Mr. Project DX

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
CryoS
Vidmaster

Welcome back, hope things sort themselves out.
Kuurin
Born on Board

CryoS wrote:Welcome back, hope things sort themselves out.
Thanks. They always do, my problems are more irritating than painful.
Kuurin
Born on Board

Evil robotic kamikaze vacuums are a thing now.

https://youtu.be/Erb-c8xw6rI
Kuurin
Born on Board

Kuurin
Born on Board

Zott
Vidmaster

That's sexy.
Kuurin
Born on Board

Zott wrote:That's sexy.
Thank you. ;)

I got bored and did some more stuff recently.

Very bored...

Last edited by Kuurin on Oct 3rd '16, 05:04, edited 1 time in total.
hawkeyefile
Cyborg

Well shit, that is impressive. It looks like something straight out of 3D Studio.
Kuurin
Born on Board

hawkeyefile wrote:Well shit, that is impressive. It looks like something straight out of 3D Studio.
Just a little Blender. Like making a margarita, only you don't get lime juice in your hangnails. Only problem is that putting things into window/door sized gaps in the map doesn't render right all of the time. I think I had a way to make it work back in the day, but I forgot about it. It's that old adage that the engine doesn't like concavity. So, again with the experimentation.

Lately I've been playing with the 3d terminals again. It's always been that problem where you can't tell if you're still in a terminal or not, so you use a blind latch in Lua that lets you get out of a terminal, but then you've inhibited the action key routine from doing anything, so you end up having to double tap the action key the next time you want to use a terminal if you haven't escaped out of one. Every time I get to a new problem, it's like deja vu where I'm realizing I already did this stuff like six years ago, and I'm still having the same problems because of the limitations of what Lua can do. I want more triggers, really I do.

It should be said, however, that Lua custom field persistence and that kind of thing partly were my fault, but I never got to the point where I did anything with it, so I can't really complain. Now I'm going back and using that stuff, so I'll see where it goes. Still very hacky. I was looking at Crater's bridge gimmick, and it reminded me that the real problem with 3d stuff is that you're still using the hit cylinders which are a boondoggle for anything that isn't a cylinder. You walk off of the proxy polygon and your head goes through a bridge span on the way down. The engine doesn't respect the 3d geometry outside of rendering it when it does. It worked great with sprites back in the day, but anything rectangular sucks noise unless you use many invisible objects and some math to make up a sort of volume. I'm looking into using search tables and trees and CSsy crap like that to Lua it into the game where you can have projectiles and monsters and players respect rectangular prisms of volume. It will probably be slow and messy. But, if the Lua could dig a little bit more into what the engine does, maybe there would be a way around it. I've mostly done stuff with embedded crap and robots when it comes to programming, so digging through the source code makes me cry a little. TL and Hopper are still people whom I idolize in the sense that they know what the hell does what. Also I can do my crap on account of their efforts.

I'm just blabbering now, but I'm still doing stuff. There's just so much to do, you know? Oh fuck it, have a screenshot or two (I can't tell you how annoying it is to mess with terminals.)

Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

This is looking pretty dang cool.
Kuurin
Born on Board

Pfhorrest wrote:This is looking pretty dang cool.
Thanks.

Kuurin
Born on Board

First level is basically mapped out.

Roughly 30,000 square feet equivalent.
Kuurin
Born on Board

More texturing...

hawkeyefile
Cyborg

I'v never seen anything like this before in Aleph One, or any old game engine for that matter, props. I'd love to play it when you release it. These would make for some killer DM maps. Most maps are rather abstract for Aleph One, however from what I've seen, this brings in familiarity with realistic environments that we have all been in. That and it would be cool to blast someone away with a Spnkr in an office.
Kuurin
Born on Board

hawkeyefile wrote:I'v never seen anything like this before in Aleph One, or any old game engine for that matter, props. I'd love to play it when you release it. These would make for some killer DM maps. Most maps are rather abstract for Aleph One, however from what I've seen, this brings in familiarity with realistic environments that we have all been in. That and it would be cool to blast someone away with a Spnkr in an office.
Once I have a full set of textures, I'll release that on Simplici7y with some of the 3d objects. I don't think a lot of this would work well for multiplayer, because it's Lua-ed so weirdly, but if it comes down to it, I'll try and make something work. I'd love to be able to make this work with co-op even, but a lot of the stuff I do barely works in single player right now... It's a thing for a later discussion though.

At the moment, I've got this first level "down", so I'm going to be working on assets to flesh it out, and the scripting, and the terminal art, and so on. I have some great ideas for horrible things the player will encounter in this world, but I want to be more conservative this time around so I can actually get something done. So, yeah, eventually DM will be a possibility, but that's later.
Kuurin
Born on Board

More objects for more fun...

Kuurin
Born on Board

I was listening to this while I did this:

There's a Lua gimmick to mirror the scenery as doors open/close, and also to put that mirror shadow/doppelganger in place of something that looks like the player, since I don't feel the need to worry about 3d player imagery just yet. It does match movement and rotation of the player, at least. This actually was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

At one point, you think "Ohh, why am I putting in a bathroom? There's no way I can make a mirror with this engine..."

Then you think about it until you remember what a mirror is in the first place, 5d space...

That's when you start making bathroom stall doors.

Now I just need a toilet paper holder. I'm thinking that realistically, I'm not going to perfect all of these 3d shapes off the bat. I might obsess a little at first, but I can't just focus on one thing without bogging down (lol) in toilets or the like. I can at least flesh them out to where the proportions are correct, and then go from there. I'm also not letting bathrooms and enemies mix, since precise monster control isn't something I've managed to figure out yet, hence the doppelganger shadow thingy is a well behaved and predictable scenery object.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

In your preceding post, why is the smoke detector on the ground instead of the ceiling?
Kuurin
Born on Board

philtron wrote:In your preceding post, why is the smoke detector on the ground instead of the ceiling?
Our research finds that most fires start at ground level. Also it played well with a survey group. Next question? :rolleyes:

It's a robotic vacuum with certain features:

1. It has audio and PIR sensors that can track people. Normally it would use these to avoid people, but now it does the opposite for reasons.

2. It has an intelligent power management system that involves the ability to recharge itself. It also has an impressively large battery. Unfortunately, there are no hardware failsafes to ensure that the charge balancing cannot be messed with in software. Self-induced overvoltages tend to produce rapid thermal runaway.

Here's an earlier screenshot:

RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Mr. Project DX: Rise of the Doomba
Kuurin
Born on Board

RyokoTK wrote:Mr. Project DX: Rise of the Doomba
I've been playing with these a bit. The sound they make, getting closer and closer, and then *boom*...

They are very effective in giving me the willies. I cranked the intelligence up so even if they wander a bit, if you make a noise sometimes they'll just show up behind you in a corridor and by the time you turn around it's too late.
treellama
Vidmaster

Because everyone's favorite part of Marathon was the lookers
Kuurin
Born on Board

treellama wrote:Because everyone's favorite part of Marathon was the lookers
I know, right?

Kuurin
Born on Board

Decided I wanted exploding gas cylinders in an office setting for some odd reason. So, I needed to make a more convincing flamethrower animation. Turns out that with twice the frames and some bloom you get really lovely results.

I went ahead and made a plugin for the flames themselves. It works best when whatever shoots it puts out one a tick. Cut the speed in half and turn on vertical and horizontal wander for the projectile for added pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYizcsvhMQQ
Kuurin
Born on Board

Here's a video of the gas cylinders in action.

https://youtu.be/pZPPw53-SCg