Hd Critters Pack

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
General Tacticus
Cyborg

So I just uploaded a plugin to simplicity that replaces the sprites of VacBobs and other fauna with updated versions, finally filling all the gaps left by the XBLA shapes.

Feedback, advice, assistance, and personal insults go here; I'd like to fix any major flaws before moving on to my next project.

http://simplici7y.com/items/hi-res-critters-and-vacbobs
General-RADIX
Cyborg

Haven't played far enough into Infinity to have encountered any VacBoBs yet, but the critters look/animate fine and blend in well with the Freeverse guys.
welcome to the scene of the crash
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Amazing work! And you said you weren't good with creatures. :D

It's amazing to finally have a complete set in as relatively professional way as we can.

If you want, I could add it to the inf freeverse plugin. I should probably call it the "Community/Freeverse Infinity Compilation" or something like that.

[edit]
Dude, I can't get over how a fantastic job you did on the vacbobs. Go on to your next project, whatever it is, and be proud!
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

One really minor issue, I hate to bring it up. The vacbobs are a little tall. They should be about as tall as the marine, but unfortunately are quite a bit taller. I know the heck you went through messing with the shapes patches, so if it's not easy to fix then don't worry about it.

Maybe if you can modify the shapes patch make the height around 85%?

Or would that look funny? maybe the marine can just be short?

[EDIT]I know the official map file had problems with the exploding vacbobs being color table 2. But shouldn't the exploding vacbobs be green not copper for colortable 3? Looks like you did it perfect in the images but got confused in the mml?
I went to colortable 0 ones for the HD Monsters plugin if that was what you meant?
General Tacticus
Cyborg

The problem is that although the the assimilated Vacbobs are used, they are set to use the wrong color table. Instead of using clut03 they use clut02. [edit: oops, you already knew that] A physics patch could fix that, but it might break some custom content.

It looks like I did get the armor colors mixed up... Fixing that now.

As for the size... well, the original sprites were way too tall to begin with. It would be possible to fix (I think the scale value allows decimals) but the collision bounds might not match up then. I'll run some tests.
General Tacticus
Cyborg

Here's an updated patch file, but I'm not 100% sure about the size change. Think it works?
Attachments
VacBob patch.ShPa.zip
Changed scale multiplier to 5 from 6
(166.69 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

I have no idea why I thought the originals were shorter. These do feel like Peter Dinklege in a suit. So let's just stick with your original shapes patch. :)

Thanks!

[EDIT] Do you have the original png images for the vacbob images 10 - 14? (I'd need the three color tables) I'd like to make some subtle firing glow masks, as that is what I did for all the other monsters. If not, it's ok. I just wanted to not go back and forth if I can help it.
[edit2] Nevermind, the glow masks don't have to be that precise. As long as I'm not decompressing and re-compressing the main texture, which I don't think I need too.
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

Hmmm, I downloaded the new version and... well, see the screen shots.
I didn't see any problem with a large VacBob: it might just be the suit has some features that require it to be large to contain them. I must admit, though, that I didn't even notice a size discrepancy.
Using Windows 10.
Attachments
AConvertedChurchinVeniceItaly_0005.png
VeniVidiVici_0003.png
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Hmm, I wonder if the hi res player sprites are just short?

Anyway game play wise, not only dose it looks slightly strange to have vacbobs short, they are also much harder to hit. XD So I agree, better to go with general's original vision (which is closer to the sprites they are replacing anyway).
General Tacticus
Cyborg

Ok then, I'll use the old patch for the simplici7y update.

*edit*
Updated.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Ok, so I finally have the complete set re-uploaded to simplici7y. Since this marks the point where the set is now finally in a completed state, I renamed them "Community/Freeverse Plugin" which I feel better reflects my and everyone elses role in bringing this together. I was going to add the word "Infinity" but A) it should work in M2 just fine and B ) grew too long a name ;)

Regarding the VacBobs, I took the liberty of adding glows to the firing sprites as well as adding a little glow to that light on the top of the helmet.

Only now that I think about it, I could make the face in the helmet glow a la battlestar galactica (The newer one of course). Think that would be cool? or too much?
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

Oh, I forgot to mention that I think the VacBobs look great. Good job.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.
General Tacticus
Cyborg

Thanks for the kind words!

For the glowing face plate: I didn't make the sprites with that in mind, but it might work if the glow is very faint.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'll play with it tomorrow, If I like the results I'll put it in. :)
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

I gave it a shot and didn't work out. Didn't really look any different.