Eternal X Music

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
RJVanSchaick
Born on Board

So I recently downloaded Eternal X and Aleph One for our new computer. For some reason, the same music track is playing on each level (Swirls: Piano from the prologue). Does anyone know why this might be happening, or how to fix it?
"I could bore you with a philosophical tirade about freedom and tyranny, or try and explain what new options are suddenly open to me, but I doubt you'd understand and if you did it might frighten you. That amuses me."
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

That was a bug that got introduced in a recent-ish version of Aleph One and then was quickly fixed. You sure you have the current version?
RJVanSchaick
Born on Board

I'm not sure but I'll check.
"I could bore you with a philosophical tirade about freedom and tyranny, or try and explain what new options are suddenly open to me, but I doubt you'd understand and if you did it might frighten you. That amuses me."
RJVanSchaick
Born on Board

Pfhorrest wrote:That was a bug that got introduced in a recent-ish version of Aleph One and then was quickly fixed. You sure you have the current version?
I just re-downloaded the most current version right from the Aleph One website (from June of last year) and it's still having the same problem.
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

A horrible thought, but it might be the computer. Do you still have the old one and does the same download work there?
I ask because there are discussions about mouse issues, for example, that the only difference twixt those that work and those that don't seem to be the physical computer.
Another example, I have a Dell that when I use the M for map command, the game exits to the desktop. Immediately. And the program has ended, just like using the Quit button. But it works fine on a different computer.
Another thought is, that there might be an MML file hanging around somewhere that is doing it. That was the cause of some bloom issues I was having.
There are several music related discussions in the Pfhorums and at least one is about the problem you're having or one very similar to it.
It's all very complicated.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.
RJVanSchaick
Born on Board

We got a new computer recently, a Dell. The scenario worked great on the old computer, however it was a previous version of both the scenario and Aleph One (from April 2010, I think). I transferred them over to the new Dell using Google Drive, and they didn't work, so I downloaded the latest versions, and then the problem started.

I'll check the forums to see if there's any other ideas I can find.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Here are some old threads about the topic if they're helpful:

The one where the bug was found:
http://pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=38216#p163438

The one where the bug was fixed:
http://pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=39075

Looks like it's maybe only in an alpha version that it's fixed, but there's a workaround for the current release version.
RJVanSchaick
Born on Board

Thanks. This looks helpful. From what I'm reading, I have to get rid of static. After looking through all the folders, I'm not sure if it's something I need to do during the unzipping process, or if it's a specific file that I have to trash.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

#STATIC is a terminal tag used in recent versions of Eternal; removing it entirely from the game would be an extensive process of splitting the map file, editing every single terminal text file, and remerging the map file. You don't want to do that.

The easier solution is to download the Aleph One 1.3 alpha where the bug is fixed (linked in that second thread there), or failing that, to use the workaround of starting a new game, immediately exiting back to the main menu, and then actually starting a new game for real (mentioned at the end of the first thread).