The Stupid Questions Thread.

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

No, see, in order to make the community helpful and more friendly, we have to start answering people's questions, whether we know the answers or not.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

3371-Alpha wrote:Just because something's commonly used in a particular way doesn't make it conventional.
https://www.google.com/search?q=define+conventional wrote: based on or in accordance with what is generally done or believed
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

JonathanM2D wrote:Hello. I just discovered the website. And it seems really good. I got a Question. I'm playing on Marathon 2: Durandal with AlephOne and I can't get the exact same controls than on the XBLA release with an Xbox 360 gamepad.
When I try to map the left and right triggers, the D-Pad and the right joystick, the game don't want to recognize them.R
And it's pretty annoying because I don't want to use LT and RT to look left and right anymore. Is it possible to map these buttons without needing Xpadder or other 3rd party softwares ?

I know this is a bad excuse, but sorry if I made errors in the text I am french.
As I think you've realized, Jonathan, I don't think anyone has solution to your problem. I feel like there should be some relatively simple way to remapping LT and RT, so I hope you figure something out.
JonathanM2D
Born on Board

philtron wrote:
JonathanM2D wrote:Hello. I just discovered the website. And it seems really good. I got a Question. I'm playing on Marathon 2: Durandal with AlephOne and I can't get the exact same controls than on the XBLA release with an Xbox 360 gamepad.
When I try to map the left and right triggers, the D-Pad and the right joystick, the game don't want to recognize them.R
And it's pretty annoying because I don't want to use LT and RT to look left and right anymore. Is it possible to map these buttons without needing Xpadder or other 3rd party softwares ?

I know this is a bad excuse, but sorry if I made errors in the text I am french.
As I think you've realized, Jonathan, I don't think anyone has solution to your problem. I feel like there should be some relatively simple way to remapping LT and RT, so I hope you figure something out.[/quote

I think that Aleph One doesn't recognize LT and RT and the right joystick as buttons. So I think that's why I can't re-map them.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

Well it sounds like you're able to use LT/RT to look left and right? If that is true then I think that means that Aleph One DOES recognize those buttons; otherwise, how could you use them to look left and right?
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

Wrkncacnter wrote:No, see, in order to make the community helpful and more friendly, we have to start answering people's questions, whether we know the answers or not.
RyokoTK wrote:whyd you fuckin' spout off about controllers then, moron
As you can see we treat each other with a great deal of respect in this community (my ass).
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

3371-Alpha wrote:Thank you Wrk for uselessly repeating a point I already tried to make
3371-Alpha wrote:Wrks a dick
3371-Alpha wrote:For a while I was worried that the only thing this community cared about was useless netmaps & other crap, but you renewed my faith.
3371-Alpha wrote: As you can see we treat each other with a great deal of respect in this community (my ass).
Agreed. You're such a nice person yourself. I don't know why you're being a dick to Windbreaker, of all people.
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

patrick wrote:one of "us"
You said it, not me. Though to be fair most of mine were called for.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
General-RADIX
Cyborg

Unrelated: did anyone happen to save Phobos-Romulus's old pic of the Marathon AIs (the one where they're all floating heads a la our brief glimpse of Durandal's avatar in M1)? I asked him about it a while ago and even he couldn't find it again.
welcome to the scene of the crash
Tunaspirit
Born on Board

Also, how can you edit the FOV for Rubicon? Copypasting the FOV script into the Scripts folder doesn't work unlike with all the other scenarios, and I don't want to go back to playing with headaches.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

If it's anything like Eternal, there's probably a FOV tag either in a script that's taking priority over the FOV script you want to use, or else embedded in the map file (and thus taking priority over all external scripts). You'll have to find where that FOV tag is and remove it for your FOV script to work.
Tunaspirit
Born on Board

Pfhorrest wrote:If it's anything like Eternal, there's probably a FOV tag either in a script that's taking priority over the FOV script you want to use, or else embedded in the map file (and thus taking priority over all external scripts). You'll have to find where that FOV tag is and remove it for your FOV script to work.
Thanks for the help, I opened the Rubicon Map.sceA file in Rubicon Data with Notepad++ and replaced all the instances of all the <view> blocks including the <fov> tags with a blank space, and the FOV script worked fine after that.

EDIT: Ok, while I managed to get a higher FOV, doing so borked the fog, as many other textures and terminal picts were missing. I tried to only edit the fov normal values to 120 rather than deleting all FOV blocks entirely, but the same problem still persisted. After some further testing, I discovered that through replacing all the <fov normal="XX" entries (both =80 and =90, excluding the comments) the only maximum allowable FOV for Rubicon is 99 before it starts glitching out, as any FOV values including 100 or higher cause the fog and terminal picts to not display. 99 is an improvement over 80, but I still want to reach 120. I have no idea what causes Rubicon to glitch out with a FOV higher than 99, maybe it's the rate=x in the FOV tags, but I'm not entirely sure. Does anyone else know what's the deal?
PikaCommando
Spazeroid

Hi, I'm trying to host a game in the first Marathon, but the map just doesn't load. I'm stuck on the chat screen. I've portforwarded and everything too but clicking 'Play' doesn't work ('Cancel' works though).

Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

You need someone to join before you can start a multiplayer game. As you can see in that screenshot, you're the only one there except for some AFK douche.
PikaCommando
Spazeroid

Can I use my laptop to run Marathon as another player and use my own internet connection to join the server hosted on my desktop? I tried to do that, and I still can't click 'Play' either.

Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

That should have worked. Are you sure you clicked on the game and clicked 'join' on your laptop? Since you're on a local network in this case, an easier way to do it is instead of clicking find internet game, use the other button to join a local game.

Also, your laptop and desktop have to be using the same version of a1, and the same scenario.
DeChief
Born on Board

Marathon community confirmed worse than aids.
General-RADIX
Cyborg

I was asked over on me blog last night about this long (17-ish chapters) fic that they couldn't find anymore; the premise was that Tycho finally forgave Durandal after the latter sacrificed himself for his siblings, and teamed up with the Security Officer to resurrect Durandal via Jjaro tech.

It was also originally posted on 4chumps (or -chan, whatever), hence why I'd never heard of it 'til now. Anon said they did a search and couldn't find it; I hope anyone here knows which fic it was (and ideally saved it), 'cuz if not, and my own Google-fu proves inadequate, I might have to directly engage with 4chumps, which I...rrreeeeeaaallly do not want to do.
welcome to the scene of the crash