no option for such feature.
treellama wrote:Being a complete ass to everyone on the board is one thing, but please stop posting when you don't have the first clue what you're talking about.
To be fair, you were an ass first. Remember when you kept making fun of me for having old hardware whenever I asked for help?
RyokoTK wrote:Might as well just ban him if that's what you want, since every post of his contains misinformation, lies, or ignorance.
Wow, so that's what this place has come to. You don't like some ones else's opinion so you just erase them? Real mature Ryoko, you blithering child.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

3371-Alpha wrote:To be fair anyone can be a developer. Just have to pick up a book. Because most of the developers left around the time AlephOne finally stabilized, no one else is developing the engine besides Hopper. I think it's fair to say he could use some help.
I want to frame this quote and present an award for the least self-aware post on any forum on the entire Internet.

"Look, anyone can pick up a book and learn programming, so everyone else except me should be doing that and get to work on the features that I want."
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

If I said this one I've said it a thousand times! I'm currently learning programming! I haven't reached the stage where I cant fix all AlephOne's drawbacks, but at least I picked up a book. What actions have you undertaken?
Congratulations, your post about a post lacking self-awareness, it's self, lacks self-awareness.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

You're right, I haven't contributed anything to this game or community.
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

I was referring to the engine.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

¯\_(シ)_/¯ I'm not the one complaining about the engine or the people that have worked on it.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

Look, maybe I was being too hasty when I called them worthless. Sorry if I offended you but goddamn! doesn't this community do anything else these days?!
Considering only three out of ten uploads on Simplici7y's first page were mutliplayer maps, yeah, I can safely say this community does do other things. And I didn't even have to Google that. More importantly, why are mappers being held responsible for the community as a whole? This isn't some business where people have to pick up the slack. Ryoko and I make maps because it's fun, not because we have this arrogant belief that "the community needs this more than anything else". It's what we can do and so we do it. Jesus, why is that so hard to understand? Would you rather people not submit their content if it doesn't suit your own agenda? Because this community would just be more dead if that was the case.
My point was "Millennial internet fuckboy" generally refers to someone who is worthless. Can't a guy be an asshole and still have purpose in life?
If you want to exact any real change in this community, being an armchair asshole is not the way to go about it.
To be fair anyone can be a developer. Just have to pick up a book. Because most of the developers left around the time AlephOne finally stabilized, no one else is developing the engine besides Hopper. I think it's fair to say he could use some help.
So that responsibility falls on Ryoko and I? I'm just saying -- you're arguing for the time and effort of two people in the community, who don't have the skills and experience you need for your ideas. Because Ryoko and I are the only ones that still make multiplayer mappacks. I just don't understand why this seemed like a fight worth having to you.
I've tried Marathon's multiplayer before and it's fun, but in my opinion many newer games do do it better than Marathon. Instead of netmaps, have you ever considered making netscripts for additional game modes? I've always liked Conquest back when I use to play Battlefield. Think you can make a script like that? Another interesting thing to add to Marathon would be vehicles. Perhaps you can implement it in a concept similar to the pigcop patrol craft in Duke Nukem 3D? I see you already have a drone.lua as a starting template.
That's funny, because many people online specifically play because they enjoy Marathon's multiplayer experience. You're acting like your opinion of multiplayer should dictate the efforts of the whole community. And as we've said before, 3 out of 10 of the latest uploads have been multiplayer maps, so they are certainly not the entire effort of the community right now, so you can't say "I wish this community would do something else!!" Do you have a problem with how often we release maps? Because I'd think someone concerned with the community's activity would be, at a base level, happy to see people still making stuff for it in earnest. That's what I've always thought, at least.
I never implied they were facts, I just have very strong opinions about things. Frankly, it was the "in my opinion" part that comes before the sentence that was implied.
Frankly,
If everyone in this community starts to hate me because of that, guess what? Fallout is still a piece of shit.
If I get banned because I offend a rabid fallout admin, fallout is still a piece of shit.
aren't phrased like opinions, and:
The main reason why anyone would play Marathon these days is for it's campaign. It's wonderful campaign.
Doesn't have the word opinion anywhere in it. So I don't know what you're talking about there. Frankly.

Your priorities just confuse me. If you want to code, focus on honing that skill. How effective do you think you'd be as a developer if you keep shitting on random people in the community? That's Wrk's job anyways.