Possibility of a Marathon Speedrun

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I don't know if you're going to get good advice about speed running here, homie. I think you should set your estimates a little bit above your average run rather than the WR, since you aren't going to get the WR at a live event.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Don't listen to Ryoko's negativity. What you want to do is taper and then cram a bunch of performance enhancing drugs right before the event.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I don't think I've ever seen anyone completely cranked out of their mind on speed at GDQ, so maybe that's a good way to get your name out there.
TBCR
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:I don't know if you're going to get good advice about speed running here, homie. I think you should set your estimates a little bit above your average run rather than the WR, since you aren't going to get the WR at a live event.
That right there was actually all the advice i needed on that subject of estimates. I think i was worrying too much.
Marathon Speedrun Times: Discord
M1A1 - 26:44 - PB
M2 - 33:52 - PB
M2 - XBLA - 33:00 - PB
M2 - Coop with ApertureGrillz - 27:17 IGT/29:09 RTA - WR
MInf - 13:22 - PB
Minf all main levels - 27:49 - PB
Twitch
TBCR
Mjolnir Mark IV

So fun times for M2, as I managed to somehow get a Sub :40 on Waterloo Waterpark

http://stats.lhowon.org/speed/marathon-2/1

Provided below is the film, time starts when control is given and time ends after I completely teleport out of WW.
Attachments
tbcr-Waterloo-Waterpark-WR-39s.7z
(1.08 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
Twitch
TBCR
Mjolnir Mark IV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzWlkqpA_a8

I have finally achieved what I set out to do originally during Awesome Games Done Quick 2017. A nice sub 20 time that still has some room for improvement. Shoutouts to ApertureGrillz for figuring out how to make that skip on A Converted Church in Venice, Italy a hell of a lot easier.
Twitch
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

TBCR wrote:I have finally achieved what I set out to do originally...
Ausgezeichnet!
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.
Asylum
Cyborg

A kindergarten speedrun sounds far less entertaining than a TC speedrun.
(●__●)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(●__●)
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Maybe he does Kindergarten because TC speedruns get deleted. I had a perfectly legitimate 90 hour speedrun of Charon Doesn't Make Change that got deleted from lhowon.org because the whole system is rigged. Sad!
TBCR
Mjolnir Mark IV

Asylum wrote:A kindergarten speedrun sounds far less entertaining than a TC speedrun.
Kindergarten runs are more on the technical end in terms of what you do during the run. TC is, for the most part more combat intensive. I generally prefer Kindergarten because I like the SickStrats™, though I do occasionally do a TC co-op run with Aperturegrillz. With recent developments in Infinity (and possibly more, we'll get to that later in this post), I might tackle TC in that.

That being said, I should probably mention some of the neat things that have happened in the speedrun section of the community.

One of the major things that we have recently came across is how to handle going "Out of Bounds" more consistently. I say "Out of Bounds" because it's generally more of a clip/warp. Going fully out of bounds makes the game crash. The following two videos show off how to pull 2 particular "OOB" off in Feel the Noise and 6k Feet Under. In particular for the latter video, notice how the right number value on the practice script hits ~28WU/s. From what we gather, the value of this, which Aperture calls ext_speed in the script, needs to be around this value in order to successfully perform a "OOB". That being said, it's not 100% perfect, but it is consistent enough to want to at least try it during a run, since it makes getting the worst spawn not a run killer.

These tricks also lead into the exciting (and something I predicted for a long time) quest for getting an RTA run of Marathon 2 down to under 30 min. ApertureGrillz's current Sum of Best(SOB) is currently a 29:44, though that is not the SoB from his recent WR run of 31:38 seen here.

Infinity is getting to some fun territories in "fun" as more and more things are being found for it. First, By Committee has has an almost complete change in it's route through the level, as evidenced in this 1:49 IL from me. The main difference to this and the RTA route is that the area that we climb a staircase to in the 2nd half of the level we have to go to first in the second half to spawn ammo.

A Converted Church in Venice, Italy has a peculiar trick of doing a door clip at the start of the level. This particular door clip is easier to pull off than others. Two levels that could be broken immensely with this is Electric Sheep One and Aye Mak Sicur. If a way to clip through the door to head to the Electric Sheep Three path, we can skip 4 whole levels (Whatever you Please ->Hang Brain) in addition to the levels we already skip. Clipping through the door on Aye Mak Sicur and let us skip having to do the sewer section.

The problem with ESO and AMS is that both doors have a frame to them right before the actual door, which for the latter, makes almost all velocity just stop dead in it's tracks, and the latter makes it hard to actually pull it off without dying.

There is some more things I want to over later on.
Twitch