Rampancy Rubicon

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Just thought I'd give everyone a heads-up: the Rampancy duo started their playthrough of Rubicon X last night, which they will be doing through a series of livestreams. If you keep your eyes peeled, you can probably join them to watch their livestream as it happens, but even if you can't manage that, you can watch all of their livestreams after they happen on their YouTube channel.
Shocktart
Cyborg

Like watching paint dry those two.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

Shocktart, you are obviously not a paint enthusiast.
Shocktart
Cyborg

I stopped watching their Marathon 1 playthrough when Blackstar just outright refused to go through doors leaving Narcogen to go in alone, this after 20 minutes of discussion about whether or not they're ready for what is behind said door.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

Classic Blackstar.
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

It's pretty much reversed now. B-star runs all over tearing the place apart while N-gen just plods along seemingly in a daze. I think he's been too much into Destiny type games and has forgotten how to work a Marathon level.

On the other hand, one o the reasons for the videos is to show you everything in each level though If I remember correctly, they missed the second pistol in Veni Vidi Cursavi.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

HelviusRufus wrote:though If I remember correctly, they missed the second pistol in Veni Vidi Cursavi.
The fools! Lead them to the guillotine and put their heads on spikes!

(They've also been having a lot of software/network issues lately which definitely slows things down.)
ravenshining
Vidmaster

philtron wrote:(They've also been having a lot of software/network issues lately which definitely slows things down.)
Plus now they're doing it live with chat, which distracts their attention.

Narcogen's navigational frustrations do bring up an interesting idea in regards to elevation- polygon height filtering ala Forge. Could such a thing be done in Lua, hiding and revealing polygons from the overhead map based on height, or would that have to be programmed in?

As small as their channel is, I hope they catch the eye of some programmer to send our way.
Shocktart wrote:I stopped watching their Marathon 1 playthrough when Blackstar just outright refused to go through doors leaving Narcogen to go in alone, this after 20 minutes of discussion about whether or not they're ready for what is behind said door.
That was pfhor years ago. While their gaming skills haven't changed much, their delivery has improved a lot since then, making their newer videos a lot more fun to watch.

Even Aleph One has improved a lot since then.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

ravenshining wrote:Plus now they're doing it live with chat, which distracts their attention.
That may be true, but the live chat is half the reason I watch them. Interactivity is more fun than passivity.
ravenshining wrote: Narcogen's navigational frustrations do bring up an interesting idea in regards to elevation- polygon height filtering ala Forge. Could such a thing be done in Lua, hiding and revealing polygons from the overhead map based on height, or would that have to be programmed in?
That could not be done because it is Heresy. Confusion is Hallowed, for it pulls the Chaff from the Wheat. Only the Chosen are permitted to See.
General-RADIX
Cyborg

What confuses me is the guys' amusement at a certain character having the surname 'Renton'. What exactly about it marks Rubicon as being a product of its time? Some kinda reference I'm not getting?
welcome to the scene of the crash
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

It's hard to say, but it may be this.
General-RADIX
Cyborg

HelviusRufus wrote:It's hard to say, but it may be this.
Ah, that'd explain it.
welcome to the scene of the crash
ravenshining
Vidmaster

I realised we've all been referring to an outdated flowchart, so, I made a new one. Then I found some other folks have also done this, but mine is much smaller, you can see it all at once.
Attachments
Rubicon Tree.png
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

Good map. Really well done.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Indeed, very nicely put together.
narcogen
Spazeroid

It's been very helpful! Will definitely be useful when we go back to play the other planks.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Just thought I'd let everyone know that Rampancy has finished their series, in which they covered all of the major Planks, beginning with the Tycho Plank, followed by the Pfhor Plank, and ending with the Salinger Plank. You can watch all of their videos here. Note that most of them are 2-3 hours long (they're archived livestreams, not edited videos), so you'll definitely want to watch them in parts.
Shocktart
Cyborg

I actually can't wait until they play Marathon Eternal, its a scenario that should be right up their alley.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

I'm looking forward to that as well.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Yeah, me too. I think they'll really like being able to use all the Pfhor's weapons, especially since that means they'll never really run out of ammo. On the other hand, I think they'll be less enthusiastic about...
Spoiler:
...the fisheye dream levels and the hordes of PiD baddies.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Maybe by the time they get around to playing it I'll have gotten around to replacing the hordes.

Ha ha, yeah right, me get around to anything...
exepa
Born on Board

This see great!

I'm about to start playing Rubicon X soon.
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

PerseusSpartacus wrote: I think they'll really like being able to use all the Pfhor's weapons,
I think they'll like getting a decent initial weapon issue when scratch starting a level.
That's one o my favorite features of Eternal.
Scratch starting seems to be one o their biggest problems.
Flowers
Cyborg

Hmm, since there's discussion about Eternal going on, I figure it'd be okay to ask here,(I hope it is, anyway) but is level 3 in Eternal broken for anyone else? I recently began my first playthrough and it says to find a uplink chip but there never was an uplink chip. I even looked up a walkthrough just incase it was my fault, but no, the chip never appeared. I searched around where it said it'd be (and elsewhere) for almost an hour and I am certain it never spawned. I restarted the level twice and it just doesn't spawn. I skipped the level after a while and I'm about 12 levels in now and haven't experienced anything like that since, but it was certainly odd.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

The walkthrough may have been outdated; at one point the chip was always is the same place, but now it's randomly in one of several different places.