Does anyone remember this?

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

goran wrote:dcbob is going to have a good laugh at this, but the answer to the non existant minor aliens is this:
I changed the minor colorschemes to the major color schemes because I found them to be more good looking. I wasn't opting for harder gameplay, no. It's fighters, troopers, and spht who are effected by this. It's interresting you noticed this. I'll throw some of them back, and change some of them to white/black colorscheme.
I pick up on the most inane things sometimes. Green fighters are among my favorite monsters, and their absence made me sad, which is when I realized that they were still there -- just purple.
The non existant sounds. I'm aware of this. I figured it would be pretty quiet in their closed base. I'll try to throw in some sounds areas here and there.
I agree, but miscellaneous machinery still makes noise. Wind will still be rushing through some of those long narrow corridors. That kind of thing.
For the waves of major fighters at the end: Yes you can blast them away with the AR. The idea was that they should make the player run. I may experiment with throwing some other aliens into the mix. 1-2 hunters in each wave maybe.
Well, I was referring to any of the waves throughout the level; they're kind of frivolous, since there's no real threat at all.
For mcfortress, I'll take care of the things you noticed. They all seem to be easy fixes. There's a fusion pistol on mcfortress. I think I'll leave it where it is, and put a fusion pistol early on crudelitas. (beginning room maybe)
That would be nice, actually. I don't really enjoy using my AR on Cyborgs, but there are a lot more Cyborgs on Crudelitas than McFortress.
A recharger on crudelitas could be placed somewhere in the basement right at the start (where you have a pattern and terminal). I returned to that area quite a lot when I played the map. If you have your own suggestions for the placement of a recharger, please let me know.
That's where I'd put it, yeah. Thanks, goran.
goran
Vidmaster

On vampire coffin again:

Its the first level, and the pfhor have just broken into the base. I figured the resistance would be easy.

Shadowbreaker, do you want to place more sounds in Mcfortress?

On crudelitas:

- add recharger
- add fusionpistol at begining
-Ill place more pistol ammo throughout the level
-the map terminal will show all loctaions that needs to be activated. This terminal will hopefully fix a lot of the "maze problem"
Drictelt, can you write down all polygon numbers of the "repair switches"

Ryoko: Im so caught up in the betatesting I forgot to tell you that the terminals are correct now. If you want to make changes after have played through the levels - all the better. And thanks for getting some meat on the table. The betatesting was doing pretty poorly prior to this.
Last edited by goran on Dec 29th '06, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Its the first level, and the pfhor have just broken into the base. I figured the resistance would be easy.
Totally, but you're missing the point: a wave of melee fighters doesn't provide minimal threat against an AR, they provide no threat whatsoever.
-Ill place more pistol ammo throughout the level
-the map terminal will show all loctaions that needs to be activated. This terminal will hopefully fix a lot of the "maze problem"
That would definitely be appreciated.
goran
Vidmaster

I've replaced two melee fighters with two hunters in every wave. (not only at the end)

enhanced intelligence in underconstruction. There's more ammo than there should be. I've moved around the starting location to test battles. Placed some extra ammo at each starting location and so on. I'll clean up the ammo when the level is done.

I think the biggest concern is the end level (20000 sporks). It should be built out with an additional 400 polygons. I can chnage the battles so they get harder, but there's not room for that much battle since the level is small right now. I'll have to sleep up a plan to get it done with speed.
Last edited by goran on Dec 29th '06, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I'd really appreciate it if the deadline was extended again so that a lot of time could be devoted to fixing issues and making a really good final level. I might take a stab at it, actually, if that was the case (I can't do too much over the next few days, but if the deadline was extended to Jan. 10 or so, then it'd definitely get done).
goran
Vidmaster

I agree with you. Moving the deadline like last year is a good choice. The major part of the scenario is done now, and we owe it to ourselves to tweak it until it gets really good. This is what remains to be done:

- Betatesting and fixing all current levels until they're flawless. (any teammember)

- add an additional level that will serve as the end level*

- rewrite some terminals (betattesting) (ryoko)
- add terminals to new level. (ryoko)

- finish enhanced intelligence (goran)
- make pictures to terminals (goran)
- Fix credits "chapter screen" (goran)

*Ryoko, if you want to map this level, you're welcome to do so.

The deadline for the project is now the 10th januari 2007.
Last edited by goran on Dec 29th '06, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.
goran
Vidmaster

Concerning Sinjid's level, welcome to the corp.

I'll not throw it out. It's my code to not discard any finished map. (unless it's made by someone who hates my guts and wants to destroy the project) Besides, I like it.

I can retexture it, and tweak it so it gets better. (sinjid, if you're readin this. Just as I did with 20000 sporks)

-I'll fix the lift and mission for now.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I'm just drawing out a level here. It looks to be good so far, but I'm not making it the sort of stereotypical apocalyptic end-of-the-world final level. It'll be more or less ordinary, but I intend on adding in special monsters. By the way, do you mind if I end up editing the A1 shapes file to include special monster sequences? I plan on returning the shotgun Enforcer, as well as perhaps borrowing TGI's super MOAH and a few other things.

One thing I noticed about McFortress -- and I didn't bring this up before, since it would require a lot of reworking -- is that getting from any one point to another is a pretty arduous process. There's no sort of hub area, you know? McFortress is an extremely non-linear level, and while the formula behind it is definitely nothing new (We Be Ground Pounders from EVIL is basically the same thing, really), it has no central place, which makes it damn hard to find the chips in the first place -- but it also makes it damn hard to find the slots. There's a lot of excess running around in McFortress. The problem is, you used up all 1024 polys, which would make it awfully hard to reconstruct the level.

I don't know what you want to make of that; I'm just putting it out there.
goran
Vidmaster

shotguns enforcers: sure
new alien sequenes: sure

tgi moah: I don't exactly know what we're talking about here. Explain more.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

The MOAHs that were black and red, and fired a giant swarm of fast, weak bolts rather than the slow bolts that the blue MOAHs fire. They were a lot more exciting to fight than the blue ones, for sure.
goran
Vidmaster

They're cool
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I agree, which is why I want to bring them back. :P

Drawing this level is fairly easy, so far; about 300 polygons have already been drawn. My plan is to get all the drawing -- and maybe some elevations -- finished tonight. I'll finish off the elevations tomorrow morning before I work, and then hopefully finish texturing before the new year.

Update: taking a break for a while at 568 polygons. The goal behind the level is what 20000 Sporks was intended to be: send out a message to the Pfhor armada to send a ship, such that the AIs can take control of it. The player must reach the tower (which extends out over the surface) from an underground set of structures. It'll be cool, I think.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Dec 29th '06, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.
goran
Vidmaster

20000 sporks will be a a reciever of communication to the mines. Your level communicates with 20000sproks which communicates with the mines.

mines <-> 20000 sporks <-> your level <-> space
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Goran, unless this idea causes problems, I'm going to replace the gray color table for Fighters, Troopers, Enforcers, and Hunters with a very pale blue color table. They'll blend in with the snow, so they look like "snow fighters," etc. Then, if you wish, you could put in a few of these snow Pfhor in the earlier level.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Dec 29th '06, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

Seems like you two are working your arses off... I'm taking a day off though, needed to travel to the city because of some stuff but I will come back tonight and maybe continue the beta testing (if needed, seems like Ryoko has done the majority of it)
assassingao
Vidmaster

Why not some rapid-firing green pfhor? (Same trick as TGI's rapid-firing MOAH)

That would've surpirsed the heck out of someone. Make them fires out fusion bolts or somethin'. Looks can be deceiving.

Hopefully this project will be better than the last year. If I play it, I'll be sure to give you guys a review.
Last edited by assassingao on Dec 29th '06, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

A second voice is always necessary to testing, Dcbob.
goran
Vidmaster

Yeah. Do that ryoko, and show me. Pale blue should look good.
goran
Vidmaster

gao you know what to do with fighters? exploda fighters. It can scare the shit out someone who thinks "I gonna fist this little bastard" [MLaugh] KABOOM!
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:McFortress
-What's with the space texture in the little window notch in the first room?
-The two Enforcers on poly98 were placed in poor taste; having them blast you right as you pass the door wasn't a very nice trick. Perhaps move them a bit further south along that ledge?
-Again, general lack of sound is disconcerting, though I may not have heard it through my music.
-Several monsters standing on boxes and in corners weren't very alert, and it was easy to kill them before they reacted to my presence. Example: the troopers on polys 778/779.
-Why do Minor Fighters and Troopers appear to be Major Fighters and Troopers?
-Most of these lifts could stand to be a little faster, especially 790.
-One of the walls in poly 233 is not flagged "Solid".
1. Mcfortress was the first completed map, and I didnt know that goran was going to merge coffin and fortress together. I fixed that.
2.They were at the southernmost point of the ledge, in the palce with the lights. The reaosn you thought they were so close is because you must have waited too long. They cause some other problems so I just got rid of them.
3. Fixed. I understand there were lots of noisy lights so I made them noisy, but alot of the rooms are big deserted wholes, so I dont think they really needed much sound.
4. Those troopers were part of a big battle at the top of the stairs, and supposedly couldnt see you...

My cat can fly is having problems with my os x computer, it wont let me texture anything.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

Ok, seems a lot of comment on my level (dont worry i dont take it bad). About the battle, alien placement is prolly my weakest place, and ive no idea how easy or hard my levels are cuz im simply bad at playing. The rechargers, if im right there are two of them, but mb i could have put them on more prominent places... The fusion pistol, i agree that is quite stupid, but i changed it into a rifle (downstairs) cuz it seemed too hard to play with the fusion. But is there a rifle in one of the previous levels? Guess so, so ill just change that to the zeus class. Ill try fix this all next morning.

I'll try to look soon to what ryoko was saying all... Goran, is there any edited version of crudelitas or can i jsut work on mine? (if there is, please send it before next morning, im in the same timezone as you are) Oh, and i can give you the poly's of the switches, but what are you planning to do with them? Will you point at them in the terminals somehow?

Im sorry but im just too tired to open forge still today... yawn...
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
assassingao
Vidmaster

goran wrote:gao you know what to do with fighters? exploda fighters. It can scare the shit out someone who thinks "I gonna fist this little bastard" [MLaugh] KABOOM!

That is a great plan to attract a "OMGWTF!" out of somebody.

And while doing so, make a bunch of them drop themselves from ceiling while engaging the first explodapfhor.

Insta-death, though not as painful as being crushed underwater while diving up. I quit playing X-mas submarine (2005) because I gave up.
goran
Vidmaster

Im going to construct visual aids for your level. It's much faster for you to give me those switches, than it is for me to pinpoint them. Since you made the map, you gotta know where they are.

I've already added a recharger, fusiongun, and more pistol ammo tocrudelitas

I'll send you the map so you can have a look and make changes.
assassingao
Vidmaster

How's the progress on this scenario?

How many levels are done?
goran
Vidmaster

Number of levels: 8

6 levels are done
2 are under construction (ryoko, goran)

The textures are done.

The terminals have been written for the majority of the levels.

We're currently betatesting.