Mararthon: Yuge / YugePax

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Thanks Sankara, these are great.

I made a few edits to some of them. Mostly I just added sounds where there was liquid. In one case, I had to remove the Goo assignment from some polygons, just due to how some things work internally. My generator wasn't able to find a valid polygon to spawn friendly monsters (I check to make sure I don't spawn them on polygons with liquid), so it was causing problems. I don't think it will change the behavior of anything though.

For your platform reveal large intersection, I removed the doors at the entrances. They will often be redundant with doors the generator creates, so they don't really work well in the full maps.

Then there are just some extra modifications I have to do to everyone's maps. I've attached the modified version of your maps, if you're interested in seeing what I did.
Attachments
SankaraModified.zip
(104.43 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
Sankara
Born on Board

Hey thanks.

You can change whatever the hell you want. It's cool. You know I actually started putting in doors because you mentioned that more detailed maps might cause some trouble, and I wanted to reduce view distances. I'm used to map-making in forge though, where that was a recurring problem, and now that I think of it I don't know if Aleph One has those same limitations. Do you happen to know?

I just want to send you a quick correction though. I modified something in the version of PlatformReveal you sent me. I realized I misaligned the ceiling height of a polygon and fixed it up real quick. It's just a detail for looks. Here's the corrected version.

I've already drawn up a new Medium Room, so I'm back on the grind. It's not a hard and fast goal, but I'd like to make another 20-25 maps or so. If there's anything I'm consistently doing that doesn't jive with your system, or if you have any suggestions for me, I'd map with them in mind.
Attachments
PlatformReveal (LargeIntersection22).sceA.zip
(7.84 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I think it's safe to say we have not been worried about view distance problems to this point, as AlephOne handles that kind of stuff much better than back in the day. What I was talking about was just generating so many polygons the map will crash. I really don't know how many you need to hit that point though, and we may not even be close.

One thing you could do, if you want, is label your stairs. You can see how I was doing it in my edits to your maps. You'd just label each stair ST_# where # starts at 1 and represents the staircase number. So all stairs in one staircase would have the same ID. That just tells my level generator to texture them the same way. That would save me some steps when integrating your maps.
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

Submitting my contribution now, 19 pieces altogether. Intersection1 was updated a bit since I last posted it, but only to remove ambient sounds and their matching objects.

This is a fun project, and a neat little mapping exercise if nothing else. Excited to see how the finished product turns out!
PresYugeParts.zip
(86.51 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
treellama wrote:Weland 1.4.3 fixes item drawing issues. What version are you using?

Also, SourceForge bad: https://github.com/treellama/weland
Ah, it was 1.4.0. Guess I wasn't as up-to-date as I thought. Thanks for the link!
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
Sankara
Born on Board

These are pretty cool, President People. Yugeroom 2 has an awesome atmosphere, and the lighting makes Corner 2 look badass. I wasn't really paying attention earlier, but is lighting going to be retained in the finished product? It'd be a shame if that went to waste.

I just want to point out two things. In your HallwayIntersection 1 map, I think you forgot to activate one of the platforms. The elevator directly in front of the player's starting position doesn't lift when you walk onto it, but the one behind it does. Maybe that was intentional. Just mentioning it.

And the last thing is about the lava height on Hallway 1. Now, I like the gameplay mechanic of this yugepart. If the player's not saved any grenades you've designed it to penalize him by making him take a dip in the lava to get to the other side. Fair enough.

But I noticed that the lava was just barely high enough for me to swim out of it half the time. Maybe I just suck at this, but I could only get out if I raised my player from the bottom of the pool and looked straight up the entire time. Again, maybe this is intentional or I am untalented with the cyborg in liquids, but I'm just telling you my experience.

I think they're good.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Shading is not preserved, and neither are solid lines. I noticed you were using some, hopefully they aren't necessary. I'm still going through these, I'll let you know if there are any major problems.
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

Sankara wrote:Yugeroom 2 has an awesome atmosphere, and the lighting makes Corner 2 look badass. I wasn't really paying attention earlier, but is lighting going to be retained in the finished product? It'd be a shame if that went to waste.
Thanks! These both were made before I knew that lighting would not be preserved. A bummer, but being able to ignore lighting after that sped up the mapping process quite a bit. I was very tempted to even texture both YugeRooms, heh.
Sankara wrote:In your HallwayIntersection 1 map, I think you forgot to activate one of the platforms. The elevator directly in front of the player's starting position doesn't lift when you walk onto it, but the one behind it does. Maybe that was intentional. Just mentioning it.
It's not meant to be a platform, but a vent to jump back down after clearing the upper floor. It could just as easily have been a one-way platform, I suppose.
Sankara wrote:And the last thing is about the lava height on Hallway 1. Now, I like the gameplay mechanic of this yugepart. If the player's not saved any grenades you've designed it to penalize him by making him take a dip in the lava to get to the other side. Fair enough.

But I noticed that the lava was just barely high enough for me to swim out of it half the time. Maybe I just suck at this, but I could only get out if I raised my player from the bottom of the pool and looked straight up the entire time. Again, maybe this is intentional or I am untalented with the cyborg in liquids, but I'm just telling you my experience.
I probably just hadn't thought it through completely. While there is an item polygon in the starting area, there may be a chance the player will not receive ammo for their switch-toggling weapons, if they have any. The lava's tide light won't be preserved, but I can add some stairs in case that problem persists. Thanks for pointing it out.

EDIT: Here, how's this? I added a slow platform up, so you'll take a bit of damage if you opt out of using a grenade.
Pres-Hallway1-edit.sceA.zip
(3.93 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
Wrkncacnter wrote:I noticed you were using [solid lines], hopefully they aren't necessary.
They aren't, I don't think. More of a precautionary measure/marker. On a few YugeParts, I added narrow tunnels that allowed the monster triggers to slip through to other areas of the map. These tunnels are already both very high off the rest of the map and monster impassable, so it should be fine, gameplay-wise. They'll be visible on the automap as long as they aren't marked as non-transparent, though.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

OK, I went through these and there were very few problems. Thanks a lot for annotating your stairs!

Sankara is right about Hallway1, I'm not sure it'll work well in Yuge as-is. In some cases you won't have weapons capable of triggering the switch. Liquid tides ARE preserved, so if you add at least a red can, it could be used as is, if you make it easy to exit the lava. Or you could add stairs. Up to you.

Your large intersection - it looks like there was something drawn out for a switch or recharger, but is unused. Just wanted to make sure you didn't intend to add something there.

I modified your save so that you could move around it from both directions, just since the space seemed to be there, and I think it'd help with the flow of maps.

Your MediumRoom1, I sped up the platform activated by the switch just slightly, as I feel like it might get annoying waiting for it if you run into it a lot.

Overall, great job. Thank you.
DeChief
Born on Board

Wrkncacnter wrote:
Windbreaker wrote:I can't fully commit to any of this until we see a title screen at least.
You're right, of course.
If that's the actual title screen, I am 1000000% playing it.
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

Wrkncacnter wrote:Sankara is right about Hallway1, I'm not sure it'll work well in Yuge as-is. In some cases you won't have weapons capable of triggering the switch. Liquid tides ARE preserved, so if you add at least a red can, it could be used as is, if you make it easy to exit the lava. Or you could add stairs. Up to you.
I'll definitely add a 1x can somewhere in there. Maybe on the large platform, so it rises once you hit the switch. I completely missed the part about placing powerups. I may place a few in other YugeParts.
Wrkncacnter wrote:Your large intersection - it looks like there was something drawn out for a switch or recharger, but is unused. Just wanted to make sure you didn't intend to add something there.
Ah, that was a recharger. Guess I forgot to annotate that one.
Wrkncacnter wrote:Your MediumRoom1, I sped up the platform activated by the switch just slightly, as I feel like it might get annoying waiting for it if you run into it a lot.
Yeah, probably for the best. Maybe I'll take a page out of Sankara's book and whip up a couple variations of the room to break it up as well.

Thanks for the edits and feedback!
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

the time of yuge draws nigh.

Wrk and I are making good progress on the shapes, physics, lua, liquids, etc that you'll see in Yuge, and the story should be mostly finished up, as well. I'm really surprised by the sheer quantity and quality of yugeparts that a surprising number of people have contributed to this project, and I think there's more than enough variety especially for the main 30-level scenario, but also the bigly bonus packs as well.

Having said that, here are the next eighty seven yugeparts that I put together after I uploaded my bigly bits collection a while ago. I've already shared them with Wrk (except for yugepart 105), but I figured I'd post them up here for posterity or whatever. I'd like detailed notes of each and all eighty seven yugeparts formatted in WordPerfect, mailed on a thumb drive via Priority Mail Express so I can go through them before the June 30 deadline. Thanks folks!
Attachments
simply bigly.zip
(427.38 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Windbreaker wrote:I figured I'd post them up here for posterity or whatever.
If there's any interest, I might make all of my modified versions of everyone's yugeparts available once this is all over, since I had to modify pretty much every one of them in one way or another. Even if it was just to delete the connection polygons and change the name to meet my internal needs.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

President People wrote: I'll definitely add a 1x can somewhere in there. Maybe on the large platform, so it rises once you hit the switch. I completely missed the part about placing powerups. I may place a few in other YugeParts.
I guess my concern about putting it somewhere in the lava is if you come across this room with almost no health and no way to shoot the switch. If you die attempting to cross or get the can, you'll need to reload a save and hope you have one with enough health to make it work. Or in the worst case, you need to restart the level using level select.

Maybe it's not worth worrying about, as saving the game with only a tiny bit of health is asking for trouble no matter what.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Windbreaker wrote:I'd like detailed notes of each and all eighty seven yugeparts formatted in WordPerfect, mailed on a thumb drive via Priority Mail Express so I can go through them before the June 30 deadline. Thanks folks!
I assume you're joking about the exact format and method of delivery, but I did want to take you seriously and provide detailed feedback for each one of these. Hope this is satisfactory.
Attachments
biglybit-notes.zip
(370 Bytes) Downloaded 283 times
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

Wrkncacnter wrote:I assume you're joking about the exact format and method of delivery, but I did want to take you seriously and provide detailed feedback for each one of these. Hope this is satisfactory.
You think this is some sort of joke? I can't even get close to looking at the notes you linked here. I hope you have that thumb drive in the mail by 2-3PM MTN time so it gets picked up today, otherwise it'll go out tomorrow, which means it won't be until Thursday that I receive it, at which point I'd have to overnight my attachments back to you with UPS or FedEx which I really don't wanna do because I don't like their tracking interfaces.
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

Fixed some stuff.

Most of these are adjustments to the heights within the zone border tunnels I mentioned earlier - I forgot that you could effectively seal it off to both monsters and the automap by making the floor and ceiling meet, so solid lines are definitely not needed now.

Individual notes are in the small readme within the folder:
PresYugeEdits.zip
(40.8 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Actually, after taking a closer look at your Medium Room 1, if you don't hit the switch before you jump down, you're stuck in a hole unless I'm missing something. I don't think I can use it in its current form.
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

Wrkncacnter wrote:Actually, after taking a closer look at your Medium Room 1, if you don't hit the switch before you jump down, you're stuck in a hole unless I'm missing something. I don't think I can use it in its current form.
No, you'd be trapped down there. Another instance where I'd assumed the player would have a switch-toggling weapon. In any case, I did the zone borders in such a way that the monsters would wake up before you jumped down. Both of these are fixed here:
Spoiler:
• Added a door opposite the switch, forcing you to press it before proceeding.

• Fixed zone borders between starting hall and courtyard.

• Added 1x can by the slow door.

• Added an item polygon on the climbable rocks.
Pres-MediumRoom1-edit.sceA.zip
(6.98 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Sorry to keep finding problems, but point 55 is now connected to 2 different overlapping polygons, which causes problems for my generator. Overlapping areas have to have completely separate points, and they can't share the same X, Y coords.
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

Alright, how's this one look? Moved the first tunnel, but it serves the same purpose. Also changed the new door a bit.
Pres-MediumRoom1-edit2.sceA.zip
(7 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
Sankara
Born on Board

I've got a pack of about 25 more maps coming in just a few hours. It's 2 hours from June 30th where I'm from, but America's still before the deadline.
Sankara
Born on Board

Just a quick last minute question. If I exploit your ST_# tag, could I get areas of the map textured uniformly wherever I want? Because I have a couple sections with a lot of intricate detail in polygons sometimes smaller than 1/8 x 1/8 WU. It'd look a little freaky if they were all different colors.

This attached intersection piece is a simpler example. You see that bath or well in the middle of the map? Its floor elevation is not level. If I labeled every polygon there as ST_1, I can guess that it'd make the floors all the same colour. But would it have any effect on the walls and ceiling? I'm tempted to label every single polygon as ST_1 just so it doesn't look like a puke rainbow.

Then again it's not that important and I'm not sure I care enough to tag each polygon. Just wondering.

Second question, do the stairs on the ST_# tag need to be adjacent to each other? Can they be on opposite sides of a room if I want them the same colour?

Thanks.
Attachments
WelandScreenSnapz002.png
Prefect's bathroom.sceA.zip
(6.11 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
Last edited by Sankara on Jun 29th '17, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

ST_# will force the floor textures as well as the surrounding wall colors to match. So if every polygon had that tag, all floor and wall textures would be the same. I do not believe it affects ceilings, however, due to complications with landscape ceilings. So, I guess the answer to your question is yes, mostly.

By default, all polygons with the same floor height will get the same texture.
Sankara
Born on Board

Well it's June 30th here, and I've got the rest of your maps.

Here's 2 Yugerooms, an ammo room, 2 starts, 6 intersections, 2 corners, 2 medium rooms, 6 hallways, and 8 saves. 26 parts.

I know I went a little overboard on the saves, but I figured that if I made one or two that stood out they'd be easily recognizable and too repetitive. Last you mentioned you had 9 saves for 30 (?) levels . I made a couple variations so they don't stick out. They're all more or less plagiarisms of each other.

If I missed anything I can do it over again. Just let me know. Also if anything looks fucked up texture-wise, give me a chance to play with your ST_# thing to see if I can fix it.
Attachments
TheRestOfMyShit.zip
(162.08 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
Adminn_1
Cyborg

Here's 5 Yugerooms. I made it in time! I told you. [spnkr] [a1logo] :ph34r:
Attachments
Yugenstein 3D.zip
(28.45 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
Last edited by Adminn_1 on Jun 30th '17, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.
Please donate to NEFX today. https://ko-fi.com/adminn1nefx